Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

BAD vibration between 28-40 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rwheezy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink BAD vibration between 28-40 mph

I bought my 05 Civic this April. When I bought the car, it didn't seem to have this problem, but the problem has gotten pretty bad.

First of all, the transmission is an automatic. When I am maintaining speed of anywhere from 28-40 mph, I get a bad vibration that almost feels like it's coming from the right front. It's so bad that it will vibrate both gas and brake pedals to the point where it actually starts engaging the brakes/gas. It happens ONLY when I have the car in drive. If I put the car in 3rd gear, it never happens. It only seems to do it at around 1700-2000 RPM. When it starts to happen, if you immediately give it more gas, or completely let off the gas, the noise/vibration immediately stops. I first thought it was the motor mounts, and I just replaced the motor mounts yesterday. No fix. I rotated the tires, no fix. The vibration and noise is so loud that you can hear it over music. It basically rattles the whole floor boards.

At this point, I am wondering if it is a problem with the transmission, since it only seems to happen when I have the car in drive. I researched online and it seems to be a frequent problem in 06 civics, but I haven't found anything about it on 05 civics. I am at a rope's end here, and am getting ready to sell the car and get something else. Any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BAD vibration between 28-40 mph

if you are driving and its vibrating, and then you shift it to neutral, does it still happen? it could be something wrong with the tranny.
Old 12-13-2007
Registered!!

damar13488 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should balancing & spooring your car.......
Old 12-14-2007
Registered!!

popee will become famous soon enough

maybe your rotors are worp'd
Old 12-14-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that would only cause vibration when braking
Old 12-14-2007
'05 still rolling...

SpecialKPB will become famous soon enough

try this: i had a vibration in my old car just like what you explaining: it turned out to be small stones from clay/mud that actually stuck onto the inside of the rim. just a stone; not a big deal right? well if there are multiple stones on multiple tires; as soon as you get above something like 30mph the balance is lost and your car becomes a large massage chair. as soon as I realized something was waaaaayyy wrong I went home, and used a hose (make sure brakes are cool) and sprayed the wheels down - but the clay mixture would not come off, had to 'chisel' each off. very time consuming and a pain in the a$$. hope this helps! sorry for writing a book
Old 12-14-2007
Premium Member

lol that happened to me once too, and again when it snowed and i could barely go above 40mph. sometimes the weights just fall off too and they get unbalanced.
Old 12-15-2007
Registered!!

rwheezy is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are a couple good idea's - The reason that makes me think it's not a tire/balancing problem is because I rotated the tires, and the problem is still there. It's possible that it could still be the problem, I guess? It seems that if it was a problem with a certain wheel/rim, I would be able to distinguish the vibration from the front to the back. In other words, when I rotated the tires, the vibration would move to the back of the car if it was a wheel/tire problem.

I've never really gotten shake under braking. The thing that throws me off is that it only does it at a certain throttle setting. When the vibration comes, if I IMMEDIATELY let off the gas or give it just slightly more gas, it instantly goes away. I have literally no idea at this point?
Old 12-27-2007
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough

i have the same problem as well

BUT

that used to only happen to me when it rained and my exhaust would move in a certain spot cuz it would get wet...but now its been doing it when its not wet out...
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

thebings is an unknown quantity at this point

rwheezy, this is an old post but I am hoping you are still monitoring it. I have a 2005 Civic Automatic with the exact symptoms that you described. Just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was. Hope to here from you.
Don

Originally Posted by rwheezy
I bought my 05 Civic this April. When I bought the car, it didn't seem to have this problem, but the problem has gotten pretty bad.

First of all, the transmission is an automatic. When I am maintaining speed of anywhere from 28-40 mph, I get a bad vibration that almost feels like it's coming from the right front. It's so bad that it will vibrate both gas and brake pedals to the point where it actually starts engaging the brakes/gas. It happens ONLY when I have the car in drive. If I put the car in 3rd gear, it never happens. It only seems to do it at around 1700-2000 RPM. When it starts to happen, if you immediately give it more gas, or completely let off the gas, the noise/vibration immediately stops. I first thought it was the motor mounts, and I just replaced the motor mounts yesterday. No fix. I rotated the tires, no fix. The vibration and noise is so loud that you can hear it over music. It basically rattles the whole floor boards.

