Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Fuel Leak WHERE???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel Leak WHERE???

Guys help me out a little. I been smelling fuel/gas in my car for about 2weeks. Took the car to 2 different shop and no problems where found. But they said they smell it too.
Yesterday when I took the car out. I see gas/fuel on ground. Me and my friend spend 4 hours (until 3:30am) trying to find the lead. NO LUKE.

Can someone with a swap outline all the fuel lines.

oh btw the smell is coming from the passenger side by the firewall.

Last edited by stl01civic; 06-22-2006 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-22-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
try the hose that connects to the fuel rail?
Old 06-22-2006
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

^^^yup. I trace that line all the way to the firewall. nothing......
Old 06-22-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
perhaps a loose hose clamp on the lines?

every couple months, one of the fuel line hose clamps gets loose and starts to leak fuel in my engine bay ... I know because I can smell it.

I just have some generic fuel line from pep boys ... probably not a good idea, but oh well ... it works
Old 06-22-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
under your back seat, to get into the tank there is the fuel pump/filter assembly. There is a screw cap that goes over the assembly. You are probably leaking from the rubber gasket there or fumes are seeping through. Where is the gas spot in the rear or towards the front?

See the black gasket around the top in this pic..?

thats what im talkin about. that should be changed each time you go into the tank. I would check that first.. just pop the seat off, pull the cover off the by removing the 4 screws and check to see if you have fuel puddling in the "moat" like area.
tank cover pic..

thanks to tnaaff for the pics..

Last edited by XSRCivic; 06-22-2006 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-22-2006
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
perhaps a loose hose clamp on the lines?

every couple months, one of the fuel line hose clamps gets loose and starts to leak fuel in my engine bay ... I know because I can smell it.

I just have some generic fuel line from pep boys ... probably not a good idea, but oh well ... it works
I think that is my best bad. Replace the fuel line.

Originally Posted by XSRCivic
under your back seat, to get into the tank there is the fuel pump/filter assembly. There is a screw cap that goes over the assembly. You are probably leaking from the rubber gasket there or fumes are seeping through. Where is the gas spot in the rear or towards the front?

See the black gasket around the top in this pic..?

thats what im talkin about. that should be changed each time you go into the tank. I would check that first.. just pop the seat off, pull the cover off the by removing the 4 screws and check to see if you have fuel puddling in the "moat" like area.
tank cover pic..

thanks to tnaaff for the pics..
The spot is upfront. that is why we havn't remove the fuel tank cover to check it out.

Last edited by stl01civic; 06-22-2006 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-23-2006

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
if no luck then the dealers scan tool can test the pump and presurize the fuel system and sense the leak and location
Old 06-23-2006
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

the price of taking to the dealer will be a killer. Esp they charge by hours, it is like $75 per hour I think?.?
If replacing the line doesn't I am going to rip the turbo out and replace all the lines. If that doesn't fix it then.................
Old 06-23-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
hm, did you try pulling the injectors and re-seating them, maybe one is not seated properly? you dont have a return line by any chance? I'm sure you checked most places already.
Old 06-23-2006
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

yup, pulled the injectors and crank it to see if anything come out. nothing.

no return line.
Old 06-23-2006

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
By the passenger side on the firewall?
Is the connection to the rail for sure.
may be it only happens when in high pressure, hard acceleration.
Test the conection and hoses while some one is reving the car at 4000 rpm at observe the line.
You may have a small hole or crack on the hose.
Just jiggle all hose and pay special attention to conectors and clamps.

Good luck
Old 06-24-2006

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
what the hell.. the only connections u should have played with doing the swap was the stock metal line already coming from the bacj side of the firewall to the very short line of the hose to the rail.. other than that the only thing i can think of is that the entire FUEL LINE... the metal piping that runs from the firewall to the fuel pump has a crack in it....

here is what u do... before turning the car on... fell around all the cnnectors and hoses to see if you feel anything wet or moist all the way to the back line... if nothing there turn the key all the way to the ON position and wait a minute or 2.. then with the KEY still in the ON position go back and feel all the lines and connectors again.. that should reveal if you are leaking from up top by the fuel rail and connecting lines.... if that fails then...

jack the front (or side) of the car all the way up... make sure the key is on that way it still provided power to the fuel pump.. now crawl under the car on ur back and check the metal lines the go the entire lenght of the car to see if anything if leaking there
Old 06-24-2006
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

^^^ I try that and nothing came out (leave the fuel pump running). I even let the car run and went undernath it.
I havn't try to trace the metal fuel line yet. Maybe I will do that later on. When I have time. If it still leak.

Right now I changed a new fuel line. put 2 clamps on hole the end by the firewall. Headwarp around it, since it is so close to the turbo. It has been good soo far, no leak on the ground or @ the bay. I will take it out on the weekend to see if I smell any gas.

Thx GUYS for ALL these great advice.

Last edited by stl01civic; 06-24-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2015
Registered!!

moe4235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fuel Leak WHERE???

For me it was a leak in the fuel pump filter assembly(under the back seat). Small cracks allowed fuel to leak above the fuel tank. It would usually evaporate before it could reach the ground.