Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

power loss...

Old 12-09-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silvervtec01 is an unknown quantity at this point
power loss...

ok, i have an lx coupe with custom cat-back 2.25in. piping into a Tanabe style muffler and a GENERIC @SS OBX Short Ram Intake. i've had the exhaust for quite some time now, and have dealt with a few exhaust leaks, but quickly had them fixed. just recently i installed the SRI, which seemed to increase the power and exhaust noise a bit. being that i live in Cali, we just got hit with MAD RAIN STORMS and since then, my car has actually gotten quiter and seems to have lost power & torque. not sure if the rain had anything to do with it, but is it possible that a exhaust leak will cause an exhaust to get quieter and lose power/torque? also, im convinced that with the rain, i sucked up some water in the SRI through that small hole in the passenger side wheel well....could this also cause this change in engine power/torque and exhaust sound?
PLEASE HELP...
Old 12-09-2001
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
if you had an exhaust leak you'd probably hear it. if you did get water in your engine and it didn't die on the spot it probably worked its way out already. you might have a filled up with some bad gas or something.
Old 12-09-2001
Registered!!

vtecharry is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, wait and see what happens after you fill up again. If you still experience power loss, then I 'd disconnect the battery to reset the computer. Leave it disconnected for about 10 min. Then get in the car and see how it feels. If it still feels slow, then put then take it out on the highway and put the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there for a few seconds or until you go up to at least 65-70mph. The computer might change back to the normal fuel maps and stuff and get back to normal. Let us know.
Old 12-09-2001
Registered!!

silvervtec01 is an unknown quantity at this point
true, it could be poor quality gas, but im convinced that it is one or more PIN-HOLE leaks in my exhaust. the guy that built it seems to have done a poor job on my exhaust, cause i've had pin-hole leaks before. i even confronted him with one that i had, and he tried to tell me that there was nothing wrong... i had to point out the leak right to his face before he would fix it. anyways, we'll see. thanks for the suggestions.