Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.
View Poll Results: Have you ever had upper engine or valve train problems on a 7th gen Civic?
Yes; turned out to be an electrical wiring or sensor problem.
33.33%
Yes; turned out to be an ECU/PCM problem.
0%
Yes; turned out to be a mechanical failure (Cam, Timing Belt, Cam Gear, Warped Head, etc.)
7.41%
No; never had problems with upper engine / valve train failure.
59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

7th Gen TDC Sensor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdwoo87 is an unknown quantity at this point
7th Gen TDC Sensor Problems

Hi all,

I have an 02 Civic LX experiencing TDC (Top Dead Center) sensor problems. I am getting the P1361 diagnostic trouble code (TDC Sensor Intermittent Failure). I have gotten the code twice now (both times during freeway travel on 75°F+ days). As you probably know if you are reading this post, the car then proceeds to go into "limp mode" and when shut off and restarted seems to function fine; the CEL going off after 50 or so miles of travel. I have spoken to a Honda engine machine shop in Arizona as well as one of the guys over at Hontech (Chandler, AZ). After reading some forums on this topic, I was very fearful of the camshaft end-play problem (>0.5mm). Based on what I've recently learned and my previous experience with Honda, it is very unlikely that the camshaft and/or bearings have worn that far. The car has 150,000 miles on it and I hear the fuel injectors over the very minimal valve lash noise. Hontech confirmed my theory and stated that in most cases it is a sensor or wiring problem and that the valve train would be very noisy if end-play was enough to cause the trouble code. The machine shop said they never do work on heads and cams because of camshaft endplay. Based on my research, I am going to go ahead and buy a new sensor ($55 ish), and also replace the timing belt and timing belt tensioner.

I will continue to update this thread as I learn/do more with the problem. If anyone has any details or advice for me, please feel free to post and let me know.

Thank you,

Jeremiah
Old 04-27-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 7th Gen TDC Sensor Problems

im sure its just the tdc sensor needs to be replaced. which costs as much as a timing belt service so may as well change the belt at that time too.
Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

I'll definitely be doing the work myself, so labor costs are not an issue. But I figure it would be foolish to be in that far and not replace the belt and tensioner while I'm at it.
Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

dont forget the water pump too
Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

I wasn't sure about the water pump. The timing belt was done by the previous owner at a shop 40K ago, would they normally do the pump as well?
Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

I noticed that 04 Civic and Gearbox have polled that they've had problems with their 7th gen valve train / upper engine. Could you please post what the problmes were and what the cause was, if you know?

Thank you.
Old 04-27-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my headgasket blew, mainly from installing aftermarket ported cylinder head that i think was milled too much causing higher compression (200 psi instead of stock 135 psi). also had my vtec solenoid fail later but that happened by itself. replaced the head with a stock piece and new vtec solenoid and since then the car is doing fine. stuff happens.
Old 04-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

yea what he said. except I am really not sure what caused my headgasket to crack. Although the head was fine along with everything else. If it was done at a shop at 40k ago ultimately it is up to you to decide weather or not to do it. Personally I think I would just keep that water pump but just make sure you dont over do it if you still have the car. (By over do it I mean change the timing belt and water the next time around at the right service interval)
Old 06-28-2009
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light

Any updates?

I got the same damn code =(
Old 06-28-2009
Registered!!

Strangly, I haven't done a thing with it. Since I've gotten back to the phoenix valley, the code hasn't shown up!! I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-12-2009

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light

I replaced my sensor 2 weeks ago, car kind of drives sluggish when the A/C is on sometimes tho, its a hit or miss. Worst thing it did with me before tho was it like totally when from 80 to 45 on the highway. It doesn't do that anymore. I'm going to be doing maintenance to the car(ex: timing belt, water pump) so hopefully that helps..Car is at 116k miles btw
Old 07-13-2009
Registered!!

Alright, the Arizona heat finally got to the Civic. My AC Compressor clutch kept failing, and the Cam sensor problem came back; so I ended up doing some work in the 100 degree garage.

New Cam Sensor - 65 bucks at the local Honda Dealer (This fixed all "limp Mode" problems)

Valve lash adjustment - This works wonders on lifter noise. I wasn't more than 5 or 10 thousandths over spec, so I didn't get my hopes up, but that valve train is silent now; All I can hear are the injectors.

I picked up an AC compressor from a Junk yard, it was off an '04, with only 40,000 miles on it. They sold it to me for 100 bucks.

Now I'm back to a reliable quiet running Honda with cold AC.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post.
Old 07-16-2009

By cam sensor you mean tdc sensor which is the same thing?
Old 07-16-2009
Registered!!

Yes, cam sensor and TDC (Top Dead Center) sensor are the same thing. It's the little guy that mounts at about 4 o'clock by the cam gear. You have to pull quite a bit just to get down to it; which is why I did a valve lash adjustment while I was in there.

Last edited by gearbox; 03-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2009

I replaced that sensor already, sent you a email regarding the valve lash adjustment.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

7gencivic is an unknown quantity at this point

i hav an '02 Civic LX. CEL came on n da car juzz felt like it downshifted n wouldn't let me accelerate past 20mph. so i pull into Autozone ran it on da computer n got code P1361!!! dey sold me da crankshaft sensor. i asked my friendz with Civicz n they said i had the wrong piece. told me my car went in limp mode to protect itself n that it was my camshaft sensor. went back to return da crankshaft sensor n got the camshaft sensor. car is back to normal. it wuz a 30 minute do it myself job. ; )
Old 02-07-2013
Driving While Asian

bravesmaedchen is an unknown quantity at this point

bump

Got the 1361 code today at AAMCO on my 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe. They are replacing the cam sensor free of charge... I am hoping this will fix the limp mode issue... unfortunately, I checked the TSB and my VIN falls under it... I am praying to whomever that I won't have to replace the cylinder head.

