Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Door won't open from inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jenglass is an unknown quantity at this point
Door won't open from inside

Is there a way I can fix the driver door by myself? Basically, I have to roll the window down and use the outside handle to get out. The inside one stopped working.
Old 09-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
More then likely the rod that connects to the door handle got disconnected from it. Assuming your have a 01-05 civic, at the top where the door handle is on the inside, remove the little box in there and behind it remove the screws and there is rod that should connect to the door handle, it is a shinny rod and it connects into a plastic clip that can be moved around. look and see if it is still connected, if it isnt, see if it is hanging there and just reconnect it, otherwise remove the door panel and position it back up to the top.

here is a pic to help you, look at the second or so pic, there is the rod you are looking for. http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=149120

Last edited by streetglower; 09-26-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nmastereal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Door won't open from inside

bump

I am having this same problem except i opened it, and the metal rod is not disconnected from the inside handle, i can pull the inside handle completely out, how do i reconnect it to the other part it should be connected to? pictures would help please
The following users liked this post:
CDubb (03-02-2023)
Old 10-22-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Is the long metal rod still connected to the handle ?? If so you will need to pull the panel and see where it came loose (it goes over to the latch assembly near the edge of the door)

Last edited by CraigW; 10-22-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-22-2009
Registered!!

do you have a pic of the latch assembly? i get the panel off but i cant get under the metal frame where the rod goes
Old 10-22-2009
Registered!!

i have an 03 civic lx
Old 10-22-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Here is a thread (the actuator mounts to the latch. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-actuator.html

You should be able to look in and see where the inside handle rod goes into the latch. It is near the top. If the rod is loose from the latch...? the rods end length will match closely with where it came loose from.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

i know its been a long time but i have been away, i managed to get it in the right position but it doesnt stay there, when you pull the handle it comes off the latch. I dont know what to do
Old 12-16-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

is that plastic holder broken?
Old 12-17-2009
Registered!!

it looks more like a ledge rather than an L shaped holder
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lever.png
Views:	525
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	77678  
Old 12-17-2009
Registered!!

the metal lever is what im trying to place it on but it seems like im putting it on an object that looks like that, when i make that go down the door unlocks but it wont stay there.
Old 12-17-2009

Originally Posted by nmastereal
the metal lever is what im trying to place it on but it seems like im putting it on an object that looks like that, when i make that go down the door unlocks but it wont stay there.
The blue drawing looks like the inside handle ?? or is that somewhere else ??

The linkage rods are connected to other parts in a couple ways, but for the most part have plastic clips of different colors that swivel and clip over the rod to secure it in place.
Old 12-17-2009
Registered!!

i wish i could get a better look at where it goes.
what i drew is the metal rod that comes from the handle into the door opening mechanism. all i can barely see is a plastic lever looking like the blue wedge (its really white plastic) and when i put the metal rod (arm) onto it and pull the door unlocks but it doesnt stay firmly
Old 12-18-2009

The inside handle should have the plastic clip that swivels around and is clipped onto the metal bar once it is in place in the handle.
Old 06-10-2010
Registered!!

the metal bar is connected to the inside handle but i can just pull the handle with rod out so i need to find where the rod connects and i cant see ****.
Old 06-14-2010
Registered!!

Vail67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having a very similar problem on my 1998 Civic. The interior door handle doesn't engage/work when it's on, but when i unscrew it and pop it out and physically pull it, it opens the door. From everything I can see, nothing is loose. Any ideas? Thank you!
Old 03-02-2023
Registered!!

CDubb is an unknown quantity at this point

14 years later.... figure it out?!? lmk
Old 03-02-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, pull apart the interior door handle mechanism and post up a pic. There's a metal bar with a 90-degree bend at the end that interfaces with the handle. That's the part that Vali67 is talking about pulling to open the door. If you're in the same exact predicament, I'm willing to bet the problem is narrowed down to the door handle assembly itself

the pic part is so we can see what you're looking at to see if we can tell you what's broken
Old 03-02-2023
Registered!!

CDubb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
If you can, pull apart the interior door handle mechanism and post up a pic. There's a metal bar with a 90-degree bend at the end that interfaces with the handle. That's the part that Vali67 is talking about pulling to open the door. If you're in the same exact predicament, I'm willing to bet the problem is narrowed down to the door handle assembly itself

the pic part is so we can see what you're looking at to see if we can tell you what's broken
Yes, that's still attached to the handle itself and the rod is not just hanging loose. It still lightly moves the actuator it seems but not enough to open from the inside only. I'm guessing a new actuator is needed but I'll post asap.