Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Hi new. Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gizzy2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi new. Clutch issue

Am currently getting a civic fn 2008 type s. Which had 119 odd thousand on the clock.

I test drove it and clutch pedal seems hard to push down. It selected gear fine but biting point seemed low.

I do get a warranty with the car but I know some wont cover wear and tear.

Am basically trying to find out. Is this normal. Can anything be adjusted. Where would I stand if it does go after I have the car.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi new. Clutch issue

Compare to an identical car that has no complaint
Old 04-10-2019
Registered!!

What's that's supposed to mean?

Am asking a simple question if you dont have a good answer to this. Then why bother messaging.
Old 04-10-2019
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

What it means (for those that have trouble understanding) is that you sit in another similar car with a manual trans. Does the pedal engage at the same height? Does the clutch slip point feel similar. Not all clutches feel the same. Not all clutch pedals have the same pedal effort. Go drive a semi, a 40 year old tractor, a school bus, and a brand new car with a manual trans. Does the pedal effort and application feel the same in all? No, of course not.

TLDR version: We can't calibrate your leg for you over the internet. We can't measure your pedal effort over the internet. We CAN suggest you compare it to another car that is similarly equipped to see if it is normal.
Old 04-10-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

He meant

To find an identical car, (year, make, model, transmission, engine) and test drive that to verify the clutch feeling.
Old 04-10-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Someone could have installed a heavy duty clutch that causes absurdly high pedal effort (and makes it a real chore to drive instead of easy to drive)...........because racecar

Old 04-10-2019
Registered!!

Dont have that option. In my current car my clutch is soft and engages at a medium high.

All am asking is a civic of this type has a hard to push clutch pedal and a low level engagement of gears.

Am new to a Honda and this was all I wanted to know being a newbie.
Old 04-10-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

and they answered correctly...
Old 04-10-2019

Originally Posted by Gizzy2k
Dont have that option. In my current car my clutch is soft and engages at a medium high.

All am asking is a civic of this type has a hard to push clutch pedal and a low level engagement of gears.

Am new to a Honda and this was all I wanted to know being a newbie.
You still don't get it.

Okay.....either take the car to someone who has tons of experience with all Honda models (Honda dealership graybeard mechanic) and ask their expert opinion on the clutch......

or if you don't think the car is "right" then simply don't buy it, look for a different car that you will be satisfied with.

EDIT: A wise buyer would try to take a potential SERIOUS car purchase candidate to a professional mechanic for a PRE-purchase inspection, and receive a written list and estimates of any and all obvious needs.
If it prevents you from buying a lemon, it's money well spent.
If they can give a list of immediate needs (brakes, tires, suspension parts, leaks, maintenance items, things that don't work, etc), that can give you serious bargaining power during price negotiations and it's still money well spent. .

Last edited by ezone; 04-10-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2019
Registered!!

Thanks will look into getting someone out to check it all over for me. They do use a brakedown company in the UK (rac) to do a inspection on his cars or so he states on his add. So would take it to be they would of did all these checks and must of passed.

Thanks again for all your info.
Old 04-11-2019

Originally Posted by Gizzy2k
They do use a brakedown company in the UK (rac) to do a inspection on his cars or so he states on his add. So would take it to be they would of did all these checks and must of passed.
Think about why that would be done:

A used car sales lot will normally do an inspection and use it to THEIR advantage; so THEY know ahead of time any issues a potential buyer might notice and try to use as their bargaining point.

They might fix a few important things that will help sell the car but nobody is going to sink a ton of money into total restoration on a car they are trying to sell......because that eats up their profit margin.

People don't go into business to lose money or make friends.

This is why a buyer should do their own inspection.
Old 04-12-2019
Registered!!

Very true. I found 2 with same spec yday a 3 door and a 5 door. So went and had a look and checked the clutch pedal was smooth so looks like the one I was to get there is going to be a issue. So wont be bothering.