Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Part 2: Exterior paint-detailing help - Critique!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
Part 2: Exterior paint-detailing help - Critique!

Monday finally looks like a go for my first major ext. detailing of my car I bought last fall. It might drizzle overnight tonight, but Monday should see a high temp. of 13celcius, 30% chance of rain, mainly cloudly - so not over heating or baking the wax in the sun. The rest of the week will be progressivly nicer to show off the work

*note: only have hubcaps, I don't care about my tires...
Steps:
1 Wash with dishsoap (degreaser), add some regular car soap for more suds; using a sponge

2 Meguiars Clay bar the entire car to remove any contaminants - is this necessary if I use the dish soap...note that I did a clay bar before the winter set in, BUT I live in Canada with salty roads and I live near an airport.

3 Touch up paint on some deeper scratches on the bumper.

4 Use Meguiars Scratch X on some of the light scratches around my car, following the directions and applying it a few times to work it in.

5 Use Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish/glaze - this is to bring back the paint and give it that 'wet look'? ... someone tell me how to use it! do I let it haze like wax. I read the back but it doesn't say how long to apply it for.

6 Wax the car - I won't use my random-orbital, but I don't have a P.C. so it's going to be by hand... I will apply a 2nd coat later this week.
Another thread suggested applying and removing the wax in straigh & back/fouth lines, not circular as I've been told - is this true?...

...the black trim at the bottom of the windsheild, where the wipers are, may be rubbed down with a compound (forget the name) but it brings it totally back to black, won't wear off, it's permant until the sun fades it again.
...I have a scratch on my headlight, not too concerned, but I may sometime fix those up.

How does that sound... it's going to be a long day, so if I can do without the clay bar I'd like to... but I'll do what I gotta do!

And just a question I thought of while I was sleeping...
After I wash the car, must I chamois* it dry, or can I just let it air dry, as I'm going to be applying the scratch x, polish and then wax.
Will my results be very different... will waterspots be an issue considering the steps i'm doing after the wash?

...I will clean the doorjambs and such regardless, i just mean the whole car.

Last edited by Honda01; 05-22-2006 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-22-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Just use regular car soap, the claying will take care of anything on the surface. Like I told you in the PM, dish soap will cause premature fading and clearcoat failure. Also make sure you wash it again after claying.

On the polish you just wipe it on with a foam applicator and wipe it off with a microfiber towel. Work it for about 10 seconds and wipe it off. All your doing is getting it in the pores in the paint.

With the drying, chamois it. Water spots are caused by chemicals on the water, people with harder water get more spots, and if you rub them around they have been known to cause etching. Plus you can get to work much faster.

Make sure the spots you touch up are totally dry and clean. If not, then the paint wont adhere properly. Build it up in thin layers waiting about 5 minutes inbetween, don't just blob it on or it will never totally dry.

What kind of wax do you plan on using?
Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
Not 100% on what wax I have.
I believe I have some NUFinish (one a year car wax blah bnlah blah) it sounds a little watery on the inside - it's supposed to be a soft paste.

I also have some RainDance - again, a soft paste, but I don't think it's watery.
Suggetions.

...I've washed and clayed the car - man the claying takes some time, but it's so worth it - pure sex I forgot how good it looks and FEELS!

Now I'm going to try and tackle this scratch x stuff... going to read the thread on it - see how long it has to sit for before wiping it clean.
Thanks man
Old 05-22-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
ScratchX doesnt have to sit at all. Its just an abrasive with polishing properties. If you don't work it, then it does nothing. Put about a quarter size drop on the applicator pad, work about a 1'x1' area in a circular motion for about 2 minutes. After that, wipe off the excess and see if you need to do it again. Its very tedious. Oh and that NuFinish is crap, don't use it. Never heard of RainDance.
Old 08-08-2012
Registered!!

BrettNewman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Part 2: Exterior paint-detailing help - Critique!

I also have some RainDance - again, a soft paste, but I don't think it's watery.