Electrical Post your Electrical issues here!

2019 Civic. Negative Battery Cable chewed by rodent

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew31 is an unknown quantity at this point
2019 Civic. Negative Battery Cable chewed by rodent

Hi. First time poster here and hoping someone can answer my question/concern.

I bought a 2019 Civic about a Month ago and got a "Charging System Problem" error come up on the dash. Upon investigation the Negative Battery Cable was cut somehow. I brought the car back to the dealership where I bought it and they told me it looked like a small rodent got in under the hood and had chewed through the cable. They also told me the whole wiring harness needed to be replaced, around a $1800 job. Almost everyone that I talk to regarding this, has said that they don't understand why the whole wiring harness would have to be replaced.

I took the Dealerships word and beginning to think that they are actually just scamming me. The issue is, the whole wiring harness needed to be ordered and it is on backorder, going on over a month now. I have no vehicle because of this. Almost EVERYTHING I look up online says that a Negative cable replacement is a quick job and shouldn't be $1800. My question is, WHY would they say the whole harness would need to be replaced? This is even before they look at the vehicle, and they just eyeballed it. If it is only the Negative battery cable that is broken, shouldn't this be a relatively easy and quick job to repair?
Old 04-27-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2019 Civic. Negative Battery Cable

post a pic
1800 is really a steep price, tho.
Old 04-27-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If the rodent chewed multiple wires, then yes the harness should be replaced.

If it's just the ground, then solder the wire back together, insulate it and call it a day.

DIY
-soldering iron $30
-solder $6
-harness plastic casing $5
-electrical tape $4
Old 04-27-2019
Registered!!

Not used to posting pics in forums. Not sure if the above worked.

https://ibb.co/27krWhF
Old 04-27-2019
Registered!!

The casing is gone and 1 of the 2 wires is cut. As far as I know this is the only wire cut (as I said, they eyeballed it). Instantly told me the whole wiring harness had to be replaced, without even putting the car on a ramp. I don't even know if this is the cause of the "Charging System Problem Error" but i mean, it makes sense if a wire is cut going to the battery.

Told me I couldn't drive the vehicle also. Had a rental from the insurance company for 2 weeks (Max). Going back next week, part is BO (wiring harness) until Middle of the month. Find this all very sketchy honestly, as I find it hard to believe that a new vehicle would have a Back order on a part like this.

I'm going to go out on a limb and they are "Assuming" more damage but never really checked, and since the insurance already approved it, it's money in their pocket for when the part comes in. It wouldn't be so bad if they would provide me with a loaner until it is fixed, but they gave me the excuse that because it isn't a Warranty job they might not be able to. But really... it's Honda's fault this part isn't available... not mine. Sure it's unfortunate this happened to me, but I would expect more from them if the part is backorder (as I'm guessing they order directly from manufacturer, and if they aren't... then why wouldn't they? I have no idea.
Old 04-27-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it's only chewed the set of small wires that attach to the battery current sensor?
IMO this would be a simple repair for anyone capable of fixing wiring (not all mechanics can). Might be fixed and back on the road in an hour or two if that's the only damage and no fault codes reset after the obvious wiring damage is fixed.

But is that the only damage?

Has anyone eradicated the rodent that caused the problem? What good is fixing the car if you still have a garage full of hungry mice?

Where I live we frequently see rodent damage.... after seeing a huge estimate many customers just contact their insurance company and they handle it
The following users liked this post:
soplaingirl (07-25-2021)
Old 04-27-2019
Registered!!

They said they have to take out the whole wire harness to check it for more damage. I don't even know if they did. Charged me for 8 hours labor.
Old 04-27-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew31
Charged me for 8 hours labor.
You already paid for this, or was this the estimate?
Old 04-27-2019

Originally Posted by Andrew31
They said they have to take out the whole wire harness to check it for more damage
IMO....you fix the obvious stuff and then determine if that takes care of all the problems.

You could patch it yourself with wire and black tape so you can figure out if that will keep the warning lights off (might need to erase codes with a scanner)....but that's not really a permanent and weatherproof wiring repair.
Old 03-24-2021
Registered!!

Stubetcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys sorry for bringing up this older thread, but I have succumb to the same issue (exact same wires were chewed through... mine are blue and white)
I'm not much of a car guy, but I know electronics well. If I wanted to solder/wrap these wires... Do I just disconnect the battery, solder wires, wrap, tape and reconnect battery?
It seems like a simple solution, but like I said, don't know enough about cars. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2021

Originally Posted by Stubetcha
Hey guys sorry for bringing up this older thread, but I have succumb to the same issue (exact same wires were chewed through... mine are blue and white)
I'm not much of a car guy, but I know electronics well. If I wanted to solder/wrap these wires... Do I just disconnect the battery, solder wires, wrap, tape and reconnect battery?
It seems like a simple solution, but like I said, don't know enough about cars. Thanks.
Absolutely.. Make your repairs waterproof so the wiring will last.. I love glue lined heat shrink tubing

Honda also sells anti mouse tape.
The following users liked this post:
2007Si (08-05-2021)