Car Covers... (yes? no? ur opinions) - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2004   #1  
The Rizing Sun

Akutenshi is on a distinguished road
Car Covers... (yes? no? ur opinions)

yO guys, duno if u guys seen me around here yet.. pretty new to the whole scene, just got a 2004 civic (nighthawk black pearl). n blah blah blah, yeah im a no0b n i kno it :P

anywayz, ive started parking on the street, since the garage is being taken up by my sister's car. been parking it on the street for about a month now.. and the damn thing gets DIRTY. i mean, d i r t y . like if ur in the car behind me, u can see the dirt/dust whatever on my bumper, trunk, roof, etc. i just washed it last week, n already its got like this.. (always does)

so i decided that id better go get a car cover.

i was wonderin if any of u guys use em, n where'd u get urs from? i was lookin at the one from Handa Accessories, but i dont really like blue, n id rather not have the car cover say "Civic" on top of it.

(btw, im not lazy to go search for car covers on the net, nor am i askin where to get em.. just wonderin what everyone else was usin around here)

-thanks
Akutenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004   #2  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
In a perfect world, it would be nice. But there are jealous people who will think you have something nice under there. So you may get damage to the car and theft even. I guess it depends on where you live. My car sits outside all the time. Just glaze/wax/wash it often enough and you'll be good.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004   #3  
The Rizing Sun

yeah man i agree, thats why i dont really want to get one.

but what other choice do i have... garage is out. washing my car by hand WEEKLY is just something i dont have time for. and driving it dirty, is just.. iono, but i aint a BUM!

hm.. i have no idea how to wax. n it seems like a **** load of trouble to do.. still thinkin about it tho
Old 07-17-2004   #4  
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well you better learn or the paint will get damaged over time from sun UV. After washing, go buy some 100% cotton cloths and a bottle of wax. I use KIT brand cause it lasts a LONG time (almost a year). Squirt some on the cloth and wipe it on the car in a back and forth motion--no circles! Do one section at a time. Let the wax dry, and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Now do the whole car like this. When you're done, it should be nice and smooth with water beading up on the paint.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #5  
The Rizing Sun

if i just bought my car like.. a month ago. do i need to wax it? shouldnt the dealer have done that for me?

n btw, nobody uses car covers or something? XD come on!
Old 07-19-2004   #6  
Registered!!

albs is an unknown quantity at this point
If you put a car cover on a dirty car, the car cover will grind the dirt into your paint and scratch it. This will happen especially when you are pulling the cover on or off. The dirt will just scour your paint. The scratches will really show on a black car. When my car was outside 24/7, it got really dirty. The thought of using a car cover never crossed my mind. I would rather have a dirty car than a scratched up clear coat.
You should keep some wax or sealant on your paint at all times. It may take a year or two for your clear coat to show oxidation, but why not prevent the process from starting?
albs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #7  
The Rizing Sun

lol of course i wouldnt be putting a car cover on a dirty car. come on -__= id wash it first, n then put the cover on to prevent it from getting dirty n stuff. i know this wouldnt keep off 100% of the dirt n stuff. but id protect it from ALOT of the crap that gets on it day to day
Old 07-19-2004   #8  
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
car covers are a tad... annoying. I personally wouldn't use one for the mere annoyance of having to cover and uncover the car every time i want to use it. a better option for you would be one of those portable garage/tent sort of things...

and btw - black is the absolute worst colour for keeping clean. it shows everything.

finally, waxing it is your perogative. if you have time and effort do it all you want. if not, try to wax at least 2x yearly.
brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #9  
Premium Member

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
i need a car cover !!
Mr.Modify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #10  
The Rizing Sun

yeah, the car hasnt been waxed yet. i really need to go n do that. but i have NO clue how to do it (yes ive read the full auto detailing DIY).

n yeah tell me about it. why did i have to choose black! but damn, when my baby is all sparkling clean n ****, it looks so great.

n about the process of putting on and taking off a car cover. its a pain in the ***, especially if u lock it onto ur car. but im willing to spend 2 minutes of my time everyday just so that i dont have to keep washing the damn thing every 3-4 days.

---

Mr.Modify, u gona get one? haha let me know if u do. XD theyre pretty $$ tho, like 100 bucks right?
Old 07-19-2004   #11  
Registered!!

albs is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinksOy
lol of course i wouldnt be putting a car cover on a dirty car. come on -__= id wash it first, n then put the cover on to prevent it from getting dirty n stuff. i know this wouldnt keep off 100% of the dirt n stuff. but id protect it from ALOT of the crap that gets on it day to day
It's the 1% of the dirt and dust that would be there after driving it even once that I would be worrried about. Car covers are fairly heavy. Pulling it on and off will drag any dirt there may be on your paint. If you don't care about scratches, swirls, and spiderwebbing, go ahead and use the car cover. The car cover will help keep your car cleaner if that's your main goal.

