General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

pissed off a cop and now.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmythngdmb is an unknown quantity at this point
pissed off a cop and now.....

I know there have plenty of questions about the loudness of exhausts but here is my deal. I have a universal muffler with no resonator so its really friggin loud. Well the other day i was going kinda fast in the school lot and an off-duty officer went buck nutty on me and said that "I'd better hope he doesn't see me on the street." He is an *** who has things against rice burners, most of them are. The only thing he could get me on is the muffler so I was wondering if you guys think the Thermal R&D stealth system is quiet enough to keep me out of trouble. i'm sick of paying fines and dealing with the fu*king cops. They have nothing better to do than pick on people around here and I know i will eventually get it. I guess I'm just gonna start cooperating, I'll be able to sleep better. thanx guys
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

QCKSILVR is an unknown quantity at this point
I find loud mufflers obnoxious. Would you want to hear that loud noise all around your neighborhood? I'm a firm believer that anyone should be able to do whatever they want to their cars, but I don't think it's fair to the residents of a particular neighborhood that have to put up with the loud noise of an exhaust. Despite popular opinion, laws do exist prohibiting "harsh and unreasonable" noise for a reason. I don't care about mufflers that make a little bit of noise; I just can't stand the ones that sound like a monster explosion when someone accelerates--those are the cars that I stop.

In any event, you admit that your muffer is "really friggin loud," so it's your best bet to just swap it out to something a little quieter so that you don't attract the attention of this cop or any others.
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

form3hide is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]They have nothing better to do than pick on people around here [hr]
Are you an oxy-moron? If you have something illegal, they have every right to stop you. Even if its the smallest thing... geez...
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

01SOHCcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like your Muffler is annoying as hell
no wonder why the cop pulled you over
i mean if i was a cop i would of done the same thing

BTW you also stated your muffler is really loud.....IMO i think your just asking for it
if its that "LOUD"
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]BTW you also stated your muffler is really loud.....IMO i think your just asking for it[hr]
Very true.
Old 06-05-2002
FIJI-STEVE IS THE OFFICIAL 7THGEN QUEER

Civicster should not be trusted
newbi status should stay forever untill they wise up
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

HippyCivicEX012 is an unknown quantity at this point
once a cop sees a car thats hooked up, all they wanna do is pull u, stereotype, they thing were drugies or what have u its all bs
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

JKEEZO is an unknown quantity at this point
i could not agree any more with you guys, but you know what i do not understand??

why is it legal for freaking Harley's to ride around with their extremely loud exhausts but a less noisy civic is illegal

i dont like loud exhausts though, thats why i bought my magnaflow
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

I go after cycles too if I think theres something wrong.
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
get the magnaflow......hell my intake is louder than that thing.....
Old 06-05-2002
spoiledsteph

ok i gotta quick question for qksilver......are all aftermarket exhausts illegal? thats what my friend told me... do cops just mainly get the ones that are loud? and since they are just fix it tickets (right?) i jsut gotta go to the DMV and get it signed off, right?
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

JustRobIt is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe it didn't help that you were going "kinda fast" through a schoolzone, which isn't the brightest thing in the world to do. And from what I've been told, aftermarket mufflers aren't illegal as long as they stay under a certain decimal level.
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

slammed2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
All i can say is LEAVE THE GODDAMNNN RESIGNATOR ON AND IT WON'T BE SO LOUD!
AND ALSO YOU WON'T HAVE THAT ANNOYING FARTING SOUND EITHER [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
I luv my AROSPEED, me and most of my friends have it,they always sound good [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

Steph, the law pretty much allows for the summonsing of harsh and unreasonable noise. So if the muffler isn't overly loud, then it shouldn't attract any attention and wouldn't constitute unreasonable noise. It's impossible to gage the specific decibal of a particular sound output without an expensive meter, and no police department equips eqch officer with one, so the officer has to use his/her judgement.