At this point, I am wondering if it is a problem with the transmission, since it only seems to happen when I have the car in drive. I researched online and it seems to be a frequent problem in 06 civics, but I haven't found anything about it on 05 civics. I am at a rope's end here, and am getting ready to sell the car and get something else. Any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem guys.. And the solution for me was, my weight fallen off... Guys even if u dont think this is ur problem, just go check it out.. Its only 20 bucks...
Old 04-22-2010
Registered!!

thebings is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you talking about a wheel weight? I have had the tires rebalance and rotated but it did not help. Like the original poster, this only happens at approx 37 mph driving on a flat and level road. If I accelerate to 40 mph it stops or if I slow to 35 mph it stops. Turning the wheel left or right does not change the vibration, the steering wheel does not shake and I don't feel anything in the brake pedal. It is a pretty loud noise that sounds like the R/F tire is running over a very large washboard. The violate vibration that feels like something (like a drive shaft) is wobbling or hitting something as it turns. I have inspected all suspension parts and find nothing wrong. The cv boots are good. I inspected the brake and it looks good. I jacked the car and ran the speed up to 37 mph but could not duplicate the noise or vibration. The car also seems to surge or jerk slightly during this mid speed area, feels like an engine miss but don't think that is the cause (it runs smooth at all other times). My gut feeling is a transmission or cv joint problem. I know this is kind of long but I am really exasperated and really need some help please. This is a 2005 Civic Automatic with 65,000. Thanks
Don
Old 04-22-2010
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

Did u maybe check the air pressure?
Old 08-23-2010
'05 still rolling...

SpecialKPB will become famous soon enough

Wow I'm gonna bring it back to life again - so for me, it WAS the wheels, that and a blown rear strut. back on steelies with potenza's loving the simple/smooth ride. I know you mentioned the balance on your wheels wasnt your prob. but check your struts, if a tire is slightly out of balance and the strut is bad then its just going to amplify the issue as you go down the road. hope this helps anyone else!
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

ashokudu is an unknown quantity at this point

You say if you give it more gas or less gas it goes away. Your balance is good, motor mounts are new.If struts are bad then it would clunk over pot holes and speed bumps so I feel it is not that.

I say you need to check to see if you got any fouled spark plugs. I had a lincoln which used to jerk and vibrate, thought bad tranny or motor mounts. But it was fouled spark plug so every time it went to change gear it would vibrate and jerk untill I raised or lowered engine rpm.

But a fouled plug will cause it to do at almost every gear change, but checking for fouled plug is easy and will not cost anything. Just turn you car on, and unplug your coil and look for more vibrations, since one of the cylinders is not firing it would vibrate more. When it does not that means that spark plug is not firing already. A fouled plug will almost all the time looks black. (Or you can just replace the sparkplugs)

If this does not work, then you basically ruled out all the common items which are at fault and may actually be a problem with torque converter or transmission. I hope its spark plugs.
Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

itsfighter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys, I got a 2008 civic lx and I got the same vibration b/w 25-30 and 35-40 mph. Initially i didnt notice anything but only after winter and snow it became worse and I felt more, I took it to the dealer and I replicated the vibration. He said its coz of the torque converter locking up for fuel efficiency and its normal for all 4cyl honda, nothin to worry - transmission is fine.

Any idea or comments about the feedback from the dealer. Is this normal for honda or its due to winter?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-13-2011
Premium Member

sorry no its not normal lol. unless you have a torn motor/tranny mount. read the above suggestions and have the wheels rebalanced. you should not even feel the converter locking up. and if you do, its only for a second.
Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

I have a similar issue with a 94 DX. I just replaced the wheels and tires and no change. Only happens between 35 and 40. Will not happen if I release the gas pedal or give it slightly more gas.
I almost think it is a bad axle shaft. I replaced the passenger side axle (reman) and the problem started sometime after that. Unable to duplicate with the tires off the ground which makes me think it has something to do with the angle of the shaft. Since I have replaced the axle shaft and the seal I still have a leak there. I think the shaft is out of round or out of balance.
Thoughts?
Old 01-15-2011
Registered!!

floyd107 is on a distinguished road

if i was you i would double check all the boots and joints in the front cuz like u said it dosent do it when it is jacked up so maybe the cars weight is causing tension on a blown peice
Old 01-16-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

The problem sounds exactly like death-wobble that happens on factory linked, live axle Jeeps. Tighten the link fasteners or replace the bushings and the problem goes away on the Jeeps.
Yeah it's a guess, but it is something to investigate.

Nathan
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

john g is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1997 civic cx hatchback with 193,000 miles. This started with me, when driving, the steering wheel starts to vibrate and pulls to the right, it feels like driving on a flat tire. Take my foot off the gas and it stops vibrating and the car runs smooth, put my foot on gas and it starts to vibrate again. Took it to a mechanic, he couldnt find anything wrong.
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The problem sounds exactly like death-wobble that happens on factory linked, live axle Jeeps. Tighten the link fasteners or replace the bushings and the problem goes away on the Jeeps.
Yeah it's a guess, but it is something to investigate.

