General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

civic LX any potential??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
takadadojo is an unknown quantity at this point
civic LX any potential??????

Yeah with the civic LX is their any potential in it, the engine is not vtec!!!!!!

Well i know to get cams, headers, intake, catback, how much extra horse power will i get from that 15-20 hrs power extra probably, Anyways, I'm considering getting a turbo kit, do u think i'm wasting my money??? U guys have any other options please help me!
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

KurupTLX is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe that the difference in horsepower between an LX and an EX on a dyno is less than 5hp. SOHC VTEC is nothing

K-lx
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

Ok so why do people rate vtech so high u know????
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

kurupt can see the specs on ur car, just want to see what u did to the engine maybe it will give me some better ideas. It just kills me to death when i see neon's beating me.
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: takadadojo
Ok so why do people rate vtech so high u know????[hr]
DOHC VTEC, something EX's def do not have... My main reason for getting an EX is they have a lot of little extra features and they come standard w/power moonroofs[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

EDIT: IF/when turbo ever comes out for our cars, the DX/LX are pretty well set for that.(EX/HX too, just not QUITE as much boost)... May be a while for that to happen, but if you're willing to spend at least $1500-$2000, you will get a bunch of horsies from that. Besides, be glad you're getting 35-40mpg! Even if you would turbocharge your vic and beat neons, you'll just be complaining that you can't beat WRX's and V8's then[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

ricerocket is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]DOHC VTEC, something EX's def do not have... My main reason for getting an EX is they have a lot of little extra features and they come standard w/power moonroofs[hr]
true....and the VTECh isn't even that loud in our D17's
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

KurupTLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Specs on my car isn't gonna do anything for you... im basicly stock... i have the knowledge, but no money to use it...
However i do know that an LX can take a Neon quite easily

K-lx
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

well teh new neons that are coming out are sick....
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

so kurupt so is it advisable for now to go with heads, cams, intake and exhaust for now. is their anything else u can recommend for me to increase my house power???
Old 07-25-2002

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
NOS will give ya 50 hp
Pullies, headers, air intake about 15hp
Lihgt weight wheels will help to get dose hp's to the road efficiently.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE PICS
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
This LX has no problem burrying 7th Gen EXs... know why?

This is BLUENVY01's ride. He's got SRI, HP headers and GReddy EVO exhaust with lightweight 18s.

The reason why his car is so fast is because of his high flow cat converter (which I told him to get) [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]. The HP headers he got came with the high flow cat. It's VERY nice. This is what happens when he raced an EX with an intake and exhaust. By 1st gear it's pretty equal, by 2nd gear once he reaches 5,000 RPMs he starts pulling on you... by 3rd gear his LX pulls even more...

So for anyone I'd say get a high flow cat if you want performance. (It also makes the engine sound better I think.) Seems like lately everyone's aware that I/H/E ain't cutting it... upgrading the ECU works but who wants to dump $800-$1k for a chip right now?

Only catch is the high flow cat makes your car illegal. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: SoNiCcIvIcOnly catch is the high flow cat makes your car illegal. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][hr]
not necessarily, i think laws change for this state by state. In PA I know as a fact right now you're not even required to have a cat on your car at all!(dad used to do state inspections and is now manager of those who do) The catch, in PA anyways, is that a mechanic isn't by law allowed to touch the cat unless it's broken. If it's broken, they can do anything they want with it. Retarded? yes.... but anyways, PA it's legal to an extent, just for all of ya that care[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

I suspect that the stock cat is one of the things that restricts flow and makes the 7th gens slow as snails. Cat converter is a huge player in emittions so it's gotta be super constrictive or something, so swapping a hi-flow one in there not only allows exhaust to flow more freely through there, but will actually allow the car to take the rest of the exhaust system and intake to it's full potential. I may be wrong here, but that's just my $.02
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

You are right and you are wrong. You are correct about that the cat converter in your state isn't required... BUT... I live in Cali. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] We have the most restricted emissions law. You must have a cat converter that measures up to the emissions law. Here in Cali, aftermarket catalytic converter would contribute to destroying the air.

It's funny that my friend says our cars already have high flow cats. I dunno if it does or not but it appears to be very restrictive and your theory is right. It actually puts our mods for IHE to use. This is nothing new though. At least we can finally get the torque gains from intake-headers-exhaust.

I was talking to Jason (the owner of that Electron Blue Pearl 7th Gen) and he's now trying to figure out how to get more fuel to the engine. I suggested an ECU upgrade, but who on this site has upgraded their ECU yet? AEM and JET have them.

EDIT: If I were you, I'd take advantage of getting a high flow cat. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-25-2002
FIJI-STEVE IS THE OFFICIAL 7THGEN QUEER

Civicster should not be trusted
you know if u bought all that u only gain about 10hp for about $1000. but if u woulda used that when u bought ur civic. u woulda got a vtec engine. moonroof. color body panels. cd and all those goodies. not to mention ex badge... stop wasting money modding..
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

revitcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

UMMM, is that your excuse for your stock a$$ sedan??

ohhh, did I say that?
I meant....It's our bizz were we spend our money. We know that our little burners are slow as hell. but who cares??
Who here doesn't like to put on a mod, wash and wax, and take the Vic out for a spin, and have some heads turning?

That's what "Pimping at it's Best" is REALLY about.

PS.
Stuff that comes with the car is NOT pimp
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

sonic civic, holy crap, ur civic is fricken awesome
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SoNiCcIvIc
This LX has no problem burrying 7th Gen EXs... know why?

This is BLUENVY01's ride. He's got SRI, HP headers and GReddy EVO exhaust with lightweight 18s.

