Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Well my tranny failed with the 2nd-5th gear popping out and a 3rd gear grind at 35,000 miles with my dad (45 year old) driving it to work everday. Mine did not fail due to "aggressive driving". I mean look at all the transmission TSB's there are. Obviously Honda saw the problem and fixed it in the newer 7thgens. I would expect an 04 not to have the problems of the 01's and 02's.
Old 02-14-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well ya the recall was too expensive so they didn't do one.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EM2jdm is an unknown quantity at this point
well i took my car into honda today and they said it would be fully covered by my warranty even with my mods. also have the 7/75,000 on my car so if it fails again........

what im getting fixed:

mainshaft bearing is totally gone
2nd gear synco

I also talked the the service rep at honda and he said that they been getting a lot of ppl coming in with transmission problems mainly the 01-03 models
Old 02-14-2006
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gearbox
well ya the recall was too expensive so they didn't do one.

Thats because honda is getting cheap just like the american counter-parts IMO.

Honda definitely isnt what they used to be...
Old 02-14-2006
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
Originally Posted by thiscrackerntam
Thats because honda is getting cheap just like the american counter-parts IMO.

Honda definitely isnt what they used to be...
i kinda agree, i mean god, how can they just ignore this right?
Old 02-14-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well like someone said, they do the math and its cheaper for them to settle individual cases in court and pay them then to recall millions of cars for a new tranny.
Old 02-14-2006
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
At least the acura rsx s is 100% from japan.......
Old 02-14-2006
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
so, with the growing size of this thread, i think its almost time for that someone to work the printer and send this to honda like he said he would.
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

speedster is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rEkKaShInObI
so, with the growing size of this thread, i think its almost time for that someone to work the printer and send this to honda like he said he would.
Do you think it would do any good?
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

65Coronet440 is an unknown quantity at this point
I doubt it, we're a tiny % of the honda civic owners.

If you want them to raise an eye-brow, sue them. Even then it wouldn't do much good unless you've got deep pockets, and if you had deep pockets you wouldn't be driving a civic.
Old 02-15-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 65Coronet440
I doubt it, we're a tiny % of the honda civic owners.

If you want them to raise an eye-brow, sue them. Even then it wouldn't do much good unless you've got deep pockets, and if you had deep pockets you wouldn't be driving a civic.

Honda has a repuation of reliablity, if people start saying there cars break down all the time, they will notice, becuase that is 1 of 2 MAJOR selling points of a Honda. But they pay attention to more "official" data than this.
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

straightfaced is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by speedster
Do you think it would do any good?

You never know.
Old 02-15-2006
Unsalvageable

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Honda has a repuation of reliablity, if people start saying there cars break down all the time, they will notice, becuase that is 1 of 2 MAJOR selling points of a Honda. But they pay attention to more "official" data than this.
what this guy said. our satisfaction is their goal.
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

Just got off the phone with one of the main local Transmission repair shops, he said they've seen a lot of late model Honda's with this problem and seemed to know all about it.

They don't rebuild these transmissions, he feels the problem with them is engineering so they won't rebuild them just to have them break again. They buy OEM and give the customer Honda's OEM warranty, which he thought from memory was like 12/12. $2000 for the tranny and $500 for labor.
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

Anyone know about Aamco's reputation? I know it's a chain and each place might be different, but if it's widely known they use crap parts that would help.

I called them and they said they can rebuild them. He's going to get me best case and worse case scenero quotes and call me back.

I'll let you guys know what I find.
Old 02-16-2006
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
I think the moral of the story is 01+ hondas are pieces of ****
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by thiscrackerntam
I think the moral of the story is 01+ hondas are pieces of ****
Thats my feeling right now.

And forget Aamco, they quoted me $2-3K for a rebuild depending on it's condition. That makes no sense if I can get a brand new one for $2k.
Old 02-17-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Thats my feeling right now.

And forget Aamco, they quoted me $2-3K for a rebuild depending on it's condition. That makes no sense if I can get a brand new one for $2k.
call junkyards to see if they have any 7th gens lying around.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by shroomster
call junkyards to see if they have any 7th gens lying around.
Found a used one about 200 miles from here, $800
Old 02-17-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Found a used one about 200 miles from here, $800
I wanna say 800 is right around what you should pay for a brand new one if honda made one and just wanted to sell it to you outright. you could do what Honda did for me; they put in a remanufactured (not by honda) tranny. which means it was serviced with parts that are o.e.m quality or better. I got mine through Howard Engineering 1-800-647-7058 <<<try them if you want to ensure that your 'new' tranny will not encounter the same problem.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Keigo is an unknown quantity at this point
try here http://www.car-part.com
i found one used $700CAD auto tranny 6 months warranty
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

OMega is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I've also had issue with my 5sp. I gotten around the shifting into second issue by double clutching. I double clutch out of habbit anyways. I get bucking when going into 2nd gear most of the time.

My gut tells me honda changed the matels they used in the tranny and didn't compensate properly for how different metals interact under varies temps. I would like to know if there still using brass for the syncros.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
The older 7thgens used brass i think until they switched to carbon coated synchros.
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

My car bucks sometiems going into second. Is that another tranny problem or bad driving habit?
Old 02-18-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
mine **** at 61k, just after warentteee
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

sasquatch is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a certified used 01 with 20k on it....they gave me a warranty up to 100k. I currently have 85k. I think I'm going to start complaining about the tranny now and get that biatch replaced before I'm out of coverage.
Old 02-23-2006
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
yea, mine has problems going into reverse too! sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times for it to get in there, it will grind, it will go in and then rev but not back up! i want to take it in but from the sound of things the peeps at Honda are b1tches.

i am not too familiar with the tranny...will getting a new clutch help any of ours problems or is there more to it???? i was planning on getting a new clutch so i did not know if it was worth it or if i should go check and see how my tranny is first!
Old 02-24-2006
Registered!!

02blackcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by P.O.S.B.A.S.04
yea, mine has problems going into reverse too! sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times for it to get in there, it will grind, it will go in and then rev but not back up! i want to take it in but from the sound of things the peeps at Honda are b1tches.

i am not too familiar with the tranny...will getting a new clutch help any of ours problems or is there more to it???? i was planning on getting a new clutch so i did not know if it was worth it or if i should go check and see how my tranny is first!
yea, same here, the reverse is a common problem too, just as common as the 2nd-3rd gear grinding, and yea, i took mine in, but its on a 3 week wait, now i have a week left til they look at it and decide if ther gona fix it or not, cuz its out of warranty, but only 42K miles, so honda of america may help me out, i wanted to have a good workin tranny before i trurbo'd it, but if ther not gonna fix it, its gettin sold, and im gonna probly get an integra, they have better trannies
Old 02-25-2006
Registered!!

If I sell mine, I'm getting an RSX or 8thgen.
Old 02-25-2006
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic Ex Sedan

Transmission Rebuilt after two years of frustrations and being ignored by Honda.

p.s. Why don't you send the other post about the tranny while your at it. The one I started. (The huge one!) It explains it all man. Honda needs to pay for this and hopefully it gets them it the pocketbook before it's all over.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*