General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Dont read ricer mags? Neither do I, so this should be new for you.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont read ricer mags? Neither do I, so this should be new for you.

Much thanks to "wowzr" from CSi. I dont know if he copied and pasted or not, but its still a lotta work.

Grip around the skidpad was respectable but not overwhelming at .85g. Balance through our 700-ft slalom was as manageable, if not as controllable, as Mazdaspeed's Protege. Regardless, it was still fast at 69 mph.

Nits? The most glaring to pick is the lack of a limited-slip differential, which Bayer and Zweidler say is being looked into, perhaps even for production in a future model. They were tight-lipped about when it might be available, what kind of LSD they might use and how much it might cost if it is to be sold through the MOPAR catalog, which seems like a possibility.

The suspension calibration is good, but we'd like to see a bit more rebound damping. Our mountain road pounding explored the limits of the design as much as its calibration. Travel isn't substantial, so excruciating attention to damping goes a long way in finding extra speed and safety margin when driving hard.

Other than those few bits, this car is superb. Fast, fun, even pretty damned good looking. The only question is how many will be made? At the time of our test, no one wanted to spill the production numbers so it's impossible to say how seriously demand will exceed supply. But it seems obvious at this point that it will.

The engineering retaliation was simple: The SRT-4 has no mufflers, which helps make up for the compromised exhaust routing. That's right, there's a turbo, a catalytic converter and two resonators in the exhaust system, but no actual mufflers. Again, the engineers insist this will make it to production. We'll be impressed if it does as the SRT-4 sounds as pissed as it acts. Burbling under engine braking and spitting backfires under hard acceleration gives us some doubts about the production readiness of the exhaust system, but we absolutely love it.

The experience from the driver's seat is a good one. There's a boost gauge to keep the geekshappy. There's also a real temperature gauge. By real, we mean the gauge actually reads engine coolant temperature. In most other modern cars, the needle never moves, staying in the middle of the range while coolant temperature rises and falls as much as 40 degrees. Drive hard and the Neon's temp gauge climbs; cruise, and it falls. Amazing.

The shifter for the five-speed manual is a serious departure from other Neons we've driven. It's relatively short throw and very direct, not unlike the last generation Honda Civic.
No slushbox is available

Launch the SRT-4 from low rpm with little wheelspin and it almost bogs before immediately coming on boost, thanks to its relatively small turbo. Then it snorts and pops between shifts, sounding more like a high-strung rally car than a production machine before pounding through the traps in 14.2 seconds at 99.5 mph.

During our day of testing, which was at a 1,120-ft track notorious for low grip and high temperatures, the car did manage one pass in 14.1 seconds, but we're using the 14.2-second time because our testing standard is to average the two fastest runs and round to the nearest .1 second.

hi!

A beefed up cooling system is also in place to handle the radically increased thermal loads. From the front, the efforts to keep the engine cool are integrated into the front fascia and hood styling. Six bumper vents and a functional hood scoop tell us there was some communication between stylists and engineers on this project. The hood scoop dumps air over the turbocharger and has a unique stamping, which can be cut to provide cool air to the airbox with little work

The engine, by the way, is new and based on the 2.4-liter turbo the company has been selling in the Mexican market. However, in the SRT-4 it's radically updated. Still displacing 2.4 liters, it gets new pistons, which are now cooled by oil squirters. Stronger rods and a new cast crank both support the 14 psi shoved down its intake manifold by the Mitsubishi TD04-16G turbocharger. Before reaching the intake manifold, charge air is cooled by a huge front-mounted cross-flow intercooler, which does wonders for the looks of the car.

A careful look at the underside of the SRT-4's hood reveals some interesting details. Note the bulge on the right side (see arrow). This aligns with the airbox when the hood is closed and can easily be cut to make a cold-air intake.

The chassis presented engineers with some serious challenges. First, Dodge designed the Neon chassis with zero camber adjustment. That means factory alignment settings set the tires exactly vertical to the pavement, which is not the best for cornering. Because of this fundamental design issue, the SRT-4 certainly gives up some cornering power to its rivals. Adding adjustable camber plates will go a long way to improve the Neon's lateral grip.

But zero camber does offer some advantages. Keeping the tires vertical helps grip during acceleration and braking. The SRT-4 stops from 60 in a short 119 feet. The sticky Michelins and big 11.0-in. front rotors didn't hurt, either

Then there are the seats, which are deep, supportive buckets with giant bolsters on the side and bottom cushions. Someone on the development team definitely thought about driving the SRT-4 in more than just a straight line as the seats provide serious lateral support.

During our testing, the angry little SRT-4 hit 60 in 5.8 seconds and put 223 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque to its front wheels on our Dynojet chassis dyno. That means our test car made more power and torque at the wheels than it's rated for at the flywheel, which is unheard of from nearly any car.

