Oil, Lubrication Post your questions about oils here

Oil Dilution

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ducebigalow is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Dilution

This has probably addressed before, but I have been hearing more about this Oil Dilution issue, mainly with the CRV, but also with the civics as well.
I haven't noticed anything with my car (knock on wood), like other people have been reporting online, but as a 2018 civic hatch owner I am concerned. Can anyone shed some other light on this situation, service bulletins, etc.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Oil Dilution

Are you in a cold climate? I thought I read it was effecting cold weather cars more.
Old 12-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have an affected CRV?
Old 12-11-2018
Registered!!

Yes, I live in Ontario, Canada, and no I don't have a CRV I have a 2018 civic hatch LX. Yesterday it was -6 C, which isn't to bad. We can get down to -30 C feeling like -40 C with wind chill.
Old 12-11-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducebigalow
Yes, I live in Ontario, Canada, and no I don't have a CRV I have a 2018 civic hatch LX. Yesterday it was -6 C, which isn't to bad. We can get down to -30 C feeling like -40 C with wind chill.
I have zero information for Canadian cars. In the US as of right now I'm really not aware of any updates on 1.5T Civics.

So I suppose the old standard rule of thumb should apply as it would to any other engine: If you notice your oil level has risen significantly, get the oil changed.
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Update
So over the weekend I did check my oil after driving the car around for most of the morning, after I let it rest for about 5mins. The level of oil seemed to be ok, however I did notice that it smelled of gas. Should I be concerned? I have sent my local dealership and the dealership where I purchased the car from both an email of this. I do have a scheduled service coming up on Jan 4th for brake inspection.
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Just as a side note, I never checked my oil in my 2004 civic while I had it. I had no reason to because I brought the car in every 6 - 8000kms for an oil change. I also wasn't aware of any issues etc. etc.
Old 12-17-2018

Update
So over the weekend I did check my oil after driving the car around for most of the morning, after I let it rest for about 5mins. The level of oil seemed to be ok, however I did notice that it smelled of gas. Should I be concerned? I have sent my local dealership and the dealership where I purchased the car from both an email of this. I do have a scheduled service coming up on Jan 4th for brake inspection.
The oil may smell like gasoline, that can be normal.
Don't be concerned unless the level is rising.

If you drive it long enough to get the oil hot and keep it hot for an extended amount of time, that fuel condensation will vaporize out of the oil.

Brake inspection on a 2018 already? Whuuut?
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Yes, the maintenance says A19, which is brake inspection, oil change but the oil was change not to long ago and is at 70%.
Another Update
I emailed my local dealership about the smell of oil in the gas. Their reply was that they ran my vin and there are "no recalls regarding the engine oil dilution on your vehicle, so no need to worry". I never said anything about oil dilution in my email, I just said the oil smell of gas? However, I also emailed the dealership where I bought the car and they said "there is actually a product update for that issue, and it does pertain to my vehicle". What the heck? One dealership says there isn't an issue and the other says yes there is????? The only thing I can think of is that my local dealership doesn't want any part of a warranty issue since I didn't buy it from them. I will be cancelling my appointment with my local dealership, and may not ever return to them for anything. This puts a bad taste in my month.
Old 12-17-2018

"Product update" is not the same as a "recall".
Old 12-17-2018

Originally Posted by ezone
"Product update" is not the same as a "recall".
If the dealer will do the product update, certainly have it done asap
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

No I understand they are not they samething. However, why does one dealership know about the issue and the other doesn't? I should also mention my can about approx. 22000kms on it, and most of my driving is highway.
Old 12-17-2018

No I understand they are not they samething. However, why does one dealership know about the issue and the other doesn't? I should also mention my can about approx. 22000kms on it, and most of my driving is highway.
Know about is one thing. (Maybe whomever you talked to doesn't even know about it)
Telling you about it is another. I'm sure they have their reasons LOL
Owners of vehicles affected by a product update should eventually receive a notification of some sort (letter in the mail, or possibly some other form of communication)
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

This really shouldn't be a game between the dealership and the customer though. I took my 2004 civic to my local dealership (where I bought the car) for everything, for 14 years.
To be fare, the dealership where I bought if from has now come back and said that it is a SB but after looking into it further it does NOT include my vehicle. However, there is another SB about oil dilution and having the engine light on for various trouble codes, and that they will work from that angle.
Old 12-17-2018

This really shouldn't be a game between the dealership and the customer though. I took my 2004 civic to my local dealership (where I bought the car) for everything, for 14 years.
To be fare, the dealership where I bought if from has now come back and said that it is a SB but after looking into it further it does NOT include my vehicle. However, there is another SB about oil dilution and having the engine light on for various trouble codes, and that they will work from that angle.
The dealer has to follow the guidelines set by the manufacturer. If they don't follow the rules, the manufacturer won't pay the warranty claim.

If the sb information says your car has to set some code before anything can be done, that's the rule that must be followed.
You can inquire more from the dealer people that told you about it.
Old 12-18-2018
Registered!!

Yah I understand.