General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

How does car start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gulzarh will become famous soon enough
Question How does car start?

HI,
My question is about how car start. I mean when we put key in ignition that what happen,( what part get signal or electricity or become active etc..)
When we turn key to On position than what happen and when arrive to Acc than what?
My car was not starting at all and i was UNABLE to do anything because i dont know where and what to check and how to start and/or bypass in emergency case to arrive at garage at least.
I have paid another 975$ for repair, towing include, Yes 975$.
So if someone is interested to help me to understand in detail i will appreciate it.
i wonder if all vehicle have same starting procedure or different except to start with button and key.
p.-s. i have seen many video on YouTube but non of them are detailed.
Thanks a lot
Old 09-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: How does car start?

Your wording is a bit confusing. Are you saying it's fixed now and you just want to learn what the sequence is for starting an engine? OR are you saying it still needs repair/ still won't start?

First of all what year and model?
Automatic or Manual transmission?
Does it crank but does not run or is it not cranking (starter engaging) at all?
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

It is repaired.
I just want to learn for next time.
Old 09-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gulzarh
It is repaired.
I just want to learn for next time.
Distributorless Ignition System:
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

yeah i know that i already watched many of those kind of video but none of them is clear for me they just go straight forward. thanks anyway
Old 09-21-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know, that was pretty straightforward. If I were to respond to your original question, my answer would have been similar to that video.
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

i dont blame him or someone else here. i just have very poor English so i could not understand what he s saying, like ecu module, for me it is new i dont know what it do in car so if he say electriciy comming from ecu to this that i will be confused and stuck here.
but i am trying to watch some other similar videos to understand little little every day. thaks
Old 09-21-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

just think of everything you do to start a car as a bunch of switches. When you turn the key, it closes a switch, allowing electricity from the battery to go further. In this case, when you turn the key, electricity from the battery is able to get to the ECU

edit: to be completely honest, there are a lot of answers you may get that are going to be much, much more than you would ever need to know. It may end up confusing you more.
Old 09-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

...and when you come across a term that you don't understand, simply type "ECU car" into Google search, and it will likely come up with a good definition. It may even translate it into French for you!

(I have learned A LOT that way, since joining this forum)