ECU Fried 7th Gen cars have a Chronic issue - alternator bolts get loose and the loss of grounding will eventually fry the ECU

Bad ECU 2002 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drix is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad ECU 2002 Honda Civic

When my car hits 60MPH and ive been driving a while my ECU starts sparking, not even a joke, that thang is about to burst to flames man! I'm in a tight money situation, and i cant take her to the shop so id rather do it on my own, just came looking for info where I can get a new ECU, that is NOT a grand. Also if anyone can direct me to any DIYs so that i can install it myself, or if there is anyway to repair/reset the ECU. Any information would be great. Im not too familiar with the computer, I appreciate all info in advance.
If needed; I live around Tampa FLA area, and the vehicle is 2002 Civic LX, automatic. Sorry if i was vague, any other questions, let me know. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2016
Registered!!

Re: Bad ECU 2002 Honda Civic

Originally Posted by Drix
When my car hits 60MPH and ive been driving a while my ECU starts sparking, not even a joke, that thang is about to burst to flames man! I'm in a tight money situation, and i cant take her to the shop so id rather do it on my own, just came looking for info where I can get a new ECU, that is NOT a grand. Also if anyone can direct me to any DIYs so that i can install it myself, or if there is anyway to repair/reset the ECU. Any information would be great. Im not too familiar with the computer, I appreciate all info in advance.
If needed; I live around Tampa FLA area, and the vehicle is 2002 Civic LX, automatic. Sorry if i was vague, any other questions, let me know. Thanks!
Does anyone have a clue?..
Old 03-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed at the story and would like to see this. Got video?

Have belts or a timing belt service been done recently or the alternator replaced?
Are the alternator mounting bolts tight?

If you just want to toss a PCM at it, be aware that it needs to be programmed for the immobilizer keys before the engine can run.
The only semi-easy way around that that I know of is to get the matching ignition/steering column lock with the keys that match the PCM.
Old 03-18-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I'm amazed at the story and would like to see this. Got video?

Have belts or a timing belt service been done recently or the alternator replaced?
Are the alternator mounting bolts tight?

If you just want to toss a PCM at it, be aware that it needs to be programmed for the immobilizer keys before the engine can run.
The only semi-easy way around that that I know of is to get the matching ignition/steering column lock with the keys that match the PCM.
Recently changed my alternator everything is tight and charging. Changed my timing belt a months ago while i was there changing my cam sensor, again...
Im not too familiar with the ECU, PCM, or TCM. I constantly have a Camshaft sensor issue, just about every month. So i figured i just had a bad ground and after i finished that project, nothing changed. I noticed my ECU sparking after driving for about an hour and then my car LOCKED UP. Steering locked, brakes locked, gas pedal, then my whole cluster lit up. Also, my transmission is shifting early and a tad erratic, i then figured that it was my trans solenoids or TCM. But after seeing the ECU sparking i jumped to thinking my ECU is about to go out on me. Ive never experienced a lock up like that. And i have no clue what the hell is going on with her. Thanks in advance!
Update. Just went for a drive, going about 60, al gauges dropped to zero and fire started spitting from under my hood. Couldnt catch it on vid happened too soon.
Update: Was just driving. All gauges dropped to zero, ebrake, CEL, maintreqd light, oil and battery light came on, EVERYTHING LOCKED gas, brakes, steering. Then all i see and hear, is my ecu sparking. WTH IS GOING ON?!

Last edited by Drix; 03-18-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Im not too familiar with the ECU, PCM, or TCM.
On that car there is only one control unit for engine and transmission, but people can call it by several different acronyms.
and then my car LOCKED UP. Steering locked, brakes locked, gas pedal, then my whole cluster lit up.
You mean your engine stalled...... and since the engine stopped running all the warning lights came on and you lost power assist for the brakes and steering.

FYI the brakes and steering cannot 'lock up', you still have control over the car but it requires a lot more effort to do so, as you coast to a stop you can guide it to the side of the road.

I constantly have a Camshaft sensor issue, just about every month.

Also, my transmission is shifting early and a tad erratic,
I can't offer anything on this without more data.

and fire started spitting from under my hood
Spitting fire = flames? Smoke? Sparks? Evil spirits? Spittin game?
But after seeing the ECU sparking
What ecu can you see? Post a pic of whatever "ECU" you are referring to so the rest of us can see it.
Don't care about sparks or fire yet, I want to know exactly what you are looking at first.
Old 03-18-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the ECU is not in a visible place, in other words.