Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

the D17 does not suck

Old 09-18-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: the D17 does not suck

Every time I see this thread when I search for new posts, the only thing that pops in my head is, "yea.. yea it kinda does suck.."

/threadjack. Back to what you guys were talking about.. lol
Old 09-19-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

well you know what rice if you want to give me a k i'll take it back but untill then i'm firmly in denial, lol XD
Old 09-19-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to terms with the fact the d17 kinda sucks, and as much as I'd like a k, I really can't afford it. lol

No doubt my car is still a fun little drive though.
Old 09-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shwoogie420 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea the d kinda sux if the motor is stock...i made 282 on a bone stock d17 well i had a stage 3 cam but nothing else....when you build it you can make 450-500 no problem...granted you can do all of that on a stock k-series but its about the same price for the swap or building the d... and with the d17 at least you have the motor that belongs in that car
Old 09-19-2010

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

really you only switched the cam? i'm guessung the cam gear as well. did you have it tuned or just stock oem computer? and you said had, did it blow up on you or something?
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
really you only switched the cam? i'm guessung the cam gear as well. did you have it tuned or just stock oem computer? and you said had, did it blow up on you or something?
yea only the cam....k-pro comes with an aem adjustable cam ger so yes the gear too.....it popped at 20psi...had the wrong spark plugs...thought they were 3 ranges colder than they were...whoops
Old 09-20-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

but untill then i'm firmly in denial, lol XD

good one!
Old 09-20-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shwoogie420
yea only the cam....k-pro comes with an aem adjustable cam ger so yes the gear too.....it popped at 20psi...had the wrong spark plugs...thought they were 3 ranges colder than they were...whoops
actually, if maintenance is done well, another good thing on the D17 is longevity... Have been trying to blow it so i can get a K-swap, but no luck so far... 94k, could get up to 500k easily...
Old 09-21-2010

~shwoogie420, did you just put the stock cam back in or was the car done? i want to do my cam with the stage two, but don't want to drop the money for a part that will blow and doesn't that cam have a one year woranty?

~sdaidoji if yu want to blow it drop in an ebay turbo cranked, lol
Old 09-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

~sdaidoji if yu want to blow it drop in an ebay turbo cranked, lol

no, turbos require too much maintenance!
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

you went 20 psi on a stock bottom end?
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

I call bull ****...
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

^ x2 and there is no reason to run 3 steps colder plugs for that low amount of power.
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bomerman19
you went 20 psi on a stock bottom end?
sorry it wasnt 20psi it was 19psi
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by baron340
I call bull ****...
i have datalogs to prove it(19psi not 20psi..)...however they dont prove what motor was in the car when they were done in so no point sorry if you dont belive me....

Last edited by shwoogie420; 09-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

[QUOTE=mac25;4489762]~shwoogie420, did you just put the stock cam back in or was the car done? i want to do my cam with the stage two, but don't want to drop the money for a part that will blow and doesn't that cam have a one year woranty?

cam was fine...i just took it out of the blown motor and put it in the motor i have in the car now.....i dont know about the warrenty. ive had this one for about 2 years and no problems
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

still 19 is bs the stock rod bolts stretch at 12psi and head studs stretch at 7 psi.

could you do it yeah sure a couple times down the drag strip and then blow it sky high but 19 or 20 psi on stock bottom end on the street it won't hold. it will go and it will go really really fast you would pretty much get one run down the street in it maybe two and boom
Old 09-22-2010
Registered!!

tjg312 is an unknown quantity at this point

eh... if you build anything and slap a turbo on it it'll be quick, I just can't really justify spending the money to boost my d17 when I can spend a bit more and get a k, which would be way more reliable imo.

not knocking your work though, just not something i'd do. there's this guy around here who also has a boosted d17 that's pretty damn fast and beat an STi. not sure what was done to the sti though, but i know its not all stock
Old 09-22-2010
Registered!!

still 19 is bs the stock rod bolts stretch at 12psi and head studs stretch at 7 psi.

could you do it yeah sure a couple times down the drag strip and then blow it sky high but 19 or 20 psi on stock bottom end on the street it won't hold. it will go and it will go really really fast you would pretty much get one run down the street in it maybe two and boom
i have arp studs and cometic head gasket... and once again i drove it around for monthes like that...raced a couple people at 17 and then turned it up to 19...there is a video of me raving an e92 m3 and i was at 17.5......i got another good one for you which you are going to prob say bullshit on but i am still using the stock plastic intake manifold... in my current setup to and i have been around 21-22psi....everywhere i read online they say 8-10psi so thats bs...
Old 09-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tjg312
eh... if you build anything and slap a turbo on it it'll be quick, I just can't really justify spending the money to boost my d17 when I can spend a bit more and get a k, which would be way more reliable imo.

