Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

car overheating but coolant is full?

Old 10-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ThatD_17 is an unknown quantity at this point
car overheating but coolant is full?

Hey I noticed my coolant was below the minimum line in the reservoir so I bought some coolant and filled it. I am not sure why it was low as I have not found any leaks. Moreover after driving it with the new coolant I checked the reservoir and it still had plenty coolant in it, BUT when I was driving it for that short amount of time even with the coolant still full my car still was overheating. Why would it be overheating if the fan works and the coolant is still full? (I am not as worries about why it was low in the first place right now so much as I am with why it is overheating). Thanks for any input!
Old 10-07-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: car overheating but coolant is full?

blown headgasket pushing coolant into the bottle?

go read this

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 10-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ThatD_17
Why would it be overheating if the fan works and the coolant is still full?
because the coolant level in the rad is probably low,

your head gasket is most likely blown
Old 10-08-2016
Registered!!

yea from the symptoms and research and other answers Ive got that seems the only logical answer. Before I take it apart is there a good way to test if the gasket is blown, besides the fact that Im overheating? I know check the coolant and oil levels and watch the engine temp. and Ive read to watch for white smoke out the exhaust, but anything else? thanks
Old 10-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

is there a good way to test if the gasket is blown
Answer is in the thread linked in reply #2
Old 10-08-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Guys even with a blown head gasket consuming fluid it would not overheat if the fluid is on full.

There may be a blown head gasket as well, but I would hedge on a faulty thermostat.

Because if the fans are running and the rad is full and there is still an overheating issue then there most be a flow issue.

If the thermostat is no longer functioning then the fluid sits static and will not cool the engine.

When it overheats grab the top rad hose and feel how hot it is, then grab the lower hose. If the hoses are different temperatures the thermostat needs to be replaced.
Old 10-09-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mac25
Guys even with a blown head gasket consuming fluid it would not overheat if the fluid is on full.
OP only said the overflow level was full......

Moreover after driving it with the new coolant I checked the reservoir and it still had plenty coolant in it
it is still possible the level in the rad could be low, this is often the case with a blown head gasket
Old 10-09-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mac25
When it overheats grab the top rad hose and feel how hot it is, then grab the lower hose. If the hoses are different temperatures the thermostat needs to be replaced.
I can drive my car for 1/2 hour and have the upper hot and lower cold.
Old 10-09-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99
I can drive my car for 1/2 hour and have the upper hot and lower cold.
But that's not while your car is overheating.
Old 10-09-2016

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

oh yeah... good point.
Old 10-11-2016
Registered!!

01 ex overheating, running out of ideas

Alright, so my car started overheating, temp gauge on dash reaches red within a mile of driving. Steam from radiator, possible leak but cannot find. Replaced water pump, thermostat and tstat gasket, checked radiator and lower hose for clogging by shooting water through it and the hose(after taking it completely off and visually inspecting inside of hose as well as running water through it) with garden hose on jet setting. No clogs noticeable. High hose much, much hotter then lower hose, but I have read that is not an issue. bypassed the heater core but nothing changed, drove without the thermostat but nothing changed. I know people are going to go straight to blown head gasket or cracked head but I do not think that is the problem. I think there may be a leak somewhere but no idea where, any ideas or experiance of leaks in odd places or hard to get to places? Also with the head gasket in mind, where could leaks or clogs be in the engine, concerning coolant? I need some suggestions, if anyone has any experience in dealing with something like this before your suggestions are neededdddddd!! Thank you!

Update: i think the thermostat may be getting stuck closed, but cannot quite come up with a reason for it doing so...anybody have a say on this? Remember I have pretty much testes everything else (except the extreme like head gasket).

Last edited by ThatD_17; 10-11-2016 at 09:27 PM. Reason: needed to add something
Old 10-11-2016

Re: 01 ex overheating, running out of ideas

Read the link posted in your other thread.

Will merge this thread with that thread in a minute...
Old 10-11-2016
Registered!!

Re: 01 ex overheating, running out of ideas

Originally Posted by ezone
Read the link posted in your other thread.

Will merge this thread with that thread in a minute...
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2016
Registered!!

Well so contrary to what I said before about being no change when driving without thermostat, I drove a real distance today and its running great, no overheating... i guess last night the spilled coolant was just burning off and i mistaked it for steam and overheating. But now that I am running without the tstat, that means something is causing it to not open correct? I replaced it with a new failsafe from autozone rated to open at 170F. But still was overheating, and I just cannot seem to get a straight answer from any online info sites or articles in google, so I am wondering if anybody knows why the thermostat would be kept from opening. Thanks
Old 10-12-2016

What exactly do you see/hear/smell/taste/etc. that makes you say it's overheating?
Old 10-12-2016
Registered!!