I agree with Brill. Those canopy/tent things are a better option. Waxing 2x a year is a good minimum.
albs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #12  
The Rizing Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by albs
It's the 1% of the dirt and dust that would be there after driving it even once that I would be worrried about. Car covers are fairly heavy. Pulling it on and off will drag any dirt there may be on your paint. If you don't care about scratches, swirls, and spiderwebbing, go ahead and use the car cover. The car cover will help keep your car cleaner if that's your main goal.

I agree with Brill. Those canopy/tent things are a better option. Waxing 2x a year is a good minimum.

yeah u bring up a good point too. the dirt from the driving is there also. but hey, what other choice do i have man? the damn thing gets so dirty, a car cover is logical no?

anyways, what canopy/tent things are u guys talkin about? maybe a link would be good too, cuz im not shure about what u guys are refering to
Old 07-19-2004   #13  
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
here's a link - this one is technically called a tarp utility shed and its probably a POS, but it looks like what I'm referring to -- just smaller.

something like this - this is a crappy one

around my home town they are quite popular, but most have to be taken down in the winter cause they'll collapse under the weight of the snow.

Last edited by brill; 07-19-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2004   #14  
The Rizing Sun

lmao, ****. i live in the inner residential area of my city. i dont think i could just pull up, build one of those on the street n park my car in it. hahah

that would be funny tho. i wish i could use something like that, it would help too
Old 07-19-2004   #15  
Registered!!

ok well....

Quote:
ive started parking on the street, since the garage is being taken up by my sister's car.
your solution is obvious... time for your sister to be removed from the garage.
Old 07-19-2004   #16  
The Rizing Sun

haha, i alrdy tried that. she cut my bangs off. -__=

anywayz... i duno what i can do. car covers just suck now more than ever after reading all ur comments (thanks btw). plus theyre pretty damn xpensive. the only thing i can do now is just wash it, whenever it needs, if i got time or not.
Old 07-20-2004   #17  
Registered!!

so cut her hair off?
its just that easy.

find a touchless carwash in your town... they are everywhere and just spray water, none of those crappy brushes... run thru it then go for a 5 minute run down the freeway to get all of the water dried up... thats what i do since i've not had time to detail my car weekly as i used to.
Old 07-20-2004   #18  
The Rizing Sun

lol. that leaves water dry lines n stains or whatever u call em :P
Old 07-20-2004   #19  
Registered!!

Quote:
lol. that leaves water dry lines n stains or whatever u call em :P
yep but better than having a completely dirty car when you don't have time to keep her spotless.
Old 07-21-2004   #20  
Registered!!

xamracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Covers are for cars that are garage queens. Its great to put on a car thats not gonna be used for awhile but only after its been cleaned. No matter what your cars gonna get dirty especailly black. Just wash it often and work on kicking your sis out of the garage. I have to park outside too and i have a dark blue car so dirt shows up just as well. A weekly 20 min wash isnt that hard and pick up the mr. clean auto dry it works great and will save u some drying time.
xamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004   #21  
The Rizing Sun

yeah ive been postin in the other thread about car washes n stuff. thinkin about an auto dry, but im gona try a waterblade + absorber combo before i get that. its cheaper.

n about the 20 min a week wash, that doesnt sound bad, but it takes me forever to dry my damn car. always has lines n smudges n stuff when i use the chamee (POS!)

i guess a car cover is too extravagant for the purpose i need. n not alll that practical
Old 07-21-2004   #22  
Registered!!

it takes forever to dry your car because you're probably not too savvy with it yet and you're worrying about the details too much
Old 07-21-2004   #23  
The Rizing Sun

haha that is tru. so what if i want it to look nice
Old 07-21-2004   #24  
Registered!!

Quote:
haha that is tru. so what if i want it to look nice
i used to be like you -- couldn't stand a single water drop on my blue paint. i'd clean for hours only to have it rain on my ride a week later.

then... i decided its not worthwhile, i can live with water drops now... there is just too much bad weather in this area to constantly worry about it.

here's the most recent picture of my oh-so-clean ride :P

Old 07-21-2004   #25  
pho
Registered!!

pho is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of car does your sister drive? If it's an old beater ask her to park outside. Your car is brand new it deserve to be park inside. lol.
No matter how new your car is...it's gonna get dirty, have scratches and door dings from other drivers/shopping carts. Just wash it every week and watch out for little kids playing street hockey. lol
pho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004   #26  
The Rizing Sun

she drives a 2002 4 runner. n shes NOT moving at all. -___=

i think i might wash it today with my gf.. make her wear a bikini n use LOTS of soapy bubbles. heh heh heh
Old 07-22-2004   #27  
Welcome To Prime Time, BITCH!

GrayGhost is on a distinguished road
I use a car cover while my car is parked in my garage. My cat likes to sleep on the car and his jumping onto it scratches the car. So I got the cover to help against that.
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #28  
The Rizing Sun

haha. u make ur cat sleep in the garage? thats cold man
Old 07-25-2004   #29  
Welcome To Prime Time, BITCH!

GrayGhost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkSoy
haha. u make ur cat sleep in the garage? thats cold man

Its an outdoor cat. He sleeps inside the garage at night.
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote