Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
palsana is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*

Update 29th Sept 2012
At 179,300 miles finally the transmission gave up with a P0730/P0740 code and transmission shifter was unable to move without unlocking the box.
My dream of making it to 200k with this car finally is looking very close to coming to an end!!!!!!!! thats sad for me.
One day the oxygen sensor wire just fell off the car, and it stopped/locked up my transmission shifter so much so it would not move at all. tried putting back the oxygen sensor & having tried running it, the gears will still not fall in place. Only the reverse gear seems to be working. i was hopeful that the transfluid change with Valvoline DercMax would work but i can conclude at higher miles(150k) no transfluid will ever prevent a bad transmission from slipping, the slipping issue forever remains no matter what transfluid is used. And after many rebuilts the transmission requires a lot of TLC to keep running.
the following codes are still with CEL
p1505
p0505
p1129
p1141-oxygen sensors
p0730
p0740

Originally Posted by palsana
It may sound WIERD but i am waiting until its 200k+ mi on my car!!!! (That supposedly buys me upto 5mos of time, without having to change tires, ($400) Body work($300) and A/c radiator issues ($380).
i m praying tranny dont fail me before 200k.
Its 178108 mi right now!!!!. I've already had 2 tranny rebuilts.

If it does,(the tranny) its over!!!!!.. funeral date will be scheduled ($300 gain)
maybe i will just part out!!!!!. .
The engine i am mighty proud of havent given me any probs just yet!!!!!.

BTW, i am not considered a GOOD CARE TAKER OF MY CAR...i do have to admit that. If only absolutely positively NEEDED then i actually find a cheapo mechanic and get it done!!!!

Thats just how i have gotten to 178k mi so far!!!!. its for real. i only speak the truth, nothing else but the truth, so save me GOD.
Upto almost 99k, i have had no major breakdowns/accidents/problems with the car.

wish me luck!!!!!
Old 09-29-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

How did your O2 sensor fall out? Man i hope mine doesnt, any way to prevent this from happening?
Old 09-30-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
How did your O2 sensor fall out? Man i hope mine doesnt, any way to prevent this from happening?

even I question that? I had a mechanic shop do that work?
Unbelievable?
Old 05-13-2013
Registered!!

bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread but I emailed synchrotech-trans and asked them if they can use Alto kits that has the Red Eagle clutches and Kolene Steels.

We do not use Alto products, we use Transtec rebuild kits and Dynax frictions.

https://www.wittrans.com/showfilter....812&Section=77

This kit seems to be cheap I guess but not sure of the quality. I asked again if they are welling to use the Alto kits if I buy it myself and send it to them.
Old 08-08-2013
Registered!!

jess21 is an unknown quantity at this point

01' LX Manual, 131k
Old 11-09-2013
Registered!!

Shytown is an unknown quantity at this point

1998 EX- dont know my issue as of yet- buta 500 rpm raise when it needs torque- settles when load is no longer needed dropping 500 rpm. has chirped second gear 1 time, and I no longer accelerate hard in first gear. Something really wrong- just need an Idea!
Old 10-22-2014
Registered!!

rrichard7 is an unknown quantity at this point

01 EX sedan, automatic quit Jan 2013 somewhere between 110K and 120K miles. Shop said it was the torque converter.
Old 10-25-2014
Registered!!

haha49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Avoid hills at all costs of gasoline and clutch material. The end of the trans is soon, very soon. When the moment of failure happens limp your way into an open area allowing room for the wrecker to approach the front of the car.
Know ahead of time where you will have trans serviced.
I drive a manual on hills all day long lots of hills around here. It's no big deal if your used to them on a 93 civic I went 220,000 km before I had to change the clutch

on my New 2005 civic something is jacked up in the manual transmission as I got T bonned while in 2nd gear the car kept rolling but the auto shutoff kicked in so it turned the motor over while it was off and still connected to the wheels. It did something to the transmission as 2nd just doesn't work like it used to does some funny things. It whines in between 3000 and 4000 rpm while it spools down goes errrr.... and shudders. (suspect a bearing) Just haven't bothered to fix it as the clutch is still good and the 2005 car is still at 101,000 kms.
Old 10-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i hate to even post this in fear i will jinx myself,

05 auto 280,000km original tranny still shifts like its brand new
Old 02-21-2015
Registered!!

Turboshine is an unknown quantity at this point

2001 Civic EX Auto....93k miles...my daughter's car. No signs of any problems prior to failure. It was about 22 degrees Fahrenheitand the car had been warmed up for about 10 minutes prior to driving. Within twenty minutes of leaving the house she noticed the car wasn't shifting properly. About 5 minutes after this started happening the car would not go past 20 MPH so she pulled over into a parking lot and called me. Fluid was not low and looked/smelled fine. Would not go back into gear so we had it towed to my local shop.

Got two quotes for a rebuild. One was for an OEM rebuild with an 18 month/18k warranty for $2900 and a Jasper with a 36 month/100k warranty for $3900. Both seem quite high to me. The quotes include labor and tax. The car is work about $4000 right now even though everything else on it is in great shape. I really hate to sink this much money into it but I know I won't find anything better for under $6000.