Nathan
I had a Rubicon that had the death wobble. This is not the same. This feels like the right side of the engine is shaking. Kind of vibrates the car, but not the steering wheel. Almost like the flywheel is out of balance, but only at a certain speed and RPM and gear.
Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

erieaddict is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the same vibration at 30-45MPH, Does it in drive not in D3. Step on the gas and the wobble goes away. 2004 Civic, 115,000 miles, Auto tranny. Had new Michelins put on 3 weeks ago and took it back and had the balence of the tires checked and the front end components. All checks out ok. Still have the problem. Took it to the stealership and they said the problem was a solenoid in the tranny that lockes up the converter. At 35-45 while maintaining speed the tranny is hunting for a gear and causes this shutter. lightly pressing on the gas pedal makes it go away. They suggested changing the fluid and adding a lucas aditive. They said that sometimes it "fixes" the sticking solenoid. If it doesn't the tranny will need replaced. 7th honda i have owned since 1980 and i am pissed. I buy them new and have them religiouly serviced under the honfidence program. I have had more oddball problems with this civic than all the other combined.
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

cpbennett will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by erieaddict
I have had the same vibration at 30-45MPH, Does it in drive not in D3. Step on the gas and the wobble goes away. 2004 Civic, 115,000 miles, Auto tranny. Had new Michelins put on 3 weeks ago and took it back and had the balence of the tires checked and the front end components. All checks out ok. Still have the problem. Took it to the stealership and they said the problem was a solenoid in the tranny that lockes up the converter. At 35-45 while maintaining speed the tranny is hunting for a gear and causes this shutter. lightly pressing on the gas pedal makes it go away. They suggested changing the fluid and adding a lucas aditive. They said that sometimes it "fixes" the sticking solenoid. If it doesn't the tranny will need replaced. 7th honda i have owned since 1980 and i am pissed. I buy them new and have them religiouly serviced under the honfidence program. I have had more oddball problems with this civic than all the other combined.

Did the tranny flush and lucas additive work? I have the same problem and do NOT have the resources to replace the transmission. I hope you still monitor this post. Please, if anyone has any feedback, fill me in.

Symptoms:

Between 35-40 mph, vibration or shudder (seems to be left-front)
@ about 1700-2000 RPM
Acceleration or letting off the gas makes it go away.

Replaced Sway Bar, inspected struts, inspected CV joints, replaced axle driver side, and balanced and rotated tires and problem is still there!

PLEASE, if you have any ideas or comments do share. I am lost.

If it is the transmission, how much does it cost to rebuild and how much does it cost to replace?

2004 Honda Civic EX A/T with 97,500 miles.
Old 09-06-2011
SubVerSive

CiviStang is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had our trans rebuilt came with new Converter and trans cooler installed also needed a transmission mount that was bad.. total cost 1100.00 out the door.

check your trans mount. it is under your airbox. you WONT see it unless the airbox is off.
that would indeed make the trans shake intermittently.
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CiviStang
Just had our trans rebuilt came with new Converter and trans cooler installed also needed a transmission mount that was bad.. total cost 1100.00 out the door.

check your trans mount. it is under your airbox. you WONT see it unless the airbox is off.
that would indeed make the trans shake intermittently.
What symptoms did you have before transmission rebuild? Who did you have rebuild it?

Any info helps! Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011
Registered!!

THe symtoms i had were a wobbling shaking in the front end at around 3000 RPM's to4000 rpm's while coasting. Step hard on the gas and it goes away. what is happeneing is a solenoid that shifts the car from overdrive to drive is sticking and the car is stuck between the 2 gears and this is where you get the shuddering. The new tranny fluid and lucas treat ment did fix it, for about 2 months. i just redid the fluid with lucas treatment and we shall see. looks like i am going to be doing a new tranny. or selling the POS and for the first time in my life, looking at a toyota, Kia or subaru.
Old 09-08-2011
Registered!!

lucas treatment lasted 2 months. tried treatment again, lasted 2 months. just had a new referb tranny put in. 1600.00 bucks.
Honda knows of this problem with internal filters clogging and the overdrive/drive solenoid but refuses to do anything about it. This will be the last new honda that i buy. with the problems i have had with this civic and the CRV before it, i am moving on to another make.
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

Just to follow up:

I went to the Honda Dealership and they suggested I put in a new transmission (at a low cost of $3,600 haha).

I explained to them that I had a flush in May (now Sept) and that I fear the fluid isnt Honda OEM.

They flushed the transmission and the TC and included an additive. The car runs fine and has for 3 weeks (about 2,500 miles).

If anything changes, I will let you know.

Lesson...

If it isnt broke, dont fix it. AND only use Honda OEM ATF.

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited by cpbennett; 09-27-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Thank you for the update, we don't get those often and they're extremely helpful!

Quick Reply: BAD vibration between 28-40 mph