Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

should I do my oil pan?

Old 02-06-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elfred is an unknown quantity at this point
should I do my oil pan?

Hello Civicforum!

So while I am doin my tranny, I took some photos (attached below)of my oilpan, most of it are dry-clean but 2-3 corners on my pan showing trace of oil.Should I do the gasket replacement already for preventative measures?

Another question is should I use "red RTV "or just "gasket"alone? or both?

Kindly need advice on this, thanks in advice!

Cheers,

Elfred
Old 02-06-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: should I do my oil pan?

Judging by your pics, is it safe to assume you have an EX trim? If so, the oil pan gasket is just an RTV gasket
Old 02-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Are you sure the oil is just coming from the oil pan or is it leaking from the back of the valve cover?

The oil pan isn't hard to do (other than just getting it off the car), just a little tedious because you need to scrape off all the old gasket on the bottom of the engine.
Old 02-08-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Your nowhere near needing to worry about that seepage.

If you do decide to reseal it anyways, use grey or hondabond and be prepared for the chance it will leak more than currently after the repair...
Old 02-08-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Your nowhere near needing to worry about that seepage.

If you do decide to reseal it anyways, use grey or hondabond and be prepared for the chance it will leak more than currently after the repair...
Ok, why did you say that? Why it will leak after repair? did it happen to your civic, after you change the gasket or reseal it?

Last edited by elfred; 02-08-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
Are you sure the oil is just coming from the oil pan or is it leaking from the back of the valve cover?

The oil pan isn't hard to do (other than just getting it off the car), just a little tedious because you need to scrape off all the old gasket on the bottom of the engine.
Ok I will attached photos on my valve cover area if there is a oil leak comin from there, just hang on. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Did a bit of digging. OP has a 2001 Acura 1.7EL. For those that don't know, it's a USDM 2001 EX with a facelift and rear discs. My previous post in this thread holds true: your oil pan gasket is just and RTV gasket, and like @drhawkinz mentioned, it's tedious since you have to scrape off all the old gasket from the pan/bottom side of the block. You may or may not have to remove the downpipe, too. It just makes it immensely easier to do so. You, at the very least, have to disconnect it from the exhaust manifold so you can move it around to wiggle the oil pan out. It's not impossible, just a pain. Also requires you have a downpipe to b-pipe gasket on hand if you're a sticker for replacing gaskets for the mating surfaces you broke apart. I haven't had any issues before re-using doughnut gaskets.
Old 02-08-2019
Registered!!

Ok thank you riceboy!

But still contemplating if do it later or summer.
or practice first in my nearest junkyard here in my area.

Cheers!
Old 02-08-2019
Registered!!

ok ill chk on that awesomevthanks!!!
Old 02-08-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda looks like much of the mess came from above the oil pan more than the pan itself.

Clean it thoroughly then evaluate again later on?
Old 02-08-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Kinda looks like much of the mess came from above the oil pan more than the pan itself.

Clean it thoroughly then evaluate again later on?

ok understood thanks!

cheers!

ELfred

Last edited by elfred; 02-09-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2019
Registered!!

Hi civicforums!

So I took some photos from valve cover area...

might be this is the reason...

but thanks!

ELfred
Old 02-09-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Typical ooze for maybe 120-150,000 miles?

Valve cover gasket/cam plug/VTEC gasket set?
Oh hey regarding my reply earlier consider (most of the time) when the oil filter gets replaced oil will spill all over the back of the engine.......that can leave a big mess if nobody cleans it up
Old 02-09-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Again, your showing pictures of almost 20 years of seepage.

You have not stated that even have had one drop of oil has made it to the ground and that’s why I say it’s not worth messing with.

Personaly I would spend the same effort to find all the rusty spots and spritz those with some more oil.

Old 02-09-2019

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

Personaly I would spend the same effort to find all the rusty spots

Brake lines from one end of the car to the other