Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

High knock control

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That1.5T is an unknown quantity at this point
High knock control

Been a while since i posted something...
Drove down to San diego for vacation from Seattle and about 700ish miles i saw someone post about their K.cont being high so i check mine on my ktuner and it’s at .8 and i didn’t know if that was high enough to do any damage so i kept driving. Stayed that way the whole time cruising at speeds of 75-85 mph. Jumped way up past 1.0 when i put on my cruise control so i didn’t use that. now every day i turn it on it starts at around .6-.7 and when i start driving it’s at .8. Not sure what factors into high knock control and i don’t know if i’m doing any damage to the engine by continuing to drive it but i have been driving it and have about 1500 miles since starting my road trip.
The day before the road trip i did the 15k recommended service which is oil change, air filter, change tire rotation, fuel injector cleaner and all that good stuff.
Been running 92 gas from shell but cali so far only has 91 so that’s what i’ve been using for about 600/600 miles.
Ktuner readings at 80mph:
K.Cont .98
IAT96
STFT-3%
LTFT-2%
Tc.Prs 1100mB
Help me figure this out please i drive back up to Seattle next friday
Thanks!!
EDIT
I’m running Ktuner Stage 2 and have been since about 12k miles, currently at 20k miles.

Last edited by That1.5T; 03-29-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: High knock control

This is from another forum as I am not familiar with KTuner but it sounds like if you run a higher octane fuel it will go down. Also seems like it is not hurting the engine as the computer is compensating for the lower grade fuel.

Here’s what Vit officially said, “The Knock Count value on this ECU is worthless. It doesn't track actual knock -- I've induced audible knock on our test vehicle and knock count stayed at 0. Yet at other times it would go up while shifting the vehicle. Pay attention to Knock Control, it is the more important value. And what this value does will depend highly on what the tune is setup to do. For a stock style tune that is designed to run on 87 octane and premium (91+) you'll see around 1.0 on 87 octane and closer to .5-.6 as you get up to 93-94 octane (not all premium fuel is the same).

On something like our Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes we've designed them to run on 91-93 octane, so on 91 octane expect to see closer to .9 and as you get to better premium grade fuel you'll see closer to .5 - .6.”

Don’t know who Vit is. Maybe you can contact ktuner and ask them. They are a reputable tuner so I am sure they designed a solid system and what you are experiencing is normal.