ECU Fried 7th Gen cars have a Chronic issue - alternator bolts get loose and the loss of grounding will eventually fry the ECU

OBDII will not link

Old 04-17-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OKCEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
OBDII will not link

Hello everyone. I’m in need of help. 2003 civic D17A2 5 speed. Original owner. A little back story before we get to the initial prob. Car was tip top until 2010 when trans bearing began chattering. Parked for a couple months while saving $. House was robbed and keys stolen. Car put on back burner for years. Locksmith friend made new keys and tried to program ecu to new key. DLC would not link to his programmer. I started chasing wires. Tried to connect a scan tool with no avail. All fuses good, there is power to the DLC pinout. Everything checked out with volt meter. All dash lights work and everything powers up. Engine will crank but bc of new transponder key the ecu will not send ignition to coils. Fuel pump has power. Everything is working but the OBDII port will not link to any programmers/scan tools. What to do? Thx in advance!
Old 04-17-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: OBDII will not link

I wonder how a dealer programs a new key? maybe gotta have old one to get car started then connect??
Old 04-17-2019
Registered!!

A dealer just hires a locksmith like contract work
Old 04-18-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Usually when we see scan tools that will not connect to the PCM it has been fried due to loose alternator bolts.
Old 04-18-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Pretty sure I would never attempt to start a car with 9yr old gas in the tank.

But if you have changed out that gas, then pulling the fuel pump relay and bypass with jumper wire should allow it to start if there are no other issues.

I agree though, sounds like your PCM is not working.
Old 04-18-2019
Registered!!

Thx I’ll check the alternator bolts this eve.

i have drained the old gas out and replaced with fresh gas. Also changed oil. I did this by bypassing the relay and jumping the fuel pump straight to the battery. Refilled the tank with 2 gal of fresh gas then drained it again clearing the lines and replaced again with fresh gas. I’ll see if I can find an ecu from the local salvage yard. Not sure why it would be fried bc everything was operational when parked. Nothing touched until now. Just simply needed a new key made and Transponder programmed to the ecu, but hey, anything is possible I suppose.

Thank you all for your responses. I’m just stumped at this point
Old 04-18-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Pretty sure I would never attempt to start a car with 9yr old gas in the tank.

But if you have changed out that gas, then pulling the fuel pump relay and bypass with jumper wire should allow it to start if there are no other issues.

I agree though, sounds like your PCM is not working.
Does the transponder trigger the ignition or the fuel sending unit relay? I thought it won’t allow ignition if the transponder key doesn’t match the pcm... If true then I’ll just bypass the relay all together so I can start and drive it temporarily
Old 04-18-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Honda immobilized tech shuts down the fuel pump via relay behind glove box.

That and blink the green light on the dash is all it does..
Old 04-18-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Honda immobilized tech shuts down the fuel pump via relay behind glove box.

That and blink the green light on the dash is all it does..
Ahhh... very good! I’ll work on that as well. But still need to address the main DLC issue. Thx
Old 04-18-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OKCEM2
A dealer just hires a locksmith like contract work
No Honda or Acura dealership would do that.
Old 04-21-2019
Registered!!

Just a respected update for those who reached out. After multiple failed attempts to connect to the OBDII port I removed the ground from the alternator and scuffed the surface as well as manhandling the OBDII port connector and was able to get the pcm to link. EVERY TIME! Called my auto locksmith buddy and he was successfully able to program the pcm to the new key. Started up and runs like a champ. Now to fix the initial prob that began in 2010. Thx to all who chimed in on this thread. I really appreciate you taking your time out to try and help. I was beating my head against the wall on this one.
Old 09-16-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KevinAnderson is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think any locksmith will be able to link it.