Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

2002 Immobilizer - bypass - remove

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarStuff is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Immobilizer - bypass - remove

2002 EX - 180,000 miles threw rod / replaced engine block and used same wiring harness and sensors (all electrical the same).

Battery was out of the car 3 weeks / tried to start and got immobilizer light flash with fuel pump lockout. Grounded the positive and negative battery cables for 20 min (hard reset) engine fired purred like a kitten - started several times - drove a couple miles - it pulled smooth and strong. After returning and shutting down will not restart and immobilizer light has returned. I put a brand new fully charged Honda brand battery in - same result. Grounding the battery cables is not clearing and still getting a immobilizer light - sometimes the immobilizer will "clear" but only the light - still functioning and locking out the fuel pump (no gas smell at all at the tail pipe) then the immobilizer light will start flashing again.

Several Civic Owners have noted the "low voltage" problems caused by old battery and it impacting the immobilizer programming. (Honda dealer denies this.) This could have happened, scrambling some of the programming. I could also have a failing immobilizer and will go through factory manual resistance check to verify it's status.

I would really like to simply remove or bypass the immobilizer and simply rely upon the key cut to provide security. This is 14 year old car - heading toward the 200,000 mile mark - it does not need much protection a simple key is enough.

I know from the factory shop and electrical troubleshooting manual that on the 2002 Civic EX, the immobilizer works by interrupting the fuel pump relay ground - interrupt the ground and the relay shuts down turning off the fuel pump. There must therefore be a second relay in the ground itself, to do this interruption. There should be a way to bypass this ground interruption and simply ground the fuel pump relay directly - or cut the ground to the "ground interruption relay" thus disabling the 2nd relay's ability take out the fuel pump relay ground? Any experience with doing this or something similar?

And no I don't care about flashing interrupter lights - if the car runs. I will just cover them with a "happy face" sticker.

Theoretically, this could also disable the engine shut down if the cam sensor and crank sensor became uncoordinated - causing engine damage. I don't care if it did - brand new timing belt etc. I simply don't need that protection. Besides by the time the engine shuts down the engine is usually damaged anyway.

As this car ages, even more the immobilizer system will continue to be a pain - with no real purpose. I would prefer not to replace it and pay for it to be towed and then reprogrammed just to fight immobilizer problems again on a car that has less value than the sum of a tow/ an immobilizer / and a dealer flash of the programming.

Any Help? Anyone with actual experience doing this.

Leaving these old Civics tethered to the Honda Mother Ship - really does result in their premature death. My "local" dealer has a lovely lobby - television viewing area - free coffee and cookies area - ceramic tiled floors in the drive in shop area - it is really pretty and "upscale" and has no interest in supporting older Honda's.

Last edited by CarStuff; 04-23-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2018
Registered!!

varela423 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 Immobilizer - bypass - remove

Were you able to figure this out? My car is a 2002 Civic EX and the security system keeps cutting off access. This was a prior issue that seemed to be resolved after some time and messing around with the locks. I even changed the battery in the FOB as recommended. The battery, started and alternator all checked out fine, but I can't start the car.
Old 10-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

is the key programmed to the ecu?,
the immobilizer cuts fuel, if you're good with automotive electrical I'm sure you could figure out a way around that
Old 10-01-2020
Registered!!

OutlawWoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
is the key programmed to the ecu?,
the immobilizer cuts fuel, if you're good with automotive electrical I'm sure you could figure out a way around that

Were u able to help with 02 honda no start no fuel pressure no spark turns over no crank.
we have 02. Should it have the green key light? If so its not there.
Old 10-02-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The green key light should flash for a bit after the ignition is turned on but then should go off. If it's flashing the immobilizer is disabling fuel/ignition.
Old 12-06-2020
Registered!!

Martin Frady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
The green key light should flash for a bit after the ignition is turned on but then should go off. If it's flashing the immobilizer is disabling fuel/ignition.

so I’m having the same issue except I have no green key light. It came on since I bought the car and I got in it this morning and no green light. I hear the fuel pump and all normal cut one trying to start the car but it will not fire up. I have checked all fuses and relays everything seems good. I need help
Old 12-06-2020
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

check dash bulbs. need remove dash