Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

2003 Civic EX Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2003 Civic EX Overheating Issues

Originally Posted by Eric Otto
This is what has been replaced: HG
Was it over heating before you had the HG replaced? If so, did you get the head machined?

Last edited by Matt_75; 10-20-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
angelnavila is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have the same problem. a weak ago my honda civic star overheating. 3 months ago the change the motor. no rebuild but with low miles. i think the export those from japan. but before that the did the HG. work for like 3 months and start overheating again. now. start doing it. i change the thermostat . fan sensor. i let it run for several minutes,. with the radiator cap of fill the radiator. but still wast coolant . after drove more then 30 miles. start overheating.the wear thing is. today. i drove on street. for 20 minutes and did not over heat. then my wife was getting ready to go to work, and start driving. toward her sister home 3 blocks away from my house. and she toldme that the car start overheating. driving on the fwy its fine. but when she get off the fwy. and stop. the temperature start rising. she turns the AC on and its fine. by the wy . i have the hood open and checked for fans and they works. so im about to take it back to de mechanic. because of that. any suggestions. or hints.

Last edited by angelnavila; 01-30-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2013
Registered!!

Rob02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bro, I was having the same issue with my 02 civic LX. Read my post from a few days ago. I had tried everything that you have tried except I also did my water pump. Make sure you check that it could be your pump. Have you ever switched the pump in that car???Anyways dude if its not the water pump it's most likely the headgasket unless you have something weird going on like a crazy air pocket or blockage. Make sure you purge the car for atleast an hour with the nose in the air. If that still doesn't work chances are it's your hg. I just had mine completely redone for just over 800. Not that big of a deal, got the head machined and magnafluxed for cracks. Now my car is running great. And to the other guys who said he had his head gasket changed but his car still over heats?? Did you have your head machined well and checked for cracks? Maybe your head is cracked?
Old 03-22-2013
Registered!!

angelnavila is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob02Civic
Hey bro, I was having the same issue with my 02 civic LX. Read my post from a few days ago. I had tried everything that you have tried except I also did my water pump. Make sure you check that it could be your pump. Have you ever switched the pump in that car???Anyways dude if its not the water pump it's most likely the headgasket unless you have something weird going on like a crazy air pocket or blockage. Make sure you purge the car for atleast an hour with the nose in the air. If that still doesn't work chances are it's your hg. I just had mine completely redone for just over 800. Not that big of a deal, got the head machined and magnafluxed for cracks. Now my car is running great. And to the other guys who said he had his head gasket changed but his car still over heats?? Did you have your head machined well and checked for cracks? Maybe your head is cracked?
well that was the problem before. this is a motor with 60k miles brought from japan. now i have the fan direct on all the time and dont over heat. but the radiator is consuming water. may be a bottle o water. in a week time. but the motor still doing why it was doing before i change the motor.
Old 03-22-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelnavila
well that was the problem before. this is a motor with 60k miles brought from japan. now i have the fan direct on all the time and dont over heat. but the radiator is consuming water. may be a bottle o water. in a week time. but the motor still doing why it was doing before i change the motor.
Sounds like....
You purchased a used engine with 60k miles and you know nothing about its previous history.
You now know that it too needs its' head gasket job done.
Old 08-18-2013
Registered!!

CIVIC05EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello guys,

2005 ex, overheated and reservoir cap was missing, replaced with a honda part, did not help...locked up on a highway... towed the car home, but no idea where to go...

any advice, what to do next??
Old 10-14-2013
Registered!!

2003civicdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

03 civic messed up. have machined the head twice and replaced gasket twice. water pump replaced and everything else.

so what's next other than a different car?
Old 10-25-2013
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

1. Do a leak down test on all cylinder. You can buy the tester from this seller, but it doesn't come with the connector to connect it to a air hose. You will need to get a 1/4 NPT Male Quick Plug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330965983484...A:3160&vxp=mtr

2. Get a valve adjustment. On my car all my valve was very tight, there wasn't any movement at TDC. My valves wasn't closing completely and cause unburned gas into the exhaust system which can cause overheating. The valves has to have some play at TDC.

3. Check your fan and or fan switch to see if they are working. Good Luck.

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 10-25-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 2003civicdaddy
03 civic messed up. have machined the head twice and replaced gasket twice. water pump replaced and everything else.

so what's next other than a different car?
several. could even be electrical (gauges, thermostat, squirrel eating wires) or radiator cap or radiator clogged, etc, etc.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 01-01-2014
Registered!!

