Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch Chatter & Clutch Life - Post Your Experiences!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Clutch Chatter & Clutch Life - Post Your Experiences!

So I am in Vegas with my dad (New Years was fun...) and it is pretty cold. I'm getting clutch chatter when taking off from first gear. California weather it was not as bad, but I'll check again when I get back out there. 105K on the clutch.

Looking at some of the clutch threads, I see many racing guys changing clutches early for more clamping force, but I don't see many responses from us guys that just drive a ton and needed to know when to budget some money. That being said, post your thoughts to these Q's.

Q1: How many miles did you get out of the stock clutch before you had to replace it? I know there are other threads on this, but it'd be nice to have all of the answers in one place to get a more overall picture.

Q2: If your clutch has gone, what was the first sign of its impending doom?

Q3: If your clutch has gone, how long was the mileage between the first "Hmm.. What was that?" and "Well, guess I'm not going to work today..." when it wouldn't function?

Q4: What is your driving style? Any Auto-x? Drag? Daily driver? Aggressive daily driver (I probably fall into this one)?

Last edited by reddawnman; 01-03-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Re: Clutch Chatter & Clutch Life - Post Your Experiences!

Jeez... guess I really struck a nerve with that post *cricket* *cricket*

Anyhow, on the way back from vegas I checked and made sure I hadn't broken a motor mount, which is sometimes a cause of clutch chatter.

At about 85 MPH on I-15 I pushed in my clutch about halfway until with steady accelerator pressure my rpms began to fluctuate as the clutch slipped for maybe 1-2 seconds. I did that 2 more times, then left it alone.

When I got off the freeway and started again from first gear, no chatter. I may have just had some random glazing on my flywheel or something. Hopefully it will still work OK tomorrow. Will update post above.