Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Car not going past 3k and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ReD2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car not going past 3k and backfiring

I was on my way back from a restaurant with 5 people in my car and it was about a 20 min ride extremely hot also...when i get off the highway the check engine light came on and when i started to give it gas it was struggling extremely like if it was running off of 2 cylinders and i couldnt go faster than 15 mph, also it was backfiring extremely with black smoke coming out, after about 4 hours i started my car once again and the CEL light was on and the car worked fine, the car is at the mechanic right now and there were no codes stored...i have no idea whats wrong with my car but it just keeps pisssin me offfffffff...any help please..
Old 08-17-2005
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ReD2k1
I was on my way back from a restaurant with 5 people in my car and it was about a 20 min ride extremely hot also...when i get off the highway the check engine light came on and when i started to give it gas it was struggling extremely like if it was running off of 2 cylinders and i couldnt go faster than 15 mph, also it was backfiring extremely with black smoke coming out, after about 4 hours i started my car once again and the CEL light was on and the car worked fine, the car is at the mechanic right now and there were no codes stored...i have no idea whats wrong with my car but it just keeps pisssin me offfffffff...any help please..
Hard to beleive that the CEL is on with no codes
Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

yea tell me about it they checked it out and there were no codes, the light turned off a couple of hours after this all happened, and there was no light when they went to check the codes or anything
Old 08-17-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
try to reset the ecu yet???
Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I agree, if the check engine light came on, there would be a trouble code stored. It doesnt just come on for the hell of it.

Even if the light went off, there will still be a trouble code stored untill it is cleared or the ECU is reset. Take it to another shop or go to autozone and ask them to scan for the code.
Old 08-17-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
almost sounds like the timing belt broke...
Old 08-17-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
almost sounds like the timing belt broke...
nah, he said it started up fine after he let it set for a while. if a timing belt broke, ht would screwed until the engine was tore down and reuilt.

My gues is it was overheated, but I'm not sure (5 people with the AC on on a hot day getting on to the highway). When the engine senses a "ping" it will retard the timing. A mech told me it will conitue to retard the timing untill the pinging stops, sometimes this means it will go the extreme of making the car not run right so that you shut it off and let everything cool. You may not see the water temp raise because what you see in the car is exaclty that, the water temp, not the temp of the engine. If the engine gets to hot and the air is hot, you have a good chance of "ping." That's jsut my guess
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

wow this is getting on my nerves...I just picked up my car from the mechanic and it they said they couldnt duplicate the problem and it was running fine...after that i picked it up and i drove it for about 30 min and then the light turned on...and then the car ran fine then a couple a miles later the same thing happened....it completely bogged out and it wouldnt go past 10 mph, backfiring like crazy, i pulled over took out the ecu fuse the light turned off and the car start up hard and at first all i got was one loud backfire like a gun shot on the second try it started up.....i looked and i saw that my 02 sensors were like melting cause of the extreme heat from the outside and my header..........any help please..........
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
check your TPS and MAP sensors, I had a loose wire once and had similar problems and turns out it was one of those sensors...
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
wow this is getting on my nerves...I just picked up my car from the mechanic and it they said they couldnt duplicate the problem and it was running fine...after that i picked it up and i drove it for about 30 min and then the light turned on...and then the car ran fine then a couple a miles later the same thing happened....it completely bogged out and it wouldnt go past 10 mph, backfiring like crazy, i pulled over took out the ecu fuse the light turned off and the car start up hard and at first all i got was one loud backfire like a gun shot on the second try it started up.....i looked and i saw that my 02 sensors were like melting cause of the extreme heat from the outside and my header..........any help please..........
take it to a different mechanic. But this time before you do, wait untill the check engine light comes back on and dont turn the car off and reset the ECU. thats probably why the shop didnt see any codes or found any problem. you had already cleared the code. I have no idea why the o2 sensors would be melting, I have never heard of that, but if your car is backfiring, then combustion is taking place in the exhaust. unburned fuel and a spark, or possibly heat is causing the mixture to fire in the exhaust. Your timing could possibly be off, but if that light comes back on and the problem happens again, take it back or go to autozone and get the code scanned.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

