Can oil leaking onto the exhaust cause a fire? - Honda Civic Forum

General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice
Can oil leaking onto the exhaust cause a fire?

I cracked the oil pan pan on my 2005 Civic and it is leaking a small amount of oil onto the exhaust pipe, causing smoke. Is this a huge problem? I know that I need to fix it, but it’s cold and rainy here, which is not good weather to be laying under the car. Is it safe to wait to fix this? It is a very small leak. I don’t think that the exhaust on these engines gets hot enough to ignite oil. If it did, I think that these cars would be burning down all the time since it’s impossible to change the oil filter without oil getting on the exhaust. Is this leak a big deal? Thanks.
D17VTECPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
It's like having amnesia and deja vu all at the same time

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can oil leaking onto the exhaust cause a fire?

Yes it can cause a fire.

Will yours? I can't predict the future, but this guy might:
ezone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago we had a recall on a model for an oil leak that could get onto the catalytic converter and start a fire.

A local JizzyLube had a car burn to the ground after doing an oil change where the filter got 'double gasketed' and the resulting leak got onto the cat and started a fire.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Years ago we had a recall on a model for an oil leak that could get onto the catalytic converter and start a fire.

A local JizzyLube had a car burn to the ground after doing an oil change where the filter got 'double gasketed' and the resulting leak got onto the cat and started a fire.
Was the recall on a Honda? Also, the cat gets much hotter than the rest of the system, so oil leaking to the cat is more likely to cause a fire.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER View Post
Was the recall on a Honda?
Yes. 2003-07 Accord V6 power steering hose replacement, and the recall is not really all that old I just hadn't seen any for quite a while..........but since I mentioned it, the schedule at work says I have one to do tomorrow morning LOL
Quote:
Also, the cat gets much hotter than the rest of the system, so oil leaking to the cat is more likely to cause a fire.
True, but not always the case. The exhaust gets hot everywhere.
Can 1000 degrees F start a fire? 800? 600?
A loaded engine can make a manifold glow, don't you think that's hot enough to start a fire?

Other manufacturers have recalls for leaks that can cause a fire.
GM 3.8 V6 valve cover gasket comes to mind right away, and its catalytic converter is not anywhere near problem area:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...5V701-1922.pdf
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Yes. 2003-07 Accord V6 power steering hose replacement, and the recall is not really all that old I just hadn't seen any for quite a while..........but since I mentioned it, the schedule at work says I have one to do tomorrow morning LOL
True, but not always the case. The exhaust gets hot everywhere.
Can 1000 degrees F start a fire? 800? 600?
A loaded engine can make a manifold glow, don't you think that's hot enough to start a fire?

Other manufacturers have recalls for leaks that can cause a fire.
GM 3.8 V6 valve cover gasket comes to mind right away, and its catalytic converter is not anywhere near problem area:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...5V701-1922.pdf
So if I put my engine under a heavy load, I can make the header glow? I never noticed that. Thanks for explaining.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Super Moderator

sdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER View Post
So if I put my engine under a heavy load, I can make the header glow? I never noticed that. Thanks for explaining.
Like when towing another civic with your civic :P (Sorry, couldn't resist - life is like a volleyball game - someone lifts the ball, another is bound to wack it down, LOL!)
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji View Post
Like when towing another civic with your civic :P