General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Best brake pads, rotors, stop rust, paint rotors

Old 02-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torontopaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Best brake pads, rotors, stop rust, paint rotors

I want to know how to protect rotors from getting rusty. I see totaly different statements online about products to use from sprays, zinc spray, painting them. Some say to paint only the inner circle and other sites say to paint the outside brim of the rotor, or its okay to paint the whole thing with proper paint. I know you cant use wd40 on rotors but there has to be a way to prevent rusting.
Any products like sprays good to use?

2nd question

Whats the best rotors to buy? Material?
online I read there are 6 kinds of rotors,
ceramic, high carbon, steel, layered steel, aluminum or the standard Iron.
Which lasts the longest, more durable, reliable?
Any special brands?

3rd question
Which are the best brake pads to use?
Online it says there are ceramic and semimetallic brakes. I think it said online ceramic pads are not as good as metallic pads but are noisey. It also says ceramic pads are not good for cold temperatures.

I live in Canada where its freezing cold in winter and lots of snow and salt on the road that eats away at everything and causes rust on every part of the car. Which is why drivers get undercoatings done every couple years.

I am also asking because my gf just took her Elantra to get pads and rotors.

When I buy a civic I want to get premium parts because of the harsh conditions and would rather pay more to get parts that last longer.
Old 02-20-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Best brake pads, rotors, stop rust, paint rotors

Originally Posted by Torontopaul
When I buy a civic I want to get premium parts because of the harsh conditions and would rather pay more to get parts that last longer.
OEM is best and was designed to work in all of North America.

I use OEM pads and get Platinum grade rotors from parts store. Always worked well for me.
Old 02-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know how to protect rotors from getting rusty.
Drive it daily, the brake pads are designed to 'scrub' the light surface rust off the rotors that developed overnight from humidity.

If it's going to sit, don't leave it to get wet or sit in high humidity.

I've seen rotors develop rust spots bad enough to cause shaking and 'kachunk kachunk kachunk' noises that don't go away, after leaving it sit for a weekend after a rain or washing the car on Friday evening.
Old 02-21-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Rotors are chunks of metal.

As long as they don't crack, don't think too hard.

I changed my first time at 120 k miles

Define best for pads. Price? Stopping power? Noise? Life?
Old 02-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Asking what the “best” brake pads and rotors are is asking what the “best” resturant is. There are no “best” brakes for all applications. What’s most important to you? High stopping power? Low dust? Low noise? Long life? We need more information to provide you with an educated answer. For example, I have Hawk HPS ceramic pads and Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and my car stops great. The pedal is very firm too, but I also have steel braided brake lines, so I’m sure that helps. My 2005 Civic stops well enough that I pulled a 2500 pound trailer with it and I still had no problem stopping it. However, the pads make a lot of dust and they aren’t the quietest. To me, more noise and dust is worth it if the car stops better, but you may not feel that way. Also, I am not aware of anything you can do to stop the brake rotors from rusting. Besides, light surface rust is harmless anyway, so don’t worry about it.