So We bought this car used about 8 months ago with 88k miles on it. It is actually in good shape otherwise. I should have known since 3 out of 4 Honda's I have owned in the last 12 years had transmission problems including my wife's 02 Civic EX that needed a new transmission at 27k then again at 70k. Not buying Honda again that's for sure. My wife and I switched over to Hyundai in 2013 and are very happy.
Old 11-11-2015
Registered!!

old car fan has a spectacular aura aboutold car fan has a spectacular aura about

2005 Civic LX automatic with 97K miles. The final drive bearings are bad. Parked and waiting to make a decision whether to dump the car or rebuild the transmission.
If we dump, no more Hondas ever.
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Arnie Raj is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a 2001 lx a few months ago from a guy who had been the sole owner. It had 250,000 miles on it already but he practically gave it to me. It ran fine for about 20,000 more miles and then the trans died. I found a used one from a 2003 model (apparently 03-05 are less prone to failure) and put it in this week. Hope to get it back tomorrow. We'll see how long it lasts. Paid 268$ for the used trans and 400$ labor, not bad i think.
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

2001 Honda civic automatic transmission was about to fail and was done through Honda dealer 5 years ago and is working like a champ since than, they also installed an external filter as well. I replace my suspension for HFP genuine Honda same time and it made my car handling super well lower it about half an inch so. No major problems just do regular maintenance has about over 210K miles and really love my car.
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

old car fan has a spectacular aura aboutold car fan has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by old car fan
2005 Civic LX automatic with 97K miles. The final drive bearings are bad. Parked and waiting to make a decision whether to dump the car or rebuild the transmission.
If we dump, no more Hondas ever.
UPDATE: I got rid of it. I figured that I could buy a "good" Honda or a better Toyota for the amount of money I got for it adjusted with the cost of a transmission R & R.
We have an 06 MDX we bought new that still has just under 33K on it that is now my wife's daily driver. The only complaint is the gas mileage sucks. It gets about 1/2 what the Civic got.
Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mapdog will become famous soon enough

My input shaft bearing started making a lot of noise at 250,000 miles. I replaced the entire manual transmission and clutch. The old clutch looked like it didn't need replacing but I had already bought one. Also, who would change transmissions and not freshen up the clutch?
Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

Did your original clutch last 250K? I hope you resurfaced the flywheel in any case.
Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

mapdog will become famous soon enough

Yes, and the clutch looked very good. If I hadn't already bought the new piece, I would have re-installed it. I bought a new flywheel.
Old 03-21-2021
Registered!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Harry Hemi is an unknown quantity at this point

2003 Civic, bought at 150k miles. Auto tranny started flaring from 2-3 and 3-4. When I got the car it wasnt taken care of at all.
Tranny fluid was black with all kinds of metal in it. I flushed out the fluid for nice new fluid.
2-3 doesnt flare anymore, but 3-4 still flares, for the first 10 shifts, then after that its normal. Weird.
Im at 155k miles now and so far so good. I just let go of the gas on the 3-4 shift until it stops flaring to take it easy on the clutches. Fluid is still pink.
Old 03-22-2021
Registered!!

niemand is an unknown quantity at this point

2002 Civic LX automatic transmission failed at 150k in 2010. Had it rebuilt. Now 266k. Waiting for it to fail. Have been changing tranny fluid every 24k to 30k. The dipstick sits loose by gravity only. Power steering now leaking. Timing belt coming due again. Cheap plastic air intake filter/cleaner box started falling apart long ago, losing nuts. Very disappointed experience. Will never buy another Honda again.
Old 03-22-2021
Registered!!

You can get a dipstick for like $12, and it will be tight.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by niemand
2002 Civic LX automatic transmission failed at 150k in 2010. Had it rebuilt. Now 266k. Waiting for it to fail. Have been changing tranny fluid every 24k to 30k. The dipstick sits loose by gravity only. Power steering now leaking. Timing belt coming due again. Cheap plastic air intake filter/cleaner box started falling apart long ago, losing nuts. Very disappointed experience. Will never buy another Honda again.
It's an 18 year old econo box......
The only other cheap car I've seen last as well as the civic is a corolla
Old 03-22-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
It's an 18 year old econo box......
The only other cheap car I've seen last as well as the civic is a corolla
Yes, but when the tranny failed, it was only 8 years old with 90% highway miles.
Old 03-22-2021

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

01-02/3 were known to have weak transmissions, this was corrected for 04-05.
and it made it well past the warranty period
Old 03-22-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
01-02/3 were known to have weak transmissions, this was corrected for 04-05.
and it made it well past the warranty period
Could the rebuild on the '02 tranny have been made to the '04-'05 standards?
Old 03-22-2021

Potentially, you would have to ask the tranny shop
Old 03-22-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The only difference I remember reading about was an internal filter. It was twice as large on the later model years.
niemand (03-22-2021)
Old 03-23-2021
T-REV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mochimo23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Harry Hemi
You can get a dipstick for like $12, and it will be tight.
I’ve done this twice and the new one will be doing the same thing as the original in a month. I think the heat causes the rubber to shrink and after doing this several times it won’t go back to its original size.
niemand (03-23-2021)
Old 04-11-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mochimo23
I’ve done this twice and the new one will be doing the same thing as the original in a month. I think the heat causes the rubber to shrink and after doing this several times it won’t go back to its original size.
Thats weird. Ive had mine in since last June and its still tight. Could be a brand thing.

Quick Reply: Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*