Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic 2003- Keyhole broken on passenger side cardoor

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kliu25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic 2003- Keyhole broken on passenger side cardoor

Hi guys I decided to post on some honda civic forums before I go to the shop and get destroyed by charges just so I can see if this problem is common/uncommon/cheap/expensive and also get recommendations.

Truthfully I'm not that big into cars and the most I've done is change my brakes myself just to avoid the costs and not because I'm car-crazy.

For awhile now I've had a jammed driver's side door which I've been too lazy to fix or get it fixed by someone else and so when I insert my key it doesn't turn and instead just sort of wiggles. That's not a problem as I've been using my passenger's side door to get in and out of my car and lock it.

However, maybe a month ago (I never got around to fixing this problem) I inserted my key into the keyhole and when I unlocked the door the lock itself ended up turning with the key, snapped, and fell inside of the car door. Now there''s just a hole where there should be a lock.

So, I've literally just been leaving my car unlocked on a college campus and have so far not been jacked for the last two months. I'm a moron for not doing anything about it immediately but here I am.

My question is:

Is this common? I didn't seen any posts on the forum about this specific problem and I was wondering whether or not anyone's had to deal with this.

How expensive is this to fix? A guy from the dealership told me that it could be just the lock and this shouldn't be too bad but I'd figure I'd ask someone on these boards first.

Thanks in advance for posting.
Old 01-06-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic 2003- Keyhole broken on passenger side cardoor

ive actually never heard of a lock cylinder falling out, and it shouldnt be too hard to fix once you remove the door panel from the inside (5 minute job) and look to see what happened. you might need a new lock cylinder but prolly can reuse the old one with a new handle assembly.