What exactly do you see/hear/smell/taste/etc. that makes you say it's overheating?
See temp gauge shoot up to red, steam from under hood, coolant is released from somewhere somehow all i know is there is coolant outside of radiator and engine when i stop the car to look at. Also I do not know what this means but the upper hose is extremely hot and lower I can grab with my hand right after stopping the car, but I think thats supposed to be like that since hot water from engine goes through upper.
Old 10-13-2016
Registered!!

coolant is released from somewhere somehow all i know is there is coolant outside of radiator and engine when i stop the car to look at.
the coolant is probably coming from your overflow bottle, is it full right up to the top?.....this is pretty much a sure indication of head gasket failure
Old 10-13-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
the coolant is probably coming from your overflow bottle, is it full right up to the top?.....this is pretty much a sure indication of head gasket failure
Just to make sure your talking about the white reservoir correct? That never stays full. I'll fill it up then take a short drive to the gas station and back and by the time I stop car it's dry to the bone.
Old 10-13-2016
Registered!!

Just to make sure your talking about the white reservoir correct? That never stays full. I'll fill it up then take a short drive to the gas station and back and by the time I stop car it's dry to the bone.
then you need to find the source of your leak
Old 10-13-2016

I'll fill it up then take a short drive to the gas station and back and by the time I stop car it's dry to the bone.
So....it disappears somewhere......where is that liquid going?
Old 10-13-2016
Registered!!

So....it disappears somewhere......where is that liquid going?
That's what I'm tryna figure out, do you guys have any suggestions of places that it could be leaking from that aren't obvious, cause I've already checked those... if ya get what I'm saying...
Old 10-13-2016
Registered!!

That's what I'm tryna figure out, do you guys have any suggestions of places that it could be leaking from that aren't obvious, cause I've already checked those... if ya get what I'm saying...
your saying you see coolant on the engine?

if so, you should be able to generalize the area its coming from,

rad, hoses, heater core, water pump??

is coolant dripping on the ground after you park?....dripping from the timing cover?....is your carpet wet inside between the front two seats?

i cant see much from here, take pics of the engine bay?
Old 10-13-2016

If you're losing that much coolant it should be obvious where it's coming from. Next time you stop at the store look under the car you should see it leaking from somewhere. Pop the hood see if there's steam coming off anything. If your filling your reservoir to the very top it would at the very least be getting pushed out the top when the engine warms up.

If it's not leaking then it must be burn it.
Old 10-13-2016

We could suggest every last thing we could ever possibly see wrong on that engine.
There are many POSSIBLE causes of your issues.

There is one common cause we all expect to see posted on here, about 19 times per month there's another all new thread on it and the people posting are always in denial, thoroughly convinced it can't possibly be, just because most can't figure it out right away.

The thread with most of the info most people would need has already been linked, but it's up to you to read it thoroughly and understand the what for and the why, watch and learn how from the videos in the post, make good use of that information, perform the necessary steps to diagnose.

It's up to YOU to actually figure out what's happening on your own car, none of us can do it for you.
Old 10-13-2016
Registered!!

Ive seen coolant stream running down fans and small puddle on K -frame(i think that's what it's called). But since I flushed the radiator and checked the hoses for blockage and my cap is tight idk what it could be coming from, if that makes sense. Also, this is my daily driver, so I admit I am rushing around for solutions but I want to make sure I get and do everything right the first time. I appreciate all your help!
Old 10-14-2016

stream running down fans and small puddle on K -frame
It's a full subframe on that car, but that's not important right now.

Is the radiator COMPLETELY full to the top right now? It is designed to be completely full under all conditions. Fill it.

How full are you filling the white plastic reservoir when you see it empty?
Old 10-14-2016
Registered!!

But since I flushed the radiator and checked the hoses for blockage and my cap is tight idk what it could be coming from
did your leak start before or after you "flushed" the rad?

also describe IN DETAIL your "flushing" procedure
Old 10-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Heater core hoses is another possibility if not already mentioned in this scroll. Jack the car up high, get under it with a bright light while a buddy runs it hard until it begins to over heat to try to detect the source. Bring a mechanics mirror when you go under it as well.