View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
How accurate is my Scangauge HP reading?

My Scanguage shows that I’m making up to about 160 HP at full throttle. However, I don’t think that my modded D17 is making 160 HP. I don’t know how the Scanguage determines power output, but is it reasonably accurate? The car has a 4-1 header, 2.25 inch straight pipe exhaust, custom CAI, Y8 intake manifold, and a Crower stage 1 cam. Could it be making 160 HP?
Old 03-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How accurate is my Scangauge HP reading?

My Scanguage shows that I’m making up to about 160 HP at full throttle.
via Imgflip Meme Generator

If you calculated using GVW that's a reason it's so far off.
Old 03-23-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone

If you calculated using GVW that's a reason it's so far off.
What’s GVW? I didn’t calculate anything manually. I just mean when I floor it, my Scanguage says I’m making up to around 160 HP. Is the HP reading fairly accurate?
Old 03-23-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
I just mean when I floor it, my Scanguage says I’m making up to around 160 HP. Is the HP reading fairly accurate?
No.

How would that thing calculate horsepower in the first place?
Old 03-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No.

How would that thing calculate horsepower in the first place?
I don’t know. The MPG reading is completely accurate. Maybe it’s estimating power based off engine size and RPM?
Old 03-23-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

considering the D17 at 2.5psi barely took me to 150whp, I'd say it's a glorified butt dyno.
Old 03-23-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

custom CAI
That’s not a true CAI that you have. Filter should be down near the fender more. Ingen makes one that i had for my 01.

GVW is Gross Vehicle Weight which using that info with some other engine info it could make an educated guess. That might be crank HP which would make wheel HP lower (more like 130-140). I forget what the % difference is between crank and wheel HP.

What’s stock 120 something? so 130 something might be accurate!! I’m not sure if manufacturers specs are crank or wheel HP.

This says 131 to the wheels:

https://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php
Old 03-23-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

stock D17A2 MT is 110WHP/127BHP
Old 03-23-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Thanks, so the scan gauge is full of shiitake mushrooms!!
Old 03-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I laughed when i saw that option in the scangauge - no way to calculate that without even entering the car's weight
Old 03-23-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by GolNat
Thanks, so the scan gauge is full of shiitake mushrooms!!

Old 03-23-2018
Registered!!

considering the D17 at 2.5psi barely took me to 150whp, I'd say it's a glorified butt dyno.
So about how many HP at the engine? 180?
Old 03-23-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Never got a bhp dyno. Its about a 25% drop from crank to wheels with a stock* d17 (both -a1 and -a2 show that trend. Its really about 22.5%, actually)

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 03-23-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2018
Registered!!

Never got a bhp dyno. Its about a 25% drop from crank to wheels with a stock* d17 (both -a1 and -a2 show that trend. Its really about 22.5%, actually)
Okay, so maybe just under 160 HP at the crank is a reasonable estimate. 160 horsepower at the crank divided by 1.25, for a 25% loss = 128 horsepower at the wheels, which could be fairly accurate. I've heard that the Crower cam gains 25-35 horsepower with I/H/E.
Old 03-23-2018

Okay, so maybe just under 160 HP at the crank is a reasonable estimate. 160 horsepower at the crank divided by 1.25, for a 25% loss = 128 horsepower at the wheels, which could be fairly accurate. I've heard that the Crower cam gains 25-35 horsepower with I/H/E.
Stock A2 engine was only rated at 127HP (wiki) on a good day. That's not whp.

I might believe +10% (~13HP) from the cam even with the other bolt ons (skeptical AF here LOL)

sdaidoji, what do you think your cam added to the base?

A smartphone dyno app might be somewhat useful if you can figure out your correct weight
Old 03-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

No idea, ezone, I had intake when dropped the cam in. It improved a lot. (Small hp/torque to start from anyway. Later header uncorked further (I would imagine stock cam would not get as much improvement with header, based on experience with VW earlier in my life.)

I would dare not estimate accurate numbers unless I put car on dyno, butt cannot estimate even the diameter going in :P
Old 03-23-2018
Prelude Owner

So using the 110 and a 10% increase from Cam I/H/E that’s 121. So 25% of the 160 is 128! Seems like it might get you in the ball park (+-7hp).

I have a G-Meter that claims to tell you HP based off of your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times that it estimates from just calculating G force. It might ask for GVW but it ain’t no Dyno. Even a Dyno is more or less a way to compare how the power has changed.

Run it on a Dyno and compare!!
Old 03-23-2018

Inputting GVW would lead to insanely false high calculation.

Gotta use curb weight+driver+cargo, or actual weight.
Old 03-24-2018
Administrator
Administrator

AEM v2 intake, stage 1 cam, header, downpipe (2.25" piping), and cat back (2.36" piping, chambered muffler) netted me 135ish whp
Old 03-26-2018
Registered!!

Is my new header doing this?

I used to have a DC Sports 4-1 header, but it cracked in several places a few years ago and they wouldn’t honor their warranty. I finally changed it, but I think my engine doesn’t feel right with the new header. I bought a $47 DNA Motoring header, and I instantly noticed that the tubes are quite a bit larger and shorter. I was not expecting any noticible difference in performance though. But with the new header, the engine feels less responsive at low RPMs. When I’m accelerating from a stop, the car feels slower and it takes more gas to get it going, like the car is now heavier. However, once it’s moving, it doesn’t really feel much different. Could the new header do this, or is this probably a coincidence? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2018

Re: Is my new header doing this?

Study up on exhaust tuning
Old 03-26-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

and reset ECU - it's still learning new setup, reset could fasten process.
Old 03-26-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
and reset ECU - it's still learning new setup, reset could fasten process.
Great idea. I already did.
Old 03-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Take it to a dyno, do a run, put the old one back on and run it again.

Otherwise pop open a beer and talk about how good your car used to be.
Old 03-28-2018
Registered!!

What happens if you brake torque too long?

I got into a debate with a friend on what happens if you put the trans in drive, stand on the brake and floor the gas until something happens. He said the transmission will self destruct in seconds before it even has a chance to overheat, and I said it would quickly overheat and die as a result of overheating. What would happen, and how long would it take? I know that nothing bad happens if you only do it for 1-2 seconds, but what about longer?
Old 03-28-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Re: What happens if you brake torque too long?

test...
Old 03-28-2018
Registered!!

test...
nope...
Old 03-28-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

You wanted to know so badly that you posted in the internet for the whole world to know, right?

Commit to it. Don't stop until it blows out. Don't be a sissy.
Old 03-28-2018
Registered!!

You wanted to know so badly that you posted in the internet for the whole world to know, right?

Commit to it. Don't stop until it blows out. Don't be a sissy.
I don't want to know so badly that I'd destroy my transmission to find out.
Old 03-28-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Then don't post stupid threads.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave