Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2004 Radiator Fan Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
illatty is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Radiator Fan Not Working

I own a 2004 Civic. Since the tempature outside has gotten hot my car comes close to overheating. When I am moving my air conditioning works properly and the temp gage is normal. When I am in traffic my air stops working and the temp gage shoots up.

The condensor/auxillory fan is on when the temp gage shoots up. However, the cooling fan never turns on. All fuses and relays seem to be working. When temp gage was up I unplugged the auxilory fan and plugged it into the cooling fan, it still never came on.

Should I go ahead and buy a new cooling fan. How hard is the job of replacing the fan?
Old 05-26-2010
Registered!!

RonJ will become famous soon enough
Re: 2004 Radiator Fan Not Working

Was the A/C turned on for your plug switch test? If so, sounds like you need a new radiator fan.
Old 06-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

You need a new fan motor. Best bet is to buy the assembly from the salvage yard for like $50. Just the motor alone at Honda is almost $200.

1) disconnect neg batt cable. 2) disconnect upper radiator hose @ the radiator. 3) remove body pins from top of grille. 4) GENTLY, as not to rip grille from bumper cover, pull grille forward and remove the 2 bolts holding top of radiator assembly. 5) push assembly rearward and remove the 1 bolt holding the overflow bottle and the 2 bolts holding the fan assembly. 6) remove old, install new, reassemble. Takes like 10-15 minutes
Old 12-24-2015
Registered!!

Toadsrule is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by illatty
I own a 2004 Civic. Since the tempature outside has gotten hot my car comes close to overheating. When I am moving my air conditioning works properly and the temp gage is normal. When I am in traffic my air stops working and the temp gage shoots up.

The condensor/auxillory fan is on when the temp gage shoots up. However, the cooling fan never turns on. All fuses and relays seem to be working. When temp gage was up I unplugged the auxilory fan and plugged it into the cooling fan, it still never came on.

Should I go ahead and buy a new cooling fan. How hard is the job of replacing the fan?
I have a similar problem. I tried connecting my hot wire directly to the battery, and the motors both work fine. I replaced the relay and fuse, no difference. What else can I do?
Old 12-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toadsrule
I have a similar problem. I tried connecting my hot wire directly to the battery, and the motors both work fine. I replaced the relay and fuse, no difference. What else can I do?
Jumper the fan switch to prove the fans can operate when the temp switch tells them to run. Then you just have to prove the switch is actually good.

If you have a 01-05 car that runs hot it is because the coolant is low due to a blown had gasket.
Search the subject for more info