Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

a video from me, to you guys with your slippin tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65Coronet440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I tracked down my whine and as luck would have it, it's coming from the transmission area, not the front, as I was hoping it was just the alt or ps pump.

I'm going to research tonight, see the feasibility on repairing it or trading it in on something new, not another Civic now, problably a Toyota Corolla, ugly but more reliable than this.

Before this I bragged Honda's reliabilty to everyone saying my car will run forever since it's just highway driven, oh well. All cars have problems, but I did not expect to have anything major on a Honda under 200K. My wife's 92 Accord is going strong at 175K with nothing major, knock on wood.

Luckily this Civic is paid for, that helps. I feel bad for the guys having these problems that are out of warranty with a few years left of payments.
Old 02-11-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
thats the same problem i'm having only I've changed the fluid 3x and only have 45k miles. it slips when cold, not when warm. if your tranny is whining, its pieces of broken clutch pack floating around and going through the trans pump.
Old 02-11-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
i have an auto too and i got almost 20,000 miles on my 04 and i havent done any tranny fluid changes yet, i was gonna install an auto tranny cooler over the summer but should i do them soon or would it just be a waste since you did so much tranny care and it seems to have done nothing
Old 02-11-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
at 18k the fluid in mine was in bad shape (black instead of red). I think that if I could do it over, I would have changed it at 3k miles once it got broken in. Cause when I drained it, there was tons of metal inside that floated around for all those miles. The sooner the better I would say. Altho in my case it was too late. I put my cooler in around 20k. that didn't help either because the problem is a defective clutch pack and not a heat issue.
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

fieryhill is an unknown quantity at this point
i posted in another thread somewhere but....does anyone know if they fixed this for 04-05's or do we have a crappy trans. too??
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
thats the same problem i'm having only I've changed the fluid 3x and only have 45k miles. it slips when cold, not when warm. if your tranny is whining, its pieces of broken clutch pack floating around and going through the trans pump.
Yeah, I'm pretty positive its the sound of the pump going out. Heard it before on others. Yippy.

Whats the going rate at the dealership to rebuild these things?

I'm thinking along the lines of removing it myself and taking it to have it rebuilt. Not sure if a dealership will do that, or if they do all or nothing.

I might just take it to a reputable tranny shop instead of a dealer.

I think until I have my plan squared away I'm going to borrow my parent's ol' 91 Camry beater and rack up the miles on it. I really don't want to be stranded on the desolate highways I travel.

Last edited by 65Coronet440; 02-11-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2006
Premium Member

well there is an aftermarket part for the faulty honda part so its best to get it rebuilt. I still don't know which part that is tho. I know dealer doesn't rebuild, only replace. actually nobody here knows how to rebuild a tranny. lucky me. they say all they can do is swap a new one in (with the same problem).
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

fieryhill is an unknown quantity at this point
well there is an aftermarket part for the faulty honda part so its best to get it rebuilt. I still don't know which part that is tho. I know dealer doesn't rebuild, only replace. actually nobody here knows how to rebuild a tranny. lucky me. they say all they can do is swap a new one in (with the same problem).
soooo is this just a problem with 01-03's
Old 02-11-2006
Premium Member

i wish i knew. cause if the 04 is fixed I'll just take it in and have them swap it out. my gut tells me they didn't fix it, because 01-05 is mechanically the same. the only changes they make during off years are cosmetic. altho they fixed some small stuff going from 01 to 02. so i don't know for sure.
Old 02-15-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
what pisses me off the most is that the jackass @ my honda dealer dont even tell me if theresa recall....last time i asked him, he goes like "what car" i go civic...hes like nah.
Old 02-15-2006
Premium Member

well they never did a recall altho they should have. it would cost them too much to replace thousands of tranny.
Old 02-15-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Mine slips about 500 rpms when cold but its rock solid when warm so I dunno... I guess I'll find out if i turbo it lol. 100whp gear 100 LOLOLOLOL
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
Mine slips about 500 rpms when cold but its rock solid when warm so I dunno... I guess I'll find out if i turbo it lol. 100whp gear 100 LOLOLOLOL
Thats what mine was doing 20,000 miles ago. Slipped when cold, fine when warm. Now the tranny is also whining when cold.

Just keep a little extra funds ($2500) for a tranny repair and you'll be fine
Old 02-15-2006

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Screw that I'd just swap to manual lol, and 20k miles? bwhahaha. I put like 8k a year on mine so I'll be ok
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

Well, but I just do highway driving so your 5000 miles is probably like my 30,000 miles.
Old 02-15-2006
Banned

um, mine slips even when its hot, its getting that bad...but i notice that if i keep it under 35000 rpm its fine
Old 02-15-2006
Premium Member

hmm even from a cold start if the weather is above 50F it will not slip. only below freezing and the colder it gets the worse it slips. i've been through two bad winters of below 0 and it shifted fine...
Old 02-15-2006
Banned

yeah it shifted fine

it doesnt do it now, does it? nope! its made of plastic what did you expect?
Old 02-15-2006
Premium Member

damn remember in the old days when things were made of met-al haha
Old 02-16-2006
Banned

metal in a 7thgen civic tranny? no way.......when?
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
yeah my tranny slips whenn its cold two.
Old 02-18-2006
Banned

your not the only one bro, dont feel bad lol....mines at a point now that its even doing it when its warm.....i'm surprised it hasnt failed it but i havent drove it since i got my type s...like a week already
Old 02-18-2006

<--- I'm gonna try to blow mine up when i boost ololololol
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

lol yep when i blow mine its going to be time for a k20
Old 02-19-2006
Banned

lol so when you blow your tranny, your going to geta k20 engine? wtf?
Old 02-19-2006
Registered!!

yep i see it this way, when my tranny blows rather than fixing it like $2000 i can get a used k20a3 for cheaper than $2000 then s/c it.
Old 02-19-2006
Banned

ok so whats the point of having a k2a3 if your tranny doesn workk?
Old 02-19-2006
Premium Member

lol yea you need a tranny too not just engine
Old 02-19-2006
Registered!!

Hmm The Hole Point Of The Swap Would Be The K20a3+5 Speed Manual Tranny.
Old 02-19-2006
Registered!!

lol yea you need a tranny too not just engine
I Ment The Hole Swap Motor+Tranny

Quick Reply: a video from me, to you guys with your slippin tranny