General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What did you do to your civic today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What did you do to your civic today?

Dyno Sheet pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171212_171417.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	111860  
Old 12-13-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Oh damn. Nice. Odd to see a higher torque number than HP number on a civic. lol
Old 12-14-2017
Registered!!

piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

And then there was a clatter on the drive home and the engine stopped running...i think i dropped a valve

I pulled the valve cover and didn't see anything visually wrong, but that's not saying much. Pulled all the accessory belts hoping maybe the ac or alternator locked up...nope, everything still spins.

The engine did start up with a bunch of clatter coming from the what appears to be the top of the engine specifically near the cam pulley side....

No matter what happened, i'm pulling the engine and starting the big build project! going after 300+ HP!!!!!
Old 12-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^ Cam pulley bolt isn't tight? ^
Old 12-14-2017
Registered!!

It might have come loose...

We also have to keep in mind, this engine has 265,000 miles on it.
Everything is original except for the water pump, oil pump, injectors, cam gear, time belt, and Head studs.

When i installed the AEM cam gear, I tighten the **** out of it along with using red locktight. It might have come loose...but i highly doubt it. This is on the check list of checking when tearing down.

Also, on the dyno we ran this at 7,000 rpms....

So there is a laundry list of items that could have let loose.

I will be documenting everything on my Ktuner and the D17 thread after then engine is pulled out.
Old 12-17-2017
Registered!!

Rod bearing melted to the rod end
Old 12-18-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Found a decal laying around from when I had a run of them made. Decided to christen Miyuki with a blessing from the forum.

Name:  QzhOraU.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  475.9 KB

Before anyone asks, I do not have any more laying around. I still have the vector files somewhere though. PM me if you want it, and I'll discuss the intricacies via PM. Maybe I'll run it up to Civicforums IB staff to see if there's a way to have decals available through a forum store or something. Slight tangent, I remember back when 7thgencivic.com (what civicforums was before the site sale) had a store and you could buy decals, license plate frames, t-shirts, etc.. I still have a shirt or 2 laying around from the good ol' days. lol
Old 12-19-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

ooh nice
I would be interested in a sticker or 2
Old 12-19-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Found a decal laying around from when I had a run of them made. Decided to christen Miyuki with a blessing from the forum.

Before anyone asks, I do not have any more laying around. I still have the vector files somewhere though. PM me if you want it, and I'll discuss the intricacies via PM. Maybe I'll run it up to Civicforums IB staff to see if there's a way to have decals available through a forum store or something. Slight tangent, I remember back when 7thgencivic.com (what civicforums was before the site sale) had a store and you could buy decals, license plate frames, t-shirts, etc.. I still have a shirt or 2 laying around from the good ol' days. lol
mine, just for the fun
outlined, black inside, so matches the car color

Name:	sticker.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	111883  
Old 12-19-2017
Administrator
Administrator

That one was the most expensive one bc metallic vinyl. Theres a layer of silver exposed between the black and red
Old 12-20-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

That one was the most expensive one bc metallic vinyl. Theres a layer of silver exposed between the black and red
But fit so well, as I pictured, worth every penny

Was I the only one to place it on the body?
Old 02-10-2018
Administrator
Administrator

On today's edition of "Josh said he wasn't gonna mess with the new Civic but keeps doing **** anyways," I present to you something from across the pond. Apparently, the 10thgens were equipped with engine side covers to cover up the 4-6" dead space between the engine bay and the fender. Why they nixxed it for the US release is beyond me. For Honda OEM from the UK, it'd cost like $200. Hell no. I found aftermarket OEM fit ones on Amazon for $55 shipped. That'll do pig, that'll do.

first things first, a before pic. I snapped this when I installed my HIDs to showcase where I mounted the ballasts. You can see the aforementioned dead space, and they used said space on the passenger side to house the windshield washer fluid reservoir. The other side is straight up empty. Don't mind the red arrow. That was for another question I had way back when.
Name:  Y615L7nl.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  71.1 KB Name:  n3y7e9Bl.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  60.5 KB

And here's a pic from 5 minutes ago
Name:  9lCBBCL.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.07 MB

The Amazon listing said it came with hardware, but that ended up being a buncha malarkey. Pep boys had nylon screw-type rivets and they fit nicely. Also had to drill a 1/4" hole in the passenger side radiator support. Instead of using paint to seal it up, I grabbed a gun bluing pen to make a nice little black oxide layer to protect it, then put the screw-type nylon rivet in place. Look OEM AF, yo
Old 02-10-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Also decided to turn an old Sparco seat into an office chair. Second time ever welding (first time was yesterday and I ran practice beads on some scrap steel). Not bad for a beginner, IMO. If any of you welding veterans have any tips for a newbie like me, feel free to bestow your knowledge upon me (like how to minimize the damn splatter. lol). I was using a flux-core gas-less welder (.035" wire), and used the settings suggested on the machine, tweaked a bit (1/8" steel, wire feed rate 55in/min, arc voltage 17-17.5V).

