General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gearheads Can Keep Repairing Their Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Gearheads Can Keep Repairing Their Cars

I didn't think I needed permission to repair "my" car. The ruling was in favor of us DIYers. Software seemed to be the main area of concern since car manufactures (GM) say that it is copy write material and is being "licensed" to the user.

Full article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/27/c...%3D-1806897675
Old 10-28-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Gearheads Can Keep Repairing Their Cars

Auto makers trying to use the DMCA as a shield is thee most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Old 10-28-2015
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

All auto makers are making it more difficult to work on cars without special training/tools or know how but I don't think they do it on purpose (well maybe the tools). Stricter laws on emissions and safety make it so it needs to be and of course they want a trained dealer tech to work on the vehicle, that is how they can be assured that the user will get the most reliability out of the vehicle. How do we keep people from getting in? Make a special tool for it. You won't find a Honda tech putting green Prestone in a Honda. People always give dealerships a hard time but they know what's best for your vehicle.
Old 10-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and of course they want a trained dealer tech to work on the vehicle,
for minimum wage. (wait, that's what the dealership wants to pay.)

You get what you pay for.
Quite often you don't even get that.

You won't find a Honda tech putting green Prestone in a Honda. People always give dealerships a hard time but they know what's best for your vehicle.
There are places that care nothing about your car nor proper anything. Fixing something is usually accidental.

When a business is run by bean counters, the quality of the bean is irrelevant. Quantity is all that matters.
Old 10-30-2015
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by ezone
for minimum wage. (wait, that's what the dealership wants to pay.)
I assumed dealers would pay higher then that since you have to be an actual mechanic with schooling.

There are places that care nothing about your car nor proper anything. Fixing something is usually accidental.

When a business is run by bean counters, the quality of the bean is irrelevant. Quantity is all that matters.
I was under the impression that all dealers had to follow Honda's business/service recommendations.

The accounting/fiance people always get in the way of things!! I suppose its their job...but let me do mine!!
Old 10-30-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GolNat
I was under the impression that all dealers had to follow Honda's business/service recommendations.
Where I live there is only 1 Honda dealership to service a well over 100 mile radius. I've had a few bad experiences with them now and a lot of other people I talk to have had similar issues. Too bad because I expect more from Honda and their dealerships.

I actually think I got this car because this previous owner had it serviced at that dealership and they told her it needed thousands of dollars worth of work and she should buy a new car....and she did... a Subaru.

Old 10-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolNat
I assumed dealers would pay higher then that since you have to be an actual mechanic with schooling.
A quote for you, C&P from some other forum:

Almost everyone, except those of us who have worked at dealerships, thinks that they hire, train and retain only the best technicians.
........ ... They are no better or worse than independent shops. If the manager and owner hire a bunch of clowns then you end up with a three ring circus.