Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Blower Motor Relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bugout57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Blower Motor Relay

Any idea where it is located?
Old 03-13-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I think the location is shown in the 2nd post of the thread I linked.
Old 03-13-2011
Registered!!

Thanks, CraigW, I didnt see the link you posted yesterday, my bad, I took it all apart again today and opened up the transistor as per the link and it tested as an open circuit. So at least I ordered the correct part. I will install Tuesday along with new cabin filters and hopefully that is the end of this adventure. I'll post Tuesday the results of the install. Thanks again for your help and patience with my dumbness, I really appreciate it.
Sam
Old 03-13-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I think it will take care of the problem for you.

Glad to help out.
Old 03-15-2011
Registered!!

CraigW, Thanks again for all the help, install went perfectly along with new cabin filters, the blower works!! I think my first mistake was in using the NAPA Gold filters last change out, not that they are bad but I didn't think to change them sooner since they are a smaller micron filter. Oh well, live and learn: cabin filters (Silver) 11.00, power transistor 47.00, the advice from this forum...priceless!!
Sam
Old 12-03-2011
Registered!!

aj13204 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
The "blower motor relay" is in the under hood box. iirc it is the big metal cased one ??

The BLU/WHT lead to the blower motor would have +12volts present if the fuse and the relay are working. The transistor provides the ground path to operate the fan.

By chance does the fan spin for a very short time when turned on, then stop ??
I am have this problem with my fan spinning for a very short time when I turn on the car then it stops. What do u think the problem is?
Old 12-03-2011

^^^ 01-05 ??

Likely the TCO on the transistor assembly has opened.
Old 07-17-2019
Registered!!

hushmunky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
The "blower motor relay" is in the under hood box. iirc it is the big metal cased one ??

The BLU/WHT lead to the blower motor would have +12volts present if the fuse and the relay are working. The transistor provides the ground path to operate the fan.

By chance does the fan spin for a very short time when turned on, then stop ??

A few weeks ago my bower stopped working as well. At first it was intermittent and now nothing. I replaced my transistor and blower motor. Replaced the relay and checked the fuse(s) which were all good. Still no luck.

My fan however, does spin for a very short time and then stops. Do you know what causes this? I've been pouring over the Chilton's and youtube for ages now and am running out of ideas. About to tear my dash apart and start digging into the wiring but I'd REALLY rather not. You'd be my hero if you have the answer to this.
Old 07-18-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

There is a self-diagnosis process you can do to retrieve DTCs for the HVAC. I believe it is ignition in ON II, turn fan switch OFF, press the recirculation control button to ON (with light), press and hold the recirc button to fresh (light off) continue to hold the button until the recirc indicator comes on for 2 secs and then goes off. If the system is OK, recirc indicator stays OFF. If any trouble is found, the recirc indicator blinks DTCs to indicate faulty system component. Turn ignition switch to OFF to cancel self-diagnosis.
Blinks once - problem in the air mix control motor circuit, blinks twice - a problem in the mode control motor circuit, blinks three times - a problem in the evaporator temp sensor circuit.
You can do some continuity testing to the terminals to the fan switch,grounds, check for short or loose connections, poor ground, bad fan switch, check fuses ,relay and blower motor.
Old 08-10-2019
Registered!!

evergreenstew is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning. My blower fan works, but not on the high position. Replaced blower fan and resistor. Checked the 40 amp under the hood with my fluke and its good. Any ideas? Replaced the blower fan as you could hear the bearing in the motor. Thank you!!

Last edited by evergreenstew; 08-10-2019 at 05:13 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-12-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The HVAC controls could be causing issues. If you've replaced both the fan and transistor that's about the only other thing it could be.