General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What did you do to your civic today?

Old 05-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: What did you do to your civic today?

Mounted an LED tail light to the roof. The LED light is actually off a newer ford Mustang/Fushion but with some modifications it's on the civic. On the Fords it must sit into a recessed area and the windshield is molded around it. It looks kind of goofy because it stands up so high but doesn't look terrible from far away. I'm waiting for the sun to go down to see how it looks at night.

Name:  IMG_3760.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  272.0 KB

more up close

Name:  IMG_3759.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  151.2 KB

from the drivers door
Name:  IMG_3758.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  204.0 KB
Old 05-21-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty neat. You could put one of those rear visors on and hide it under that, or fab it into it.
Old 05-21-2017
Registered!!

Night time view

Name:  IMG_3762.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  153.8 KB
Old 05-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
Night time view

That looks darn bright, attention getter for sure

Now make it do like Knight Rider LOL

Old 05-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That looks darn bright, attention getter for sure

Now make it do like Knight Rider LOL

hahaha. I wouldn't disgrace KIT by putting him in a civic. He's not turbo jumping over **** in this thing!
Old 05-26-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

memorial day holiday things to do:

broken rear bumper (someone hit it when it was parked)

P0420 solution - need do emissions now that the 3 month travel is done. O2 sensors will go at same time for safety

hello, kity, kityy, kitty, come here to your new home
i know you cats love a box, but time to come out, kitty!

Name:  20170526_141159_zpsa7ri8hlp.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  275.8 KB

Name:  20170425_154012_zpsk0e3mwzu.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  388.2 KB

Name:  20170425_154004_zpsaddcsemd.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  465.3 KB

Name:  20170427_160008_zpsr8y93hiu.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  548.3 KB
Old 06-08-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

100 miles complete for readiness codes, emissions aaaand: Pass!!!

culprit! I had it in the back in case they asked me if i fixed the problem

Name:  20170608_152627_zpsf08wmfm3.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  365.7 KB
Old 06-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Sweet!!!!
Old 06-08-2017
Registered!!

piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Since the upstream 02 sensor went out and i'm looking to turbo the car anyways....why not replace it with a digital one! BTW i have a beta ecu in my D17 that is programmable...more details to come in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170608_133316.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	89900  
Old 06-20-2017
Registered!!

Gonna have a smoother ride tomorrow going to work!

Name:	20170620_131726.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	89923  
Old 06-20-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by piano55man
Gonna have a smoother ride tomorrow going to work!
NICE.. I'm jealous!
Old 06-22-2017
Registered!!

I initially had adjustable coil overs on stock shocks...works, but the ride is horrible.

Swapped to these bad boys and now I feel like a race car. Not much travel, stiff but not neck killing stiff...which is what exactly what i wanted.
Lowered about 2.5 ".

I'm about 75% sure i want to convert this car over to race NASA. So these are a good start.

On to the head gasket tonight in prep of the turbo.
Old 06-26-2017
Registered!!

Swapped out the head gasket!

So i did the tricky version of getting the engine to TDC, marking the belts, and pulling the cam gear off without removing any motor mounts or lower pullies...
Pulled the head with the intake in tack, cleaned everything up, installed new OEM gasket, and reinstalled everything.

Everything seems to be running with better temp control yesterday and this morning going to work!
Old 07-19-2017
GOT SAND?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Front brake job: installed new pads & rotors.
Old 08-02-2017
HondasAreSeXaY

HondasFueknRULE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SilkyCivic
Thought this would be a cool thread to start up.

New blacked out grill, cold air intake, cleaned up.
It sure is!

I took it out on the back roads, got underneath it and breathed the exhaust. Man, they sure are clean nowadays... I couldn't smell one iota of HC or gases. Sucks. At least with my old car, I could smell some of the gorgeous burning gasoline. Sad to see my 97' go . I could not BELIEVE the force of the exhaust. I burned myself on the exhaust. My nose and my mouth were burned bad but it made me absolutely !!! I got back in the car, could hear her purr and absolutely . It was sad to see the old one go... From a cold start, it smelled absolutely mesmerizing... My readouts were 0.00% CO, HC and NOX. Meaning, I don't think it would produce enough Carbon Monoxide to asphyxiate me, even with a pipe running into the cabin. It's a real shame because this is the way I always wanted to go. So sick of life but I don't think a full gas tank in my Civic would even come close to killing me... It's sad but at the same time, kinda sexy to see all those clean exhaust gases come flying out!!!
Old 11-29-2017
Registered!!

Starting phase 2 of my turbo build...

Name:	20171128_080748.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	111834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171128_080730.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	111835  
Old 11-29-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by piano55man
Starting phase 2 of my turbo build...
wow, you really been busy! nice going there, bud!
Old 11-29-2017
Registered!!

Thanks!
BTW the stock D17a1 is holding 10 lbs of boost all day long with a beta Ktuner ecu. (265,000 miles)
looking to finish this P&P project, swap to the A2 head w/stage 1 cam.

Phase 3 will be the forged bottom end.
Old 12-01-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Last night, did map light door mode mod. Still gotta take pics for the DIY guide I wrote up.

