General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Check Engine - hesitates at 3000rpm on rainy/ humid days

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoon1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check Engine - hesitates at 3000rpm on rainy/ humid days

I have a 2006 Civic EX sedan, I installed a cold air intake soon after i purchased the vehicle. About 2 or 3 times a year, on rainy days, the car hesitates (stutters) as soon as i hit 3 grand, and the check engine light comes. And the problem persists for a few days after. Then its back to normal. Anyone have similar issues? Thanks

Last edited by Spoon1; 11-21-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough
Re: Check Engine - hesitates at 3000rpm on rainy/ humid days

Is your filter clean?
And i remember my cousin's s2000 was doing something like this and it turned out to be a dirty vtec solenoid.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Cleaned, but doesn't ever seem to have rime or reason, just rainy or humid days.
Old 11-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you ever see what the engine light was for? sometimes, enough water gets thru the air filter and can temporarily screw with the MAF sensor in the intake pipe, which can then give false readings to the ecu and affect the a/f ratio.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

I think the air sensor is reporting water. AEM is adamant that slight moister could not be causing the problem. I can drive through a monsoon and it is fine. Or a fog can affect it. I going to get it checked this afternoon.
Old 11-21-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

yea, water is getting in. and it can cause serious problems...its called a hydrolock.

there is a hydolock by pass that AEM sells. look into that.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
yea, water is getting in. and it can cause serious problems...its called a hydrolock.

there is a hydolock by pass that AEM sells. look into that.
Unfortunately, they don't make one that fits my car. Rrrr.. Tried to look into that last year. Any work arounds?
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Oh wait you actually have a true cold air intake that goes all the way to the bottom of your motor. If so then yes hydrolock could be the problem. If its a short intake then a little rain should not cuase hydrolock unless your runing over giant puddles of water and have no splash cover.(the one that covers the bottom of your motor)
Old 11-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

can you convert to a short ram? to be honest you will not notice any difference in power.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
Is your filter clean?
And i remember my cousin's s2000 was doing something like this and it turned out to be a dirty vtec solenoid.
No vtec. Just the EX. Is there something similar do you know? AEM has recommended a filter cover to help keep out any moisture. Not sure, but will try anything. Thanks
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

trixman is an unknown quantity at this point

This will sound wierd but I had a friend that had a similar issue on rainy days. Turns out the timing belt cover was letting moisture in and affecting the rubber belt. Once he changed the timing belt and sealed up the TB cover with a proper gasket, the issue went away.