not knocking your work though, just not something i'd do. there's this guy around here who also has a boosted d17 that's pretty damn fast and beat an STi. not sure what was done to the sti though, but i know its not all stock
how is putting a motor in the car that doesnt belong in the car more reliable?? if you have a built motor then it is almost bullet proof as long as you got a good tune....not talking **** just my thoughts...where you from??
Old 09-22-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

how is putting a motor in the car that doesnt belong in the car more reliable?? if you have a built motor then it is almost bullet proof as long as you got a good tune....
decades of swapping engines techniques, i would say. The K are reliable and stronger than the D17, afraid to say.
Everything will come down to how much work and care the engine saw, and get lucky to get a engine that have better tolerances than others (production lines, anything can happen, some of them could have a few ponies more than others and they could last much longer also - just the luck of the draw, i guess! )
Old 09-22-2010
Registered!!

the stock plastic manifold can handle whatever you throw at it. it is a stupid myth that it can only hold low boost they can hold well beyond 30lbs of boost.

cometic gasket does absolutely nothing and you probably got ripped cause they are usually about $90. the point of a cometic gasket is for the people that have sleeved and bored out beyond the reaches of the stock gasket.

ARP head studs will get you above 7 lbs of boost but the stock rods will not handle 19 or 20lbs.

like I said before the stock rod bolts are only good to 12 psi and then they start stretching. which will lead to knock or straight rod destruction you go higher than 12 on stock rod bolts and they will go beyond just stretching and start snapping. and the stock rods well all we know is they hold 15 lbs for very limited use but that is about it. any higher and you are looking at snapping them like toothpicks.

so I am still calling bs because I know what the stock rod bolts can hold and it is not 20 or 19 or even 17 psi.

and were are these datalogs and videos you are talking about?

and there were plans to produce the k in the 7thgen during the prototype stages so technically you can say that the k does belong. and it is pretty much the same chassis as the RSX and the EP3 when you get all the way down to the frame.

a modified motor will give you more trouble then a stock un-touched motor. but you can make anything reliable if you do it up right.

the main thing is cheap, reliable, and fast you can only pick two
Old 09-22-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

i have arp studs and cometic head gasket... and once again i drove it around for monthes like that...raced a couple people at 17 and then turned it up to 19...there is a video of me raving an e92 m3 and i was at 17.5......i got another good one for you which you are going to prob say bullshit on but i am still using the stock plastic intake manifold... in my current setup to and i have been around 21-22psi....everywhere i read online they say 8-10psi so thats bs...
and please, stop including the word "racing against" ... for your own sake, i mean... does not help you any when you do that...
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

the stock plastic manifold can handle whatever you throw at it. it is a stupid myth that it can only hold low boost they can hold well beyond 30lbs of boost.

cometic gasket does absolutely nothing and you probably got ripped cause they are usually about $90. the point of a cometic gasket is for the people that have sleeved and bored out beyond the reaches of the stock gasket.

ARP head studs will get you above 7 lbs of boost but the stock rods will not handle 19 or 20lbs.

like I said before the stock rod bolts are only good to 12 psi and then they start stretching. which will lead to knock or straight rod destruction you go higher than 12 on stock rod bolts and they will go beyond just stretching and start snapping. and the stock rods well all we know is they hold 15 lbs for very limited use but that is about it. any higher and you are looking at snapping them like toothpicks.

so I am still calling bs because I know what the stock rod bolts can hold and it is not 20 or 19 or even 17 psi.

and were are these datalogs and videos you are talking about?

and there were plans to produce the k in the 7thgen during the prototype stages so technically you can say that the k does belong. and it is pretty much the same chassis as the RSX and the EP3 when you get all the way down to the frame.

a modified motor will give you more trouble then a stock un-touched motor. but you can make anything reliable if you do it up right.

the main thing is cheap, reliable, and fast you can only pick two
yea i know the chassis are the same...all i meant was that honda didnt put that motor in they put in the d so therefore it didnt come stock...thats all im saying... go to my utube channel and check out some of the videos...they range from 13psi-17or18psi i think...i will pm you the datalogs if you really want but im not posting that up here.....and yes my rod snapped like a tooth pick at 19psi im not arguing that...all im saying is i beat it for a while before that happened...btw i only paid $75 for the headgasket
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
and please, stop including the word "racing against" ... for your own sake, i mean... does not help you any when you do that...
ok well the video is of me racing an e92...what else am i suppose to call it...competive driving is that better for you...come on
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

...go to my utube channel and check out some of the videos...
More evidence for the cops when you get caught street racing...just sayin.
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future

its a pissing contest.
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

WatumboJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Give it time Paul, metallurgy will bite his *** in the end.
Old 09-23-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

After watching this thread, I feel a little less bad about my d17a1. how hard would it be to build up the a1 to an a2? at the very least, just vtec?
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WatumboJimmy
Give it time Paul, metallurgy will bite his *** in the end.
LoL

I pay $20 for my head gasket and why didn't you just say you snapped a rod at that much psi that's actually believable

and it is really not hard to build up the d17 just if you want pistons and rods it is going to cost money though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the D17 does not suck