SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

d17a2 swap to JDM d17a2

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puccillo is an unknown quantity at this point
Post d17a2 swap to JDM d17a2

so my d17a2 had a rare instance of crank walk from an aftermarket stage 3 clutch problem, thats what my mechanic told me. I ordered a new JDM engine from NYC, I live in upstate NY (near Canada). So I'm wondering if this is the same engine will it have all the emissions sensors and what exactly do I need to swap from my old engine to new one? It says on website that it comes with all accessories bolted to engine. I am hoping the engine doesn't need all sensors replaced. will everything for good as I'm not very experienced in this form of mechanics as I usually only do my suspension and basic work myself. The mechanic is the one doing the swap. any info would be appreciated.. thanks (:
Old 01-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: d17a2 swap to JDM d17a2

?!? why do you need a stage 3 clutch?
only heavily turboed needs them. I did the mistake of a stage 2 and thinking on going back
Old 01-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You're only buying a block and head to replace the damaged ones in your car.

If anything else comes with it and matches your old engine that's a plus but if not then stuff will need to be swapped to make the new unit function exactly the same as the original unit.
Old 01-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puccillo is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not put the stage 3 clutch in, bought the car a month ago was like that when I bought it. I am also putting a new clutch in from autozone, not stage 3. I just wanted to know basically if the JDM ones come with any of the sensors at all .
Old 01-15-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

This post may help: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-vtec-3215834/
Reply #10 is somewhat related: USDM D17a2 to JDM D17a.
Reply #4 is good advice. At minimum replace the timing belt while the engine is out. Consider replacing the rear main seal as well. It's debated whether or not JDM engine have 40k-70k miles (as listed by JDM sellers) or have much higher mileage. Seems no one really knows.

Try to avoid what happened to the guy in post #14. Unfortunately, he hired the very shade turd he was trying to avoid...lol.

Here's what Googs comes up with: https://www.google.com/search?num=50....0.XVH15JGsz6k

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-15-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You know every one of your sensors is working, why risk any issues with sensors from the unknown engine.
Most JDM engines have automatic TB, so you should swap yours over.. again you know it’s working.

Very possible engine has been sitting on a pallet for last 10 years, once it’s running again expect every seal to leak.
Old 01-15-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

is it actually a D17A2? Or is it a D17A? Any time I hear someone mention "JDM" when it comes to the 7thgen, they're talking about the latter. I'm just asking because Mr. Dong's link (speculating here, too lazy to click on link) refers to the differences between the -A2 and the -A.