Name:  JhVtMQ9l.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  35.9 KB
Seat is faded and beat to ****, but it's comfy as all hell.

Name:  PARagz7.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  789.3 KB
All my weld joints look about like this. This might've been one of the better ones.
Old 02-10-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

(like how to minimize the damn splatter. lol). I was using a flux-core gas-less welder
This is the reason it spatters. Use MIG instead (if possible)
Old 02-10-2018
Administrator
Administrator

I figured that was the case. Saw the same issue with flux core torch brazing. I didn't know if I was doing something wrong or not. Unfortunately, my pops is too cheap to buy gas tanks for his MIG welder, so I was stuck with what I used. Good to know that I'm on the right track, at least. At least I know how to use an angle grinder to level things out
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Felix ES1 is an unknown quantity at this point

New headlight LEDs cause i couldnt see in the night at all
Old 02-12-2018

I figured that was the case. Saw the same issue with flux core torch brazing. I didn't know if I was doing something wrong or not. Unfortunately, my pops is too cheap to buy gas tanks for his MIG welder, so I was stuck with what I used. Good to know that I'm on the right track, at least. At least I know how to use an angle grinder to level things out
I can't say much, I got the dirt cheap China Freight flux core welder
Old 04-06-2018
Registered!!

Almost finished with the newest edition of my turbo build.
Waiting on a few things...

New fuel pump. (should be in early next week)
800cc injectors come in today.
exhaust to be tig welded this weekend by a buddy of mine.
Cleanup wiring looms and reroute vacuum lines.

Oh yeah...tune...lol

Name:	20180327_071458.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	112108   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180403_202005.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	112109   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180327_194548.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	112110   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180404_071514.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	112111  
Old 04-23-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

"Doctor Cosmo Kramer, proctology."
Old 05-10-2018

Refinished the rims, need to find my tire shine
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Car looks nice and clean!
Old 05-10-2018

Originally Posted by piano55man
Car looks nice and clean!
Thanks! Got it from my grandfather 2 Decembers ago, he didn't drive much
Old 06-04-2018
Registered!!

Exhaust thru the hood finished!

Name:	20180603_180406.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	112282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_183100.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	112283  
Old 12-21-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Had a go at vinyl wrapping today .not bad for $8
Old 12-21-2018
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your civic today?

nice!!!
Old 12-21-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Looks great!! Nice price too.

Piano55 the hood exhaust looks great too!!
Old 12-21-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry. Was mistaken on the price.. It was $5 for the 12" x 12" sheet of 3M 1080 carbon fiber vinyl.. shipped. From Amazon.

That vinyl is pretty forgiving stuff

edit:
here's a link to what I bought, for anyone that wants to give it a go here's a link to what I bought, for anyone that wants to give it a go
. Now that I have some experience with it, I'm probably gonna do my outer door pillars with the same stuff. A 1' x 5' roll, with toolkit, I found on Amazon for $22 shipped

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 02-21-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: I'm dumb and forgot to link it
Old 02-21-2019
Administrator
Administrator

5500k LED high beams went in today. It also snowed last night here in Vegas.

Yesterday, installed an OEM Accord Homelink module in my overhead map light console.

A few days ago, LED turn signals went in, along with V-LEDs VLR-3 load resistors (one per side). Now my turn signals are bight af with that instant-on look, and no hyperflash.

Some weeks ago, did an ECU flash tune (KTuner v1.2 -- car's now pushing 21psi boost and ~215hp/260tq from a stock 180hp/185tq)
Old 02-21-2019
Registered!!

nice!
Old 04-11-2019
Administrator
Administrator

I ran into a box on the road that had a very familiar question mark on it.. then these appeared on my center console

Someone's about to get f'd in the a

Edit: also "down-tuned" to the 18psi map. Figured I'd save a bit of fuel on my short commutes.

note full boost at 80% throttle.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your civic today?