alright im gonna let my car cool down and see what this code is and then i will search for the code on here...ill post it and let you guys kno see if you have any input on that.....but its weird the plastic where the female and male piece of the o2 sensor wire plug in are starting to melt....
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

alright im gonna let my car cool down and see what this code is and then i will search for the code on here...ill post it and let you guys kno see if you have any input on that.....but its weird the plastic where the female and male piece of the o2 sensor wire plug in are starting to melt....
well since you already pulled the ECU fuse, you reset the ECU so there will be no code there. Wait untill the check engine light comes back on then go get it checked.
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

So anyways its been a month and half since my last post from this issue but what i ended up doing is getting my header removed back to stock, intake back to stock 2 new O2 sensors, new throttle body(third one i might add) and i drove it from ft lauderdale to orlando(where i go to school) and everything seemed fine...a lot better gas mileage i might add...but then one hot *** day i was driving with the AC on and i was driving around for like 30 min and then all of a sudden same problem again..CEL turns on, car is REALLLY SLUGGISH, wont go past 3k again and yea same problem allllll over again....
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

again since the code came back on, you need to go to autozone or some shop and have them check what code is coming up. This is why the car is acting sluggish and not going past 3K rpms. Once you figure out the code, refer to the OBDII thread and see what it is and let us know and I or someone else with a manual can guide you through on how to fix it.
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

Alright thanks I am going to drive the car around probably tomorrow and see when the light turns back on cause right now its off since i needed to reset my ECU cause i was on my way to class and needed to get there in time and the only way it runs is when i reset the ECU
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

Alright heres the update my check engine light is one once again and then i finally took it to autozone which was like 20 minutes from me and when i pulled up it started doing the same thing not going past 3k and what not....the code that was put out was P0172 (System too rich)...if someone could help me out on that or guide me that would be great
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

alright you finally have the code. NOW DONT RESET IT.

Now I assume there wasnt any other codes because you would have said something.

Now the first thing with this code is to check the fuel pressure. if its too high, you need to replace the regulator. if too low, check the pump, fuel feed line, fuel filter, and replace the regulator.

Now if those are all ok, check the output of the primary o2 sensor with a scan tool. Now is the output less then 0.3 V or more then 0.6 V? If yes, replace the primary o2 sensor. If no, turn the ignition switch off and with a vacuum pump, apply vacuum to the evap emissions canister purge valve from the intake manifold side. Does the valve hold vacuum?

If yes, check the engine valve clearances and adjust if necessary. if they are ok, replace the injectors.

If no, replace the EVAP canister purge valve.

this is the diagnosis for the code, so if you can check those, it should lead you to your problem. Otherwise, might have a shop do it. If you have any questions, let me know.
Old 03-09-2006
Registered!!

civicstreetrcr is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey any updates on this problem, Im currently having the same problem except mine is manual and wont go past 3500 rpm
Old 03-10-2006
Registered!!

you need to reset the ECU. if that doesnt fix your problem, and if the check engine light comes back on due to the CKP sensor, then you need to address that issue first. once fixed, will fix the problem.
Old 07-14-2023
Registered!!

Cjreyes89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Car not going past 3k and backfiring

So my 02 civic ex has a 1.7 vtec in it and was doing the same thing would start and run perfect but as soon as I went over 2000rpm it would fall on its face and would backfire and die I had changed the oil pressure sensor and my vvt sensor witch is my variable valve timing oil pressure sensor and come to fine out wasn't neither it was my cam shift position sensor underneath my valve cover hope this helps someone
Old 07-17-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Car not going past 3k and backfiring

This thread hasn't been touched in 17 years.....create your own.