Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

New to forum! Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05ex1.7 is an unknown quantity at this point
New to forum! Need some help

Hello all my name is mike just decided to join. Recently purchased a 2005 Honda civic ex 1.7 vtec. Bought it drove it home and it started overheating. And its probably overheated 30 times since. I am new to these gen hondas so no at the time i didnt know about the FAMOUS overheating problem they have. I found out the hard way. I quickly investigated and decided to replace thermostat fresh coolant bled it several times from the temp sensor area. It would always seem to keep blowing coolant out of the resevoir. Being i found out more than likely it was headgasket and i had bubbles coming up i went ahead and took the cylinder head off. Upon inspection it looked pretty chewed up. Soo. Next step i took was checked it for warpage. It was so it is currently at machine shop getting rebuilt and decked. I went ahead and ordered the entire headgasket kit from majestic honda which is everything from headgasket and up. Also timing belt kit with tensioner and waterpump from honda. So my problem is i decided to check my engine block deck surface and sure enough its warped i can slide .008 feeler guage in between straight edge. Soo. This engine ran fantastic no problems or noises just kept overheating it has 175,000 miles. Obviously motor has to come out to either A: machine it and rebuild it. B: buy used jdm engine off ebay and hope it will serve me well. C: i found a short block assembly on ebay it appears to have everything except oil pan and head. But my issue with that is the part numbers. I cant make out the last few letters or numbers it says but i currently have the D17A2. And this one is a D17Z something. I cannot find any information on what the difference is so im hoping someone can help me out here. I think i would rather go with option C because ive already got all the parts and my head is brand new rebuilt. But i dont want to pull the trigger on a motor that is not going to work for me. Please let me know you guys opinions and input i greatly appreciate it. I have some pictures of the engine on ebay it says D17Z
Old 05-28-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: New to forum! Need some help

Can you not find a none JDM engine?

If it is just the block then it should not be an issue.
Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I don't remember ever reading about a block needing to be planed to solve the leaking head gasket issue on these engines - bummer.
Old 05-29-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The service limit for block warpage is .004" so yeah it needs planed. The last time I took a block to a machine shop they told be they could take off .010" before getting into issues with compression, clearances, timing, etc. That was on a V6 J series engine though. They were going to charge be $200 (again, V6 so twice as much work) until they ended up ruining my block.
Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

Found out some more info it is the D17Z4 SHORT BLOCK i dont see any difference except for the pistons... i really wish i could find out if this would work with a d17a2 head

Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

Here is my engine notice the difference in piston numbers and dome dish this is the D17A2

Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

Sure i could get a jdm engine ready to go but i already have my cylinder head rebuilt and ready