Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Dangerous rain is dangerous!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
superchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Dangerous rain is dangerous!

Hi guys!

I’ve moved to south east Asia (Singapore to be accurate) and you should see the rain here… If you’ve watched Forrest Gump and you remember the part in Vietnam… well that’s pretty much accurate.

The problem with the rain is that it pours so much that it makes it actually dangerous to drive because the wipers are not be enough.

So I’ve heard about these water repelling coatings, but I’ve got no experience on it and being new to Singapore also means that I don’t know who to ask, that’s why I’m asking you today.

Do you guys have any products that work for a long time (I don’t want to have to reapply it every week…) and that does a decent job at pushing the rain out of my windscreen?
Old 07-17-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: Dangerous rain is dangerous!

i stick to rain-x. i have yet to find anything that works better at low speeds. from what i have found, for best results, claybar the windshield, wax it just like you wax the rest of the car, and then apply the rain-x twice. just the wax alone helps greatly, and the rain-x makes the water run off much better at slow speeds.

i have tried a plethora of products, pretty much all of them i think, even including the crayon style "airplane window wax" where you draw a big x on the window and buff it in. it works great on the highway, but it's not so great under 60mph. some products are longer lasting than rain-x, but they aren't as effective.

to keep good results, you need to reapply it every couple weeks. there's no lazy way around it. i go as far as to add a full bottle of rain-x to the wiper fluid when i refill it. then i can hit the window washer button and effortlessly half-*** apply a little right before or even during the rain. i'm usually driving a 92 mustang on drag radials and rain makes life interesting. going over 50mph in a downpour the car will try to swing around on me. add to that the fact the car has two tiny inadequate 13" wipers that only sweep 90°, and you'll understand my reason for being so into this.

Originally Posted by superchris
Do you guys have any products that work for a long time (I don’t want to have to reapply it every week…) and that does a decent job at pushing the rain out of my windscreen?
a good quality paste wax lasts the longest and provides decent results. aquapel lasts decently and works well. both last a while, but neither keep providing amazing results over time.

Last edited by RobertD; 07-17-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: Dangerous rain is dangerous!

Last edited by RobertD; 07-23-2018 at 09:33 AM.