Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Blurry Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HammondT is an unknown quantity at this point
Blurry Headlights

Hi guys!
I could not find any DIY section so I hope posting here is fine!
I need you because I have to deal with the scourge of all headlights… BLURRY HEADLIGHTS!

I did not pay attention to my headlights and now they are all dirty, I tried cleaning them with toothpaste and a brush as a friend told me but it failed and I really have to get it done: It would be dangerous to drive without them being spotless… any tips? I am getting really desperate…

Also, if anyone knew how to protect my headlights so it does not happen again, I’d love them to share with me!
Old 06-19-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Blurry Headlights

600 grit wet sand with light touch followed by a clear coat spray of polyurethane.

A less lasting option: any well reviewed commercial brand treatment.

If condensation is being formed inside headlight housing only a new or used replacement will fix it.
Old 06-19-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I use the meguiars kit and it works really well, not a permanent fix, been a year and they're starting to get foggy again. Think I'm going to clear coat them this time
Old 06-19-2018
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Most "cheap" clear coats don't last very well either.

I seem to recall a spray can of 2K clear coat available on the market. I think eastwood carried it, but likely available through other sources. The can was about $20 US and once "opened" it had a shelf life of 48 hours, but it was a proper hard strong clear instead of soft spray can clear coat.

That is what I am using when I redo the headlamp housings on the wifes MDX.

found it on amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-19-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

so many products around for that that i do not even know which to recommend

clear coat afterwards helps.
Old 06-20-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

my aunts CRV:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1526663_609618235752111_1322387941_n.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	112332

i have been getting 4+ years out of using $5 clear lacquer spray paint from the hardware store. this is illinois, might be less somewhere like florida. krylon makes a clear with a UV blocker which i would expect to work good.

i just sand with 400 grit wet with a drop of dish soap, dry thouroughly, wipe with mineral spirits or similar, and spray on several coats of clear. i like to do a light misting followed by 3 wet coats. if you paint them on a humid day, the clear will have a white milky haze, so pick a non-humid day.
Old 11-09-2019
Registered!!

j1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
I use the meguiars kit and it works really well, not a permanent fix, been a year and they're starting to get foggy again. Think I'm going to clear coat them this time
+1 for meguiars