These impressive performance numbers come with a caveat, however. The car we tested was a prototype and putting it through our instrumented tests sent convulsions through DaimlerChrysler. The engineers on hand for our testing, however, engine calibrator Ethan Bayer and development engineer Stephan Zweidler, insisted the engine calibration and hardware are within several percent of being finalized for production. That means the numbers we produced at the track and on the dyno should be repeatable on production cars.

Even if conservative final tuning takes five percent from the engine's output, it will still far overshoot its factory power rating of 215 hp and 245 lb-ft of torque.

On the street, the SRT-4 is a monster. Blast through the gears hard and you'll scare the pants off of anyone driving a Subaru WRX. Sure, the SRT-4 doesn't have the all-wheel-drive holeshot of the Subaru, but a careful look at the numbers tells us that a drag race between the two cars would be a contest of drivers as much as cars--it's that close.

Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way

One look at the enormous intercooler told us the engine would be all we hoped for and more. Power output is so far beyond anything else in this segment, it's almost embarrassing. The fact it makes 8 more horsepower at the wheels than DaimlerChrysler claims at the crank might be explained by a difference in test procedures. Since there's no specified SAE test procedure for simulating intercooler efficiency, DC measured output with a relatively hot intercooler as a conservative worst-case scenario.

The SRT-4's quarter-mile times are faster than a Mustang GT and within a tenth of the 350Z. The SRT-4 launches much harder than a front-driver should, especially one with an open diff and relatively narrow 205-width tires. Credit an econo-box chassis that forces the tires to stand dead straight, sticky Michelin Pilot Sports, and an unusual choice in tire sizes. At 205/50ZR-17, the SRT-4's tires are tall. The large rolling diameter makes the contact patch longer, resulting in far more rubber on the road than, say, a 205/45-16.

Gathering performance data, it quickly became clear the SRT-4 was dominating the straight-line tests, and the Mazdaspeed Protegé was being equally relentless with the handling tests. To break the tie, we took to the mountains and let real-world speed decide the winner. As you have surely guessed, the SRT-4 was the faster of the two, but not by much. It took more than three miles for the SRT-4 to pull an appreciable gap on the Protegé. While not as solid and composed as the Protegé, the Neon still showed decent balance, good grip, strong, fade-free brakes, and of course, staggering pull between the corners.

Best Feature:
Holy front-mount, Batman! This thing isn't just turbocharged, it's turbocharged right. Big engine; big boost; big intercooler; snortin', poppin', growlin' exhaust. Yeah, we like the engine.

Worst Feature:
It's not as sorely missed as you might expect, but obviously any car with this kind of power needs a limited-slip diff. The stock open diff is an uncharacteristic oversight.

First three things we'd modify

1: Limited-slip differential
Being a new transmission, we don't know of anyone actually making a limited slip for the SRT-4 yet. PVO is working with Tochigi Fuji Sangyo on one however, and Quaife has one in the works as well.

2: Camber adjusters
Neons have zero camber from the factory, which means relatively low handling limits and more understeer than we'd like. Handling would be greatly improved with 1 to 2 degrees of negative camber.

3: Stiffer dampers
The SRT-4 was designed in Detroit. The suspension is better controlled than most cars developed on that city's bombed-out roads, but it still feels a bit floaty and disconnected when driven with all the gusto its engine, brakes and tires can deliver.

Base price: $19,995
Measured horsepower at the wheels: 223 hp @ 5700 rpm
Curb weight as tested: 2,870 lb

DODGE SRT-4
Estimated Price: $19,995
Engine
Engine Code: A853
Type : Inline four, iron block,
aluminum head, turbocharged
and intercooled
Valvetrain : DOHC, four valves
per cylinder
Displacement: 2429cc
Bore x Stroke: 87.5mm x 101.0mm
Compression Ratio: 8.1:1
Claimed Crank Hp: 215 hp @ 5400 rpm
Claimed Crank Torque : 245 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm
Measured Wheel Hp: 223 hp @ 5700 rpm
Measured Wheel Torque: 250 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
Redline: 6000 rpm
Drivetrain
Layout: Transverse front-engine,
front-wheel drive
Transmission: Five-speed manual
Gear Ratios
1: 3.647:1
2: 2.045:1
3: 1.367:1
4: 0.947:1
5: 0.756:1
Final Drive : 3.526:1
Differential : Open
Chassis
Chassis Code: PLDS41
Exterior dimensions
Measured Curb Weight : 2,870 lb
Weight Distribution F/R : 64/36
Overall Length: 175.7 in.
Wheelbase : 105.0 in.
Overall Width: 67.4 in.
Track F/R: 57.6 in./57.7 in.
Height: 56.5 in.
Suspension
Front: MacPherson strut,
anti-roll bar
Rear: Strut with two lateral links
and one trailing link,
anti-roll bar
Brakes
Front: 11.0-in. vented discs,
single-piston sliding calipers
Rear: 10.6-in solid discs,
single-piston sliding caliper
Electronic Driving Aids/Inhibitors: ABS, electronic throttle
Wheels and Tires
Wheels: 17 x 6-in. aluminum
Tires: 205/50ZR-17
Michelin Pilot Sport
Performance
Acceleration
0-30 mph : 2.5 sec.
0-60 mph : 5.8 sec.
30-50 mph : 2.0 sec.
50-70 mph : 3.0 sec.
Quarter-Mile Time @ Speed: 14.2 sec. @ 99.5 mph
Handling
Lateral Grip (200ft skidpad): 0.85g
Slalom Speed (700ft slalom): 69.0 mph
Braking
60-0 Stopping Distance : 119 ft.

