Idle Issues If you have idle issues, post here!

01 civic ex stalls while driving or idling too long (traffic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helixlail is an unknown quantity at this point
01 civic ex stalls while driving or idling too long (traffic)

Finally signed up here. Ok so 2001 civic ex sedan manual trans 167k. While driving sometimes I'll notice the car not accelerating while in gear then I drop it in neutral and the rpm gauge slowly drops till it hits the bottom and the car stalls. I can usually re crank it no probs immediately after. Sometimes when I recrank the engine seems to run very very rough and will not rev past say 3k rpm. If it wont crank up I'll let it sit and it will 5-10 mins later sometimes I've taken the negative cable off for 10 mins and it resets but then again I've had it stall multiple times after starting to drive again. The only conditions I can link are it is hot outside and I've been driving 20+mins or sitting in traffic 5-10 mins. Sometimes I can drive 45 mins while its hot and it's fine. I've done alot of work to this car and it's frustrating to still have an issue. Only check engine code is p0420 for the cat (replacing next month). I have a list of things I've done to the car along with at what miles it was at when serviced. Ask any questions you need will provide answer and mileage. Thanks in advance for your help. BCL
Old 07-16-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 01 civic ex stalls while driving or idling too long (traffic)

clogged cat is potentially a factor.
try farting while someone plugs your exhaust...
Old 07-16-2019
Registered!!

Yeah I've heard a clogging cat can cause a few different issues. From blowing the head gasket at 153k and all the oil it used to leak I'd say it had enough antifreeze and oil get in the to ruin it. Farting what now? Lol thanks BCL
Old 07-16-2019
Registered!!

Could back pressure from a clogged cat cause the spark plugs to lossen up over the course of a few weeks. That's the only thing I can think off. I've of course replaced them and torqued them while the engine was cool. But once when it stalled i noticed they had come loose about 3/4 of a turn each less on some most was the 3/4 one. Thanks BCL