Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

2012 civic ex Front Wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mfoley312 is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 civic ex Front Wheel bearing

Hey all,
I have a 2012 civic that I believe needs new front wheel bearings. I'm a self-taught DIYer using videos and such as my teaching tool and have replaced a few things including bearings on my ford ranger, but I can't find a video for a civic of this year. Can anyone tell me if this car takes a wheel bearing that needs to be pressed out and back in or if the bearing comes preset in a hub assembly type of fashion?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 civic ex Front Wheel bearing

Both bearings? You positive it's not just choppy tire tread that's noisy?

Front bearing has to be pressed.

Bearings are also directional nowadays. If you get it backwards, the ABS will hate you...and you end up needing yet another bearing.

It's also best practice to have a wheel alignment done after bearing replacement/knuckle removal. The little bit of slop in the strut-to-knuckle bolts can allow about a half degree of camber change, and a whole bunch of toe change.
Old 04-18-2018
Registered!!

No I'm don't think it's both besrings, I think it's the front left, but if I did one, I'd do the other.
It sounds just like my ranger when the bearing went bad on it, a load road noise sound but I haven't done any more diagnostics on it.

And thank you for your reply, I might buy a repair manual for the civic just to have in case.
Old 04-18-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Many times tire(s) become choppy while on the rear end of the car......the driver doesn't notice because it's a slow process......BUT when the tires get rotated and the choppy tires end up on the front, NOW the noise is really noticeable.
JS.

At speed:
Choppy tire tread sometimes sound like a helicopter
Wheel bearing might sound like an airplane and can vary intensity as you swerve (changing side loading forces)

Most bearing noises can still be heard with the wheels off the ground and tires spinning at road speed, (using a stethoscope and car safely supported on jack stands or car hoist)

But tire tread noises can't be heard at all with the wheels off the ground
Old 04-18-2018
Registered!!

I plan on getting the front end up soon and spinning the tires to see if I can actually hear a grinding noise and if there is play in the wheel. I just wanted to get my bearings (pun intended) on how this car's bearings are situated before I get in too deep.
The car has tires that have probably less than 15k miles on them and still a good amount of tread. But I've never heard of choppy tread; I've just recently started doing work on cars and most of the work has been on my Ranger, so I'm still an amateur.
Old 04-18-2018

But I've never heard of choppy tread;
on those it's usually (but not necessarily) on the inboard edge of the tread, every other block gets worn down so you might see them as ......hi lo hi lo hi lo....and when it spins and they meet the pavement the uneven blocks can howl.

Sorry I don't have any good pics of it saved
Old 04-18-2018
Registered!!

Makes sense, I'll make sure to take a closer look. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

Bearings are also directional nowadays. If you get it backwards, the ABS will hate you...and you end up needing yet another bearing.

It's also best practice to have a wheel alignment done after bearing replacement/knuckle removal. The little bit of slop in the strut-to-knuckle bolts can allow about a half degree of camber change, and a whole bunch of toe change.
Directional? Where I can find directional front wheel bearings for Civic 2013?
Thanks
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

BTW There is no need to remove the knuckle.
Old 06-29-2019

Originally Posted by emich
Directional? Where I can find directional front wheel bearings for Civic 2013?
Thanks
Just buy the correct bearing(s) for the car.

Front wheel bearings: ONE side of each bearing has a magnetic encoder ring that MUST face the ABS sensor.
It is extremely sensitive and easily damaged, so read all cautions and warnings before handling it.

If one does not pay careful attention and the bearing is not installed the correct direction (or if the encoder ring gets damaged), you waste a lot of time and need yet another bearing.
Old 06-30-2019
Registered!!

Got it. We were talking about different things. There is inner (with magnetic strip) and outer site of the bearing but it's not directional. It can be install on driver or passenger site. Thanks