Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

stuck in park [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
semora is an unknown quantity at this point
stuck in park [solved]

last night i drove down the street to get some reception, turn off my car and sit there for a while talking. about 2 hours later, i try to leave and no dice. My car turns on just fine and the stearing wheel isn't locked or anything, but I cant take it out of park. anyone know what the hell is wrong and/or how i fix it?

I drive a 2003 EX (Coupe) if that matters at all.
Old 09-15-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rockhound124 is an unknown quantity at this point
On older Civics, there was a hole near the shifter where you could stick your key into it and release it. Unsure if it is still in the newer cars. See if you can remove a small cover near the shifter. Stick the key in to release.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Josh Lovins (12-11-2020)
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
sounds like a problem with the shift lock system. when you press on the brake, do you hear the clicking coming from the center console?
Old 09-15-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, listen and feel for the click at the shifter.

Are the brake lights coming on when you step on brake pedal ??
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

oh ****. i forgot to mention that i drive an automatic.

let me walk down the street and ill see what i hear and everything.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

so apparenltly the brake lights aren't coming on when i press on the brake pedal; i didn't see anywhere i could stick my key to unlock anything; and there was a small clicking, but i don't know if that's normally there or not. i mean that it was so small that it might always be there any i never noticed before.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

tacheon is on a distinguished road
If you can squeeze the shift button, but cannot shift out of park, the parking pawl is jammed or can also mean your car is developing a problem with the shift interlock safety system. Both of these conditions can be temporarily remedied by the shiftlock release. It's a black cover located above the letter P on the shift console. Remove the cover and depress the hole with a key or screwdriver, move the shifter to N and start the car (assuming it isn't started yet), then move it to drive and you're done. To prevent the parking pawl from jamming, always use your parking brake before shifting into park. This takes the load off of the parking pawl and prevents it from jamming in the future. If it still jams, you'll have to start troubleshooting the electromechanical shift interlock system.

As a side note, people should always use the parking brake. It's called a parking brake for a reason... I don't know where the term emergency brake came from, but I think its used a lot more as a parking brake than in an emergency.... Ok. I'm done my rant now.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Kukuruza (09-17-2020)
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by semora
so apparenltly the brake lights aren't coming on when i press on the brake pedal; i didn't see anywhere i could stick my key to unlock anything; and there was a small clicking, but i don't know if that's normally there or not. i mean that it was so small that it might always be there any i never noticed before.
Ok. The click indicates your shift interlock is preventing the release button from being depressed. Your brake switch is part of the shift interlock system. The fact yoru brake light isn't comming on indicates a problem with the brake switch. Replace your brake switch and you should be back to normal. The shift lock cover is a square shaped cover with a slot next to it to allow you to gently pry the cover off with a flat screwdriver.
Old 09-15-2005

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
If you do not have brake lights ?? Start with the fuses #7 in under hood box 15 amp, then check the brake switch.

Last edited by CraigW; 09-15-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

where the hell is the brake switch?
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
where the hell is the brake switch?
it is located above the brake pedal.

Last edited by streetglower; 09-15-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

is it just a button or what. i was looking for it this morning prior to starting this thread and had no luck finding it.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

its just basically a switch with a connection of wires connected to it. It is located above the brake pedal or behind it.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
If you do not have brake lights ?? Start with the fuses #7 in under hood box 15 amp, then check the brake switch.
Yes! Do this first. Sorry, I'm skipping ahead. If this is ok, then go hunt for the brake switch. It's an electrical switch above the brake pedal with a wht/grn and a wht/blk wire going to it.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

it's a little darker now and i can see the lights for myself (i just had some stranger let me know if they were working or not earlier) and they appear to be working. it's possible that it was so bright outside that he couldn't tell. i don't know if they work when i press the pedal, but they certainly do work when i lock the car. if they work when i lock the car does that mean that the fuse is fine?
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

it's a little darker now and i can see the lights for myself (i just had some stranger let me know if they were working or not earlier) and they appear to be working. it's possible that it was so bright outside that he couldn't tell. i don't know if they work when i press the pedal, but they certainly do work when i lock the car. if they work when i lock the car does that mean that the fuse is fine?
No. The flashes you see when you lock your car are not from the brake light, they are from the parking illumination light. Same bulb, different circuit. Step on the brake and check to see if the brakes light up.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

nevermind, brake lights dont work when i press the pedal. how odd.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

and there is a clicking noise when i press on the pedal too.
Old 09-15-2005

The taillights flash when you lock/unlock.