Jaco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, it's not always HG. Just had mine CIV repaired and it was the Water Pump! Synphtops were exactly the same as you all describe here in this thread, only no bubbles in coolant. I was prepaired for the worst (HG repair), but asked the shop to start with water pump - and it was it, old pomp got damaged inside (it was rusted - some idiot must have frfilled the system with water before). New pump did it's job. No more overheating. The car is 92k, what else was replaced is cooler fan relay, thermostat, radiator cup, engine coolant sensor, and coolant was flushed completly (most of these additionals because cooler fan wasn's comming on at all). Love my CIV again. Keep it cool!
Old 06-14-2021
Registered!!

tbizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem, I'm not going to say don't listen to anybody here but again i had the same problem. All i had to do was replace a hose going from the engine to the radiator because when the car was hot enough the hose would get hot as well and pour all the coolant out of it. So I would advise you to check that as well as before getting a new head gasket and listening to everything here. Check the hoses, if they are soft then replace them, if you can squeeze them without much effort just replace them and before purchasing a new head gasket, just go and have it pressure tested at any shop.
Old 02-14-2022
Registered!!

CryptoMitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angelnavila
Well I have the same problem. a weak ago my honda civic star overheating. 3 months ago the change the motor. no rebuild but with low miles. i think the export those from japan. but before that the did the HG. work for like 3 months and start overheating again. now. start doing it. i change the thermostat . fan sensor. i let it run for several minutes,. with the radiator cap of fill the radiator. but still wast coolant . after drove more then 30 miles. start overheating.the wear thing is. today. i drove on street. for 20 minutes and did not over heat. then my wife was getting ready to go to work, and start driving. toward her sister home 3 blocks away from my house. and she toldme that the car start overheating. driving on the fwy its fine. but when she get off the fwy. and stop. the temperature start rising. she turns the AC on and its fine. by the wy . i have the hood open and checked for fans and they works. so im about to take it back to de mechanic. because of that. any suggestions. or hints.
I would like to say I got the pleasure of having to work on a 2003 Honda Civic 1.7 L. It had a similar issue. I just ended up purchasing the vehicle unfortunately a customer could not pay the tab for a lot of the repair work. I informed him I was not sure and it more then likely was a head gasket but I needed to start here. He was ok with it and I had to start with all of this because of the underlying issue. Other mechanics I’m sure understand. I just charged him for the parts and figured I would fix the head gasket.My problem is. I’m not sure if the block could be cracked? This is very common issue…. I started off replacing both temp sensors, thermostat replacement, flush all the way down the line from Radiator after entire bumper removal and so on and so on. Bottom line is I am certain it is the head gasket or cracked warped block. The only other thing I have not done is the water pump and the timing which will be done next. Also am sure the water pump
was the underlying issue with the temp sensor hiding the over heating. I tried flushing the system and it actually shut me off halfway through. Had caused so much compression it would not restart until it cooled down and I opened the radiator cap. It just got worse and worse. I’m going to verify first that the blocks not cracked with a pressure test of the system but when I started off all of this. I had ZERO signs I had blown head gasket. I thought I had everything fixed I went to change the oil prior to realizing the real issue then boom. Popped oil cap there was a milky residue on my oil cap. WTF I also removed all four spark plugs checked for coolant or anything suspicious on them. Looked great. So I proceeded with the oil change anyway as soon as I was done with the oil change it ran awful! Misfire on the first cylinder and right away no cycling at all major overheating but I waited about a month to restart the vehicle. It started right up perfect l? No problem. 4 mins later it heated up and shut me off.
Bottom line is I am going to pull-head gasket and head, have machines and re-install head gasket, and head. Also while you’re in there go ahead and do your water pump and timing. I have a feeling my blade has come off of the water pump causing it not to cycle the motor. Once I get all this stuff done. I will update further I am certain this is the issue. This is how all the events occurred and it was fast. Either way I will update post once this is all do all of this it will take me about a week or two until I can get to it but my problem started with my temp sensor which is located right on top of the motor, right by the number one cylinder I believe it is a 15 mm long socket you will need to put over top after unplugging it to remove it. Also. A great location to refill to avoid the air pockets. The old sensor was very loose causing the temp sensor not to work properly. So the customer never even knew vehicle was overheating. Always make sure you have this checked out first because you could be overheating and not even know it? Thee go bad quite frequently from my experience this is how everything started with this vehicle. It led to the blown head gasket problem/water pump fan blade and it will also prevent your fan from kicking on. It is a two cycle fan system. Should come on at 100° Not just when a/c is on, Do you have a separate fan that kicks on at a high degrees in these vehicles so please pay attention to the temp sensor. I hope this helps and if anyone has anything to add please contact me. I have seen a lot of answers but a lot of responses but all seem to be a little different. Please if anybody has any more suggestions let me know also if you have a 05-08civic between those years. ATT:; you may have a RECALL to look into for a cracked block… No Jk. Check it out. Good luck. First time ever on a forum. I basically was trying to find out if I have a cracked black or blown head gasket that’s all I need to know all that information I just posted hopefully someone has a easier way to tell assuming the pressure check is my only option but I don’t really have time to do all that I may just sell the damn thing or scrap it. Good luck to everyone please touch base if you have any questions I don’t mind. Regards
Old 02-14-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the cracked block is in the early 8th gen, don't happen on the 7th gen cars