Idle Issues If you have idle issues, post here!

2005 Civic Hybrid -- surging / hunting idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave88LX is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic Hybrid -- surging / hunting idle issues

I had a mild hunting idle, but enough to throw a P0507 code: Idle Control System RPM Higher Than Expected. Couldn't figure it out. Took it to the dealer, they said "cracked intake manifold -- $900 repair". I said "Here's your $125 diagnostic fee, thanks but no thanks" essentially. I asked how they determined the manifold was cracked. They said they sprayed carb cleaner around the throttle body, and RPMs increased. They didn't physically see a crack.

I pulled off the throttle body and cleaned that. The gasket looked to be in pretty rough shape so I cleaned up the two mating surfaces, and installed a new gasket.

The idle is now surging, but differently. Video included.

I've tried searching the various ways to do an idle relearn, but can't seem to get any of them to work.

Any ideas? I'm ready to push it off a cliff.I don't want to spend $200+ on an IAC motor if it's just guessing either.

Thanks!

Any ideas or things to try?

EDIT: I just noticed there is an entire subforum for "Idle Issues", I'll start reading in there too.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 06-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2019
Registered!!

Re: 2005 Civic Hybrid -- surging / hunting idle issues

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4736208

Originally Posted by ezone
Reach into the throttle body and plug the open port with your fingertip. Does that bring the idle down to normal RPM or below?

If so, IAC is probably stuck open.
If not, then look for vacuum leaks.

Going to try this.
Old 06-09-2019
Registered!!

Are we thinking IAC is stuck open?

Kinda contradicts a different post I read...or I could be misunderstanding.

Completely cover the throttle body opening and it should die, if not there is a large vacuum leak.
If so cover the throttle body opening again, disconnect a vacuum line to the intake manifold and use a smoke machine to check for leaks.
You can make the smoker, there are diys on YouTube, or you can vape/smoke into the vac line.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 06-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

First verify if there is a vacuum leak.

We do this by starting the engine and covering throttle body opening. If it dies there is no vacuum leak. If it stays running there is a vacuum leak.

-if there is a leak, locate it and repair. (Can test with smoke machine as mentioned above)

-if there is no leak look inside the throttle body opening, find the IAC valve bypass port and block it. What are your results?
After this try unplugging the IACV and starting the car, what are your results?
Old 06-14-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
First verify if there is a vacuum leak.

We do this by starting the engine and covering throttle body opening. If it dies there is no vacuum leak. If it stays running there is a vacuum leak.

-if there is a leak, locate it and repair. (Can test with smoke machine as mentioned above)

-if there is no leak look inside the throttle body opening, find the IAC valve bypass port and block it. What are your results?
After this try unplugging the IACV and starting the car, what are your results?
Hey mac25 -- not sure if the videos are showing up, but I actually posted videos of both of these things.

When I cover the throttle body opening, the car dies.
When I cover the IAC port inside the throttle body, the car dies.

I will try unplugging the IACV and starting the car, and see what happens. What should I look for, depending on the result?
Old 06-14-2019
Registered!!

OK I unplugged IACV and started the car. It runs the same as before:
Idles normally until the fans kick on, and then once the fans kick on and it warms up, it starts the hunting/surging idle.
Old 06-23-2019
Registered!!

Anyone have ideas on what to do next?
Old 06-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

To be clear,

Did you replicate the dealership test, when your car is warm and acting up, spray carb cleaner in small shots at various places all along the intake manifold and pay attention for any sudden rise in idle?

One thing side effect of that test can also be that it suddenly “cools” down a sensor that was acting up when warm so it may “appear” to be a air leak but in fact a bad temp / pressure sensor on the intake.

Now would be a good time to buy/ borrow a live data reader and see what is being reported to the ECU.
Old 06-25-2019
Registered!!

I did try but couldn't replicate the issue.

The dealer stated that they sprayed carb cleaner near the base of the throttle body, and deduced that the intake manifold was cracked.

After removing the TB, I think the gasket and corrosion might have had something to do with it. I cleaned it all up and got a new gasket.

Can't replicate the problem with carb cleaner anywhere on the intake manifold, or hoses etc.