Look in the back glass or even in the mirrors while stepping on the brake it will be easy to tell if they are coming on or not.

The click should be heard and felt near the shifter.

If not working check the fuse mentioned.

Last edited by CraigW; 09-15-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

it was the fuse. thanks a million.
Old 05-23-2017
Registered!!

Kyrstonlucille is an unknown quantity at this point
re: stuck in park [solved]

Originally Posted by tacheon
If you can squeeze the shift button, but cannot shift out of park, the parking pawl is jammed or can also mean your car is developing a problem with the shift interlock safety system. Both of these conditions can be temporarily remedied by the shiftlock release. It's a black cover located above the letter P on the shift console. Remove the cover and depress the hole with a key or screwdriver, move the shifter to N and start the car (assuming it isn't started yet), then move it to drive and you're done. To prevent the parking pawl from jamming, always use your parking brake before shifting into park. This takes the load off of the parking pawl and prevents it from jamming in the future. If it still jams, you'll have to start troubleshooting the electromechanical shift interlock system.

As a side note, people should always use the parking brake. It's called a parking brake for a reason... I don't know where the term emergency brake came from, but I think its used a lot more as a parking brake than in an emergency.... Ok. I'm done my rant now.
Thank you so much!! We just had this problem and this worked we were stuck with our 2 young kids away from home and this saved our night. Just wanted to say thanks, it's nice to have some advice actually work for once!!!!
Old 01-07-2020
Registered!!

Natehunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb re: stuck in park [solved]

Hello, so i have read the thread and i have a similar problem. The difference i replaced the brake switch and i still cant shift out of park nor do my brake lights come on.

Help
Old 01-08-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Have you checked fuse number 2 (15 amp) in the under-hood fuse box?
Old 01-08-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Check the #7 (15A) fuse in the Under-Hood Fuse/Relay Box or for a faulty brake pedal position switch.
Old 01-08-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NDNV
Check the #7 (15A) fuse in the Under-Hood Fuse/Relay Box or for a faulty brake pedal position switch.
Thank you for correcting me, I was looking at taillights and not brake lights.
Old 05-10-2022
Registered!!

Andy_Car_Noob is an unknown quantity at this point

hello!

So about a week ago I started to have this issue with my 2005 honda civic Id like some help troubleshooting.

I tried replacing the #7 fuse. I thought that worked but after about an hour of driving I parked at hoe and low and behold it was stuck in park again.

I tested the brake switch and it must be in working order because when I disconnect it the brake lights stay on.

I bought a code reader and it says I should replace my fuel tank pressure sensor. Could this be what is causing the gear shift to lock repeatedly? or is it more likely a horn relay issue?

Almost forgot to mention that after that one hour of driving when I thought I had it fixed, I realized the horn wasn't working.

Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated. Getting tired of trouble shooting but just in case its a serious issue I dont want to drive it anywhere. (I dont need it for commuting to work and back so I have the luxury of taking my time to figure out what is wrong technically)
Old 05-10-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Andy_Car_Noob
hello!

So about a week ago I started to have this issue with my 2005 honda civic Id like some help troubleshooting.

I tried replacing the #7 fuse. I thought that worked but after about an hour of driving I parked at hoe and low and behold it was stuck in park again.

I tested the brake switch and it must be in working order because when I disconnect it the brake lights stay on.

I bought a code reader and it says I should replace my fuel tank pressure sensor. Could this be what is causing the gear shift to lock repeatedly? or is it more likely a horn relay issue?

Almost forgot to mention that after that one hour of driving when I thought I had it fixed, I realized the horn wasn't working.

Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated. Getting tired of trouble shooting but just in case its a serious issue I dont want to drive it anywhere. (I dont need it for commuting to work and back so I have the luxury of taking my time to figure out what is wrong technically)
have you checked this one?

Originally Posted by tacheon

Old 05-13-2022
Registered!!

Andy_Car_Noob is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: stuck in park [solved]

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
have you checked this one?
So I cannot depress the button on the gearshift, which I thought disqualifies me from that point. But I also had the impression that this was kind of a band aid solution that would mainly just get the car to a mechanics shop. Whereas I want to fix the underlying issue. If I just ignore what caused all these malfunctions in the first place the problem would just get worse wouldn't it?
Old 05-13-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: stuck in park [solved]

Something is wrong with the mechanism, grab one out of the junkyard for like $16