The reason why his car is so fast is because of his high flow cat converter (which I told him to get) [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]. The HP headers he got came with the high flow cat. It's VERY nice. This is what happens when he raced an EX with an intake and exhaust. By 1st gear it's pretty equal, by 2nd gear once he reaches 5,000 RPMs he starts pulling on you... by 3rd gear his LX pulls even more...

So for anyone I'd say get a high flow cat if you want performance. (It also makes the engine sound better I think.) Seems like lately everyone's aware that I/H/E ain't cutting it... upgrading the ECU works but who wants to dump $800-$1k for a chip right now?

Only catch is the high flow cat makes your car illegal. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][hr]
I don't believe he is burying ex's because he has a high-flow cat. Maybe beating them would be a better choice of words. Also, that car would be a lot faster w/o those so called light-weight 18" wheels...ROFLMAO

He would probably see a 1/2 sec improvement in his quarter mile time if he went down to a light-weight 15" or 16" wheel. I guarantee you that his 18" light-weight combo weighs a good bit more than the stock tire/wheel combo.

Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

must turbo cars, when hooked up uses a hi flow cat its only around $150 and it great with a 3' system
Old 07-25-2002

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Is the combination of mods with the high flow cat that makes your car faster.
But not so fast to bury any one, our cars are slow, the only way you will get some significant power is with Nitrous or Turbo, and even with all this equipment our D engines are design to peak 200 HP, more boost or bigger shoot of nitrous will blow up you engine.
I use a dual stage 50 shoot NOS in combination with Pullies, intake , headers, high flow cat and 2.75" pipe, I'm pulling about 175 - 180 hps to the wheels and running (not burying) up there with camaros and Stangs.

I belive that our CPU's are programable, and it dosen't required a chip.
But I might be wrong, I have not done this mod yet.
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay, the Dyno proves that Si(EX) is only about 2 Hp more than LX,
also the VTEC in the D17, just get better fuel economy....so basically LX gets less mileage than the Si(EX)...

I went against a Si(EX) and my LX (auto)was tied with the guy....i also raced against my friends 1.7 EL (EX civic sedan) and both our cars were head to head... for about 5 lights! so i dun think Vtec in our D17 are a big deal
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

[hr]I use a dual stage 50 shoot NOS in combination with Pullies, intake , headers, high flow cat and 2.75" pipe, I'm pulling about 175 - 180 hps to the wheels [hr]
Isn't 2.75 a little too much? i thought most n/a cars maxed out at 2.25 or else they would be losing power...
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
I don't believe he is burying ex's because he has a high-flow cat. Maybe beating them would be a better choice of words. Also, that car would be a lot faster w/o those so called light-weight 18" wheels...ROFLMAO

He would probably see a 1/2 sec improvement in his quarter mile time if he went down to a light-weight 15" or 16" wheel. I guarantee you that his 18" light-weight combo weighs a good bit more than the stock tire/wheel combo.[hr]
I never meant to say his wheels gave him more performance. If anything, common sense says bigger wheels = less HP. I agree that if he went with smaller rims, he WOULD go faster but he also wants his car to be a show car as well. We'll see how I fair against him when I get my high flow cat. (And if I have rims, I'm not going over 16. I say f*** show.)

If people could make their cars go faster with just I/H/E, then this thread wouldn't even be here as we know it's hard to get a fair gain from our engines with those 3 mods. If it ain't his cat converter that makes his car pull WITH 18s, then I don't know what else it could be unless he sprinkled magic on his engine or somethin.

Bah, you don't need VTEC, you need TORQUE. That's what the I/H/E is for.

EDIT: I guess "bury" would be an overstatement. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] Muahahahaha, I just think it sounds funny. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Civicster
you know if u bought all that u only gain about 10hp for about $1000. but if u woulda used that when u bought ur civic. u woulda got a vtec engine. moonroof. color body panels. cd and all those goodies. not to mention ex badge... stop wasting money modding..[hr]
let them spend their money any damn way they want to[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] You can get by with a 13" tv, but some people like to go with a 72", so what? You can go with McDonald's extra value menu, but some people would rather spend $25 on a meal sometimes. Modding cars is a hobby for many ppl and it ain't your money so let people express themselves and get whatever the hell they please

(well said revitcivic[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] )
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Civicster
you know if u bought all that u only gain about 10hp for about $1000. but if u woulda used that when u bought ur civic. u woulda got a vtec engine. moonroof. color body panels. cd and all those goodies. not to mention ex badge... stop wasting money modding..[hr]
Don't be a d*ck.
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: takadadojo
sonic civic, holy crap, ur civic is fricken awesome[hr]
That's not my Civic, that's my rival. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] He's on my team. If you click the BLUENVY01 link I posted in my first post, you'll see the stats to that car. The guy who owns it is named Jason.
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
hey sonic, i have a question about this guys car, he has a coupe but the RS grill is on his car did he have to modify anything to make it fit or did it just fit right in?

Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

The grill should just fit right in if I'm not mistaken. He's the second person to have that grille.
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
Jason's (blueeny01) Lx cicvic beat me when we raced when I was in SanFran.(I know how to drive too)
I have 01 ex 5speed. I had a passenger, and huge system but still. I was way suprised.
When ever I get some cash, thats one mod I'll own.
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

ok what Intake, headers, and catback would u recommend street legal of course???
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point

[hr][/QUOTE]

Is it just me or this guy's VIc is Ultra high? i mean i have stock springs but my ride is much lower....are those 18's he has on?
that looks like i can stick mah head under, my ride i can't even put my head under to look at the underbody....

Quick Reply: civic LX any potential??????