How should I remove Vasoline from my paint? - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

How should I remove Vasoline from my paint?

Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice
How should I remove Vasoline from my paint?

Some jerk wrote something offensive on the side of my car with Vasoline. Presumably the same person that scratched F*** U COPZ on my back bumper. I tried soapy water, and it just smeared. I am thinking I should use isopropyl alcohol, but I just want to make sure its safe for the paint before I try it. Im pretty sure it is, but I want to be certain before I do it. Besides stripping my wax, will isopropyl alcohol damage my paint? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: How should I remove Vasoline from my paint?

i know denatured alcohol will temporarily soften paint and will dull it if used with any pressure, not sure i'd try isopropyl.

i would simply use a good dish washing detergent, or laundry detergent as a second choice.
Old 04-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Colin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of light

rubbing alcohol is fine, buy some degreaser, brake clean? just get as much excess off as you can with a rag first
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice

Originally Posted by Colin42 View Post
rubbing alcohol is fine, buy some degreaser, brake clean? just get as much excess off as you can with a rag first
Brake cleaner contains acetone, which I know for a fact will damage paint.
Old 04-04-2018

Colin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of light

never had a problem with any of my cars
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42 View Post
never had a problem with any of my cars
I’ve seen brake cleaner damage paint several times. Maybe it depends on the brand?
Old 04-04-2018

Could be, if you don't want to use it then use some degreaser
Old 04-06-2018
Registered!!

UPDATE: I used isopropyl alcohol, and it removed the Vasoline without damaging the paint. It obviously stripped my wax too, so I had to re wax that area again, but not a big deal. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 04-08-2018
Moderator of Rice

mac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to all

...if you went to auto parts store and asked they should have given you detailing dewaxer degreaser.

Breakclean should absolutely never be used anywhere near paint. ...found that out first hand when our old boss told us to was a bmw and clean the rims. Naturally we used brakeclean. The clear coat melted off the rims in patches and the rest flaked off. The customer was none too pleased.

I wouldn't use solvents like alcohol either, taking into account that even the wrong type of soap, like dish soap, can remove wax, and over long periods damage clear coat from dehydration/oxidation.