Old 12-16-2002
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Holy Chit. Some of those specs are freakin crazy.
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Good article thanxs honda guru, the specs are impressive
Old 12-16-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
........wow...
Old 12-16-2002
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
Excellent write up and great post.

It's easily going to be the best "fun factor bang for buck" cars under $20k.
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

XoULaBeAT is an unknown quantity at this point

wow.
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

jer2k is an unknown quantity at this point
All that info is from this months issue of Sport Compact Car.
Looks like Civic is in some trouble.
I love mine though.

Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
I think everything is gonna be in trouble.
Yea, its a neon and reliability and all.......
But I don't give a shiet......Those are some amazing numbers for under 20,000$$$
I'll take 2 please.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]......
Like jer2k said.....I love my civic and all.......but I also love power
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-16-2002
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow the specs are really good for this car
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

Neonmike is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a neon though, it'll probably blow it's headgasket on the way home from the dealer

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go change my headgasket....
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Its good to hear that a company was brave enough to raise the bar here in the states for this class of car and its price catagory. Hopefully other companies will follow.

Heh Mustang GT Killa.. kewl.
Old 12-16-2002
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
Thats very impressive! as usual yet another once crapy car is going to own the civic...other than the s2k honda has lost their legacy.
Old 12-16-2002
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I read this article already a while back. The numbers are impressive, but let's give it 6 months to a year and see if it doesn't end up blowing a headgasket or something..[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
nice, but i'd still take a MSP.

Has LSD and the handling. All ya need is a bigger intercooler and increased psi from the T25 garret. + i'd take Japanese Mazda over a Dodge any day of the week.
Old 12-16-2002
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: Neonmike
It's a neon though, it'll probably blow it's headgasket on the way home from the dealer

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go change my headgasket....[hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

Exodus is an unknown quantity at this point
Those are some nice numbers - now if I could just get over the fact that it's a Neon. It really hurts to see the SI place dead last overall...Honda needs to get on the ball.
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

id really love a turbo protoge, except for the fact that its got the miata's glass pistons and wont stand higher boost worth a crap. and if i have to do internal work on a stock turboed car to run ocer 15 PSI, i aint buying it.
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

adnmoh1 will become famous soon enoughadnmoh1 will become famous soon enough

Let's see, daimler-chrysler cannot fight the growing popularity of the japanese import. So they decide to build a car for that market. And since the fbodies made by GM are completely gone, with the only other competition coming from focuses, and stangs chrysler groups decide they will create a car to compete. But of course, when you put a simple dodge neon with f-engine and fwd , the competition gets very biased since, a pimped out 92 civic hatchback running a b16 engine, modded to a hondata comp system and simple changes to how the exhaust gets expelled from that car (maybe even a t304 turbo just for kicks) can easily out run a pos domestic anyday. Imports rule domestics can just kis my indian [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]

Thank You good bye
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn, the power, the color, the wing, the price of the car all reminds me of when the Integra Type R was released (although it wasn't released in white) resulting in a great car for a great price. Dodge has done it this time. I'm surprised... I think. Has everything but the LSD.... for now. I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge put one in future models but that might mean bumping up the price?
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: adnmoh1
But of course, when you put a simple dodge neon with f-engine and fwd , the competition gets very biased since, a pimped out 92 civic hatchback running a b16 engine, modded to a hondata comp system and simple changes to how the exhaust gets expelled from that car (maybe even a t304 turbo just for kicks) can easily out run a pos domestic anyday. Imports rule domestics can just kis my indian [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]

Thank You good bye[hr]
But guess what...

This is STOCK!
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
that neon.. makes me wonder if it'll really compete?
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

Let's see, daimler-chrysler cannot fight the growing popularity of the japanese import. So they decide to build a car for that market.

