Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

2005 Civic - interior electronics shutoff while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eodue is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic - interior electronics shutoff while driving

My fiance's 2005 honda civic has had the interior electronics shut off while she was driving on a couple of occasions (weeks/months apart). I have not been able to reproduce this or been around to witness it happening.

Symptoms on occurance:

-guage cluster shuts off, no lights, gauges read zero

-radio shuts off

-climate controls shut off

-turn signals blink at an accelerated rate as if a bulb was out

-possible loss of power steering (I'll have to confirm this with her

Last year I replaced the starter, alternator, battery, and engine grounds. The car had run fine until last week when the interior electronics shut off again while she was driving.

I have checked the following:

-engine grounds

-battery voltage and alternator

-all of the interior wiring grounds that I could access without tearing apart too much of the dash

Could this be a problem with the ignition switch? Should I tear into the dash further and check the grounds behind the guage cluster? And are there any other components or connections I should investigate?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Old 02-05-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2005 Civic - interior electronics shutoff while driving

Try pulling the relay out behind the glove compartment and see if that “recreates” what she describes happening.

I don’t like to just replace parts, but those relays and the “steering switch” are wear and tear parts on a 15year old car so it’s basically a maintaince item to replace them.

Again you don’t need the whole ignition assembly, just the “steering switch” is the part that actually get turned and it’s a lot cheaper and simpler to replace.
Old 02-05-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Could be a loose alternator belt.

I had one loose once and while at idle the alternator looked good testing at 14.5V, but at higher rpm I saw the battery light come on, indicating the charging system was not working.

Sure enough the belt was loose.

Old 02-05-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eodue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac25
Could be a loose alternator belt.

I had one loose once and while at idle the alternator looked good testing at 14.5V, but at higher rpm I saw the battery light come on, indicating the charging system was not working.

Sure enough the belt was loose.
I'll check it to make sure, although it was fine when I replaced the alternator and the engine continued running when the electronics failed. I'm interested in checking out the relay(s) behind the glove box mentioned above to see what they control.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-06-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Areas I would concentrate on: alternator, loose alternator bracket bolt (ground for alternator), stripped alternator adjusting bolt and the electrical portion of the ignition switch.