Has anyone had similar limp mode problems? I live in LA and my car would stall if I drove through traffic for extended periods, i.e. very low speeds. Did replacing the cam sensor fix it entirely when getting a 1361 code? Or were there additional issues??
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

jbradley4809 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an old post, hopefully someone will still notice and respond. I'm not sure if I have the TDC code or not, my vin definitly falls into the TSB though. Today I was driving on the highway and the car went into "limp mode?" I guess, stopped having power, ended up having to move over to the shoulder where it stalled before I got to a complete stop. Kept cranking, would start and stall immeditially like three times, than it started, ran rough and wouldn't let me pass 2500ish RPMS and like 10mph on flat surface...driving like that also started to heat the hell out of the car. So I let it sit, after like 20mins it drove normal again....for another 20-30miles on the highway and it did it again...this sound like a TDC sensor?
Old 07-20-2015
Registered!!

chieromancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: 7th Gen TDC Sensor Problems

I was just told I needed the Top Dead Sensor replaced on my 2005 Civic to the tune of $543.00. The price seems excessive. What do you think?

Mileage just shy of 90k.
Old 07-20-2015
Registered!!

chieromancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: 7th Gen TDC Sensor Problems

jbradley4809 : This is pretty much the same thing my 2005 Civic did. The "Emission Control" idiot light came on. I was lucky to make it home. Then it stalled 3 times at stop lights on the way to the dealer's for repair. I was quoted $543.00 to replace it. Only 90k on the car, too.
Old 07-20-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by chieromancer
jbradley4809 : This is pretty much the same thing my 2005 Civic did. The "Emission Control" idiot light came on. I was lucky to make it home. Then it stalled 3 times at stop lights on the way to the dealer's for repair. I was quoted $543.00 to replace it. Only 90k on the car, too.
I replaced my TDC sensor in February (2015). The sensor cost me right around $70 with sales tax at local H dealer. I replaced it myself. Took about 2.5 hours.
its not hard to replace. You have to remove the upper timing belt cover, which means the valve cover has to be removed, which means, coil wires from the alternator & I removed air filter box to make valve cover easier to remove.

There is a write up on this forum. Just search for it.

Last edited by bsmiley; 07-20-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2016
Registered!!

Scottman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all, Newb here...

I got the 1361/1362 code last week.
I replaced the CMP/TDC sensor (and the valve cover gasket, and the spark plug tube grommets, and the coil gaskets, and the oil, and the alternator).

Now if I take it easy, it runs great (and the leaking oil has stopped).
But if I get on it to get the RPMs to 5K, Boom. CEL and Limp mode. I immediately pull over, turn off, plug in the OBD2 tool, verify it's 1361, clear it, start back up and go on my merry way. As long as I stay below 5K, we all get along.

Not that I'm a racer or anything, but sometimes you have to do evasive maneuvers on the highway/ramps, and that's a bad time to crash into limp-mode.

It's not city traffic, doesn't appear to be heat, I can run the AC...the trigger seems to be 5K.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer svc dept for a diag/chat, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

You need to troubleshot the CMP sensor, a short/open in the system wires or a bad PCM.
Old 03-20-2020
Registered!!

Daniel Temple is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdwoo87
Hi all,

I have an 02 Civic LX experiencing TDC (Top Dead Center) sensor problems. I am getting the P1361 diagnostic trouble code (TDC Sensor Intermittent Failure). I have gotten the code twice now (both times during freeway travel on 75°F+ days). As you probably know if you are reading this post, the car then proceeds to go into "limp mode" and when shut off and restarted seems to function fine; the CEL going off after 50 or so miles of travel. I have spoken to a Honda engine machine shop in Arizona as well as one of the guys over at Hontech (Chandler, AZ). After reading some forums on this topic, I was very fearful of the camshaft end-play problem (>0.5mm). Based on what I've recently learned and my previous experience with Honda, it is very unlikely that the camshaft and/or bearings have worn that far. The car has 150,000 miles on it and I hear the fuel injectors over the very minimal valve lash noise. Hontech confirmed my theory and stated that in most cases it is a sensor or wiring problem and that the valve train would be very noisy if end-play was enough to cause the trouble code. The machine shop said they never do work on heads and cams because of camshaft endplay. Based on my research, I am going to go ahead and buy a new sensor ($55 ish), and also replace the timing belt and timing belt tensioner.

I will continue to update this thread as I learn/do more with the problem. If anyone has any details or advice for me, please feel free to post and let me know.

Thank you,

Jeremiah
I am a tech at a hometown owned , very busy shop.
I am experiencing the same problem on a customer's car.
Customer had engine swapped and new tdc sensor and crank sensor installed. I checked timing , it was correct. And I also changed both sensors and installed new connector on tdc sensor. Still having the same problem. Cat has also been replaced buy customers request.
Old 03-20-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,303 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Were they Honda genuine sensors? Honda's don't like cheap aftermarket replacements.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Were they Honda genuine sensors? Honda's don't like cheap aftermarket replacements.
This