Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Shift out of Park issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warmachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Shift out of Park issue

Hello all. I recently purchased a used (obviously) '01 Civic LX. It has intermittent issues with shifting out of park. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Below is more details to what is going on.

Vehicle: 2001 Civic LX Automatic

Problem: Intermittently can not shift out of park

Other Information: Brake lights come on. Most times I can shift out of park without problem. I can hold the brake down and repeatedly press the button on the shifter and it will eventually free up and I will be able to shift out of park. Using my spare key I can manually release it through the hole next to park.

Thank you!
Old 12-17-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shift out of Park issue

when you press the brake, do you hear a click sound next to the shifter? there is a safety switch that locks the shifter if your foot is not on the brake. if switch is broken or intermittent problem, it can cause this to happen. you can take the console apart and leave the trim off so next time it happens you can see if the mechanism is moving. more than likely its that. if you are not hearing a click, then the shifter will be stuck in park. since you are able to release it using the key in the shifter, i doubt its a mechanical problem with the shifter itself.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Thanks. The dealer also mentioned the shift interlock switch and solenoid. But like always they don't know without looking at it. I would prefer to purchase the part myself and replace it. Up until this point I have always had a manual transmission and never had these problems.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

OK, I just went down to the parking garage and tried it a few times. When it doesn't work, the brake lights still come on and I can still hear a clicking sound in the dash. Perhaps the shift-solenoid switch? I don't ever have issues starting so I don't think it would be the neutral safety switch.
Old 12-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

You're not supposed to hear it in the dash, more like your shift **** area
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

I am still at work so I couldn't take the cover off yet. It sounded like the dash but I am certain it is the solenoid because it clicked every time I pulled up on the shift button.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Sorry about the fuzzy pics, phone cam:
Name:  autointerlock.jpg
Views: 13299
Size:  93.6 KB
Name:  autointerlock2.jpg
Views: 13733
Size:  98.0 KB
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Is that a dealer manual? my alldata account shows identical images and the words are word for word. Thanks for that though, I was going to test those this weekend.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Warmachine
Is that a dealer manual? my alldata account shows identical images and the words are word for word. Thanks for that though, I was going to test those this weekend.
Name:  servicemanual.jpg
Views: 13045
Size:  69.6 KB
The following users liked this post:
tcbxr1200 (10-27-2021)
Old 12-17-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i mustve got the first edition lol. mine says 01-04 civic
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

I've had to tape the cover back on 3 times. lol
Old 12-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Warmachine
helms manual, pricey, but worth every penny.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage...q=helms+manual
or the good old haynes
http://www.haynes.com/
most of the cases we don't ask what is in the manual, we have it
I have both so i don't need to take the helms to get greasy for easier jobs.
Also have similar for my other car. worth every penny
Old 08-16-2016
Registered!!

max.andre82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Warmachine, what up i have the SAME exact issue. Brake lights comes on, i hear the clicks, the fuses are fine.

so what was your end result if i may ask.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2020
Registered!!

Jaycob Vasquez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by max.andre82
Hey Warmachine, what up i have the SAME exact issue. Brake lights comes on, i hear the clicks, the fuses are fine.

so what was your end result if i may ask.

Thanks
did you ever figure this issue out? I’m having the same problem. 2003 Honda Civic gets stuck in park. If I turn the car off and on once it gets stuck it is completely fine. I’m not sure if it s the neutral safety switch or the shift interlock switch and solenoid.
Old 04-07-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jaycob Vasquez
did you ever figure this issue out? I’m having the same problem. 2003 Honda Civic gets stuck in park. If I turn the car off and on once it gets stuck it is completely fine. I’m not sure if it s the neutral safety switch or the shift interlock switch and solenoid.
Original thread is 10 years old my guess would the interlock solenoid. Maybe the park contacts are getting worn out. Have you tried pushing the shifter farther into park?
Old 01-31-2021
Stunt Driver

alexp is an unknown quantity at this point

My Fix 2010 Civic AT
A Bad 15amp fuse for HORN LT. Symptoms: AT Stuck in Park, No horn now brake lights.
Old 09-29-2023
Registered!!

esmanuel is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, for those who are suffering due to shift stuck in park I recommend to check TPS function livedata sweep check
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)