In New York, if you are issued summonses for equipment violations (most of NYS VTL Section 375), then you can bring your vehicle to any police agency and have them sign a sheet that you can submit to the court to have the summons dismissed. I am not sure about what other states do, but a muffler summons is an equipment violation.

And the speeding in a school zone which someone else pointed out, isn't a good idea.
Old 06-06-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I remember school zones in Oregon they are like really expensive if you are speeding through them and get pulled over. So I watch those and also construction zones too since they are double fines now just like Oregon is and if I was a cop I would hang out in those zones too. But yeah I hate those exhausts that sound like a huge faurt and are just loud. But I am glad to see they are starting to jump on bikes because I was wondering if they ever got busted for too loud of pipes.

Nick
Old 06-06-2002
Registered!!

BlueMeanie is an unknown quantity at this point
one cool thing about bham....cops cant stop you for having loud exhausts...and if they do stop you, they usually comment on how good it sounds...cops up here love ricers....i dont know why...most prefer them,,,the style i guess
Old 06-06-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
i have an N1 with no resonator
and i know my exhuast is very loud
but i have the decency of not booting it
u deserved what u got. i ve had plenty of cops follow me but i would not gas up fast and i never go higher that 3K RPM unless im on the highway.
u must have had it at 4 to 7k rpm for some one to say that!
Old 06-06-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish some of the cops out there that pull people over for having loud exhausts on their cars do the same for bikes. I know that yes having them on a car can get annoying, espically if you live in the city in a quiet neighbourhood, but people with Harlys that are twice as loud are just as bad. I cant stand them.
But if you want a quiet and still nice looking exhaust then go for the Magnaflow, I did and I love it, it looks nice and sounds great and if you really want you can still make noise with them by comming on to the gas.
Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: slammedcivic
All i can say is LEAVE THE GODDAMNNN RESIGNATOR ON AND IT WON'T BE SO LOUD!
AND ALSO YOU WON'T HAVE THAT ANNOYING FARTING SOUND EITHER [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
I luv my AROSPEED, me and most of my friends have it,they always sound good [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][hr]
If I were to leave my stock resonator in, I wouldn't have changed my exhaust at alll.........At least put in a high flow resonator........Or just go with the magnaflow.....
Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

takadadojo is an unknown quantity at this point
check or talk to ur mechanic and ask if its obides by the laws, because sometimes cops r stupid ****es and have nothing better to do,
Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

HeRbaLuS is an unknown quantity at this point
so the magnaflow is a decent exhaust just gotta keep the resonator in then should be quiet
Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: takadadojo
check or talk to ur mechanic and ask if its obides by the laws, because sometimes cops r stupid ****es and have nothing better to do,[hr]
I'll admit that sometimes a cop can be over agressive, but to call them "stupid f-----s" makes you even a bigger one.

Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

Correct. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but cops know more V&T law than a mechanic does, at least in my area.
Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: jmythngdmb
I know there have plenty of questions about the loudness of exhausts but here is my deal. I have a universal muffler with no resonator so its really friggin loud. Well the other day i was going kinda fast in the school lot and an off-duty officer went buck nutty on me and said that "I'd better hope he doesn't see me on the street." He is an *** who has things against rice burners, most of them are. The only thing he could get me on is the muffler so I was wondering if you guys think the Thermal R&D stealth system is quiet enough to keep me out of trouble. i'm sick of paying fines and dealing with the fu*king cops. They have nothing better to do than pick on people around here and I know i will eventually get it. I guess I'm just gonna start cooperating, I'll be able to sleep better. thanx guys[hr]
be thankful its the cops that harass you. if you were driving around my residence a lot, id find your house, wait till night, then demolish your car.

EDIT: for being such a dumba$$ ricer
Old 06-07-2002
Registered!!

GirlRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
i think we all have such an advantage having QCKSILVR as a member of this forum! he tells us like it is! THANKS QCKSILVR!!!