REALLY? You mean a car company is actually EVOLVING with the current market, instead of remaining static and stuck in 1972?! Who would have guessed a company that’s been around for the better part of a century would do that?

And since the fbodies made by GM are completely gone, with the only other competition coming from focuses, and stangs chrysler groups decide they will create a car to compete.

A) The F-body is only going to be "gone" for a few model years.
B) Didn’t you just say they created this "new car to compete" because "Daimler Chrysler cannot fight the growing popularity of the Japanese import"? Confused much?
C) The mustang and the Focus are NOT in the same demographic or performance class. I have no clue what you are trying to allude to, but it isn’t working.

But of course, when you put a simple dodge neon with f-engine and fwd , the competition gets very biased since, a pimped out 92 civic hatchback running a b16 engine, modded to a hondata comp system and simple changes to how the exhaust gets expelled from that car (maybe even a t304 turbo just for kicks) can easily out run a pos domestic anyday.

First of all...

Secondly,

A) WTF is an "f-engine"?
B) Do you know what the word "biased" means?
C) A 92 civic hatch is just that, a 1992 hatch. You can’t compare fixed up used cars to a brand new stock one. If you want to use that logic, I could buy an 89 Mustang LX and have it run 10s for less that imaginary "pimped out hatch" of yours. Do you still want to play this game, or shall we stick to apples and apples?
D) I don’t care what it has done to it, a B16 powered ANYTHING isn’t going to touch the fastest domestic. Period. And, coming from me, that’s obviously NOT a biased statement (do you still need to look up the meaning of that word?).

Imports rule domestics can just kis my indian [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]

Thank You good bye
[hr]
Yes, Thank you for ending your nonsensical, import circle-jerk rant with an official stamp of stupidity. I think if you go look up the word "biased" now, you might find out that applies to you more then anyone or anything else.

BTW;
me ---->
<---- you
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
OWN3D.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

I have to say, I agree with sonic. This thing reminds me a lot of the original ITR...........I want to test drive one NOW
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

Neonmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Dodge isin't reacting to the sport compact scene, so much as bringing back to the scene what they had in the late 80s early 90s. Which of course is cheap turbo cars.

I'm impressed that some other folks feel the type R vibe from the car like i do.
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

indeed.
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

adnmoh1 will become famous soon enoughadnmoh1 will become famous soon enough
1. jbody= firbird, trans am avg hp 300
2. fbody= saturn, cavalier, and other GM sport compact
3. 92 civic got something called weight dist. they have always had 50:50(atleast close to it) more power less weight makes things really great!!
4. the power potential of simple b16 b18 h22, sr20, jz, ka2022, ca(nissan s-13), are greater than an unknown engine with hyped up power potentials.
5. I am not totally biased, but when it comes to hype i always have my doubts.
6. an og neon can cost me only 2 gs and in about 15gs worth of pure power (490hp) and suspension packages is still alot less than a pos noob that claims everything, but can it really fight?
7. Think about economically a domestic is worth jack Sh$t after only 4 years, while imports still have high resale value.
8. the old addage "more cubic inches equals more power", than that would mean a simple jz twin turbo can still smoke it stock vs. stock.
9. guess what i do read ricer mags, and domestics mags, and auto enthusiasts mags, and guess what? reading is alot better than acting like mr. big *****. aint that right mr. big *****!!
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
The new turbo Neon looks nice. Very nice. On paper. Now I'm not saying that everything printed about it is false, I just think we need to reserve further judgement and wait until it is actually released to the public before proclaiming it as the end-all of sport compacts. Because right now, arguing about it and engaging in 'magazine racing' is just wasting a lot of time and bandwidth.
Old 12-17-2002
O RLY

1. jbody= firbird, trans am avg hp 300
2. fbody= saturn, cavalier, and other GM sport compact
[hr]
flip that around there chief.

F-body is firebird, trans am.

J-body is cavalier and sunfire.

And just because....

Y-body is corvette.

And hot-body.... kirsten dunst.

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: FocusKiller
OWN3D.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

I have to say, I agree with sonic. This thing reminds me a lot of the original ITR...........I want to test drive one NOW[hr]
How is the Neon SRT-4 anything like the Integra Type R? The R was a naturally-aspirated, limited production vehicle with a hand-ported cylinder head that was quick but definitely not a high hp machine. The R also shined at the track (road course, not drag strip) and had the unique ability to hang with cars on the track that had almost double the amount of hp.

The new Neon has a lot of turbocharged power, but I think it is safe to say that this assembly line mass-produced vehicle will not approach the R's ability as a track car. Of course, we should all wait until the car is actually out before comparing it to a vehicle with such a rich heritage as the ITR.

Quick Reply: Dont read ricer mags? Neither do I, so this should be new for you.