Today, received Morimoto H11 HID kit and installed it. Went PnP route for now, since I have stock projectors. Figured glare wouldn't be a huge issue because they're not reflectors. Plus, saw some OEM projector cutoffs and they were fairly respectable. Night shots to come when the sun goes away. For now, I'll show you guys my ballast/relay mounting locations. Not a huge fan of my relay mounting locations, but the FK7 engine bay is so damn cramped that there wasn't any good real estate to mount them. I'm not quite in the mindset to want to drill into anything just yet. Later down the road maybe, but not now. Tried to shove the relays between the fuse box and the support running adjacent, but TRS's waterproof relay design made them a hair too bulky to fit

Driver's side ballast and relays. Wires semi-neatly organized behind the driver's side headlight
Name:  n3y7e9B.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  100.0 KB

Passenger side ballasts
Name:  Y615L7n.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  1.24 MB

Made sure everything was tucked away as neatly as possible for a clean look

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 12-19-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

As promised, night shots

The cutoff. Not sharp like a retrofit/OEM HIDs, but respectable considering they're halogen projectors. Spot of light above the main cutoff is to "gently" light up signs and stuff. Sqirrel finder is what other people been calling it online.
Name:  WAU2yuZ.jpg
Size:  478.4 KB

Beam pattern against a parallel wall. Again, not terribly sharp, but respectable. Foglights are on, hence the splashes of yellow light high up on the wall.
Name:  H5CTwtb.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  244.1 KB

Output with me standing between the headlights. Actual output looks better in person.
Name:  SbhMQXi.jpg
Size:  258.8 KB

From the driver's seat
Name:  MnY2eGN.jpg
Size:  149.7 KB

And with fogs on
Name:  ZDha6Zu.jpg
Size:  178.8 KB

Kinda over the shoulder look.
Name:  5NZy5Lo.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  183.0 KB

And the same with the fogs on
Name:  piuiRjc.jpg
Size:  423.4 KB

Cell phone camera just doesn't do it justice. Gonna make me bust out the DSLR and stuff.
Name:  rEWdUZA.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  171.2 KB

Overall impressions: great light output, but kind of a narrow beam pattern. Definitely a byproduct of putting HIDs in halogen projectors. It's enough light to make me happy over stock halogen H11's, but a Morimoto Mini H1 retro might come sooner than later. These latest Morimoto bulbs/ballasts are quick to warm up and put out the same great light output their predecessors put out.
TRS does sell a projector set that bolts directly in place of the 10thgen halogen projector. At $170 ($195 if I include bulbs, which I'd need), I'd say it's not too shabby.

I'm rocking TRS's Morimoto Elite H11 kit which includes XB35 ballasts, XB H11B 5500K bulbs, and their HD H11 relay harness.

All courtesy of theretrofitsource's Black Friday sale

edit: I ended up saying "screw it" and moved the relays to the mystery plastic box in my engine bay that says "do not remove" on the cover. I was just not feeling the original position of the relays being double sided taped to the top of the fuse box. Just did not look clean, at all.
Name:  9hIzWKu.jpg
Size:  383.6 KB

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 12-01-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

looks good Josh. I want to put HID’s in my wife’s 07 pilot which has stock projectors. The hologen bulbs suck! I missed TRS black Friday sale but haven’t decided to go HID or LED since the technology has come a long way. Nice to see how they work with stock hologen projectors.
Old 12-02-2017
Administrator
Administrator

I was looking into LEDs before I bit the bullet on TRS' black friday deal. There are so many damn options out there with varying build quality and an even greater disparity in price from bulb to bulb. I've even seen some "meh" reviews about the Morimoto 2Stroke LED bulbs TRS has, and they're fairly up there in price compared to others on the market. At least with HID, we kinda know who produces quality for the best prices.

You're gonna wanna do some research as to which HID bulb to get for her car. For H11's (and yeah, halogen H11's blow) there are 2 variants: H11A and H11B. The only difference is the physical orientation of the bulb with respect to the return wire and the alignment/locking tabs. Wrong orientation, and you get a shadow of that return wire in the output beam. Since it's still a Honda, I'm willing to bet it's the same as mine, H11B, but I'd double check just to make sure. Given that they're stock H11 projectors, I'm wondering if TRS' retroquick projector for the 10thgen will fit in the Pilot, as well. Worth looking into if you wanna retro her car

edit: I'm just now realizing my posts advertise the ever living crap out of TRS, almost spammy. hahahaha
Old 12-02-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

HE’s A TRS SPAM BOT....GET HIM MODS LOL

Thanks for the info Josh. Yes LED technology still has me on the fence and the fact that’s it my wife’s car and not mine. If she was stranded with the kids in the dark without headlights I would be in the dog house lol. If it was my car I would chance it it I think I will stick with HID. I did check and I am H11b since my large tab is on the left side of the socket (according to TRS video). I will check into that full retrofit though, that sounds like it might work even though it’s an older Honda. If anything I’ll start with HID upgrade and go from there.

I am a TRS fan to though. Used them for my 01 Civic retrofit.
Old 12-08-2017
Registered!!

Prime310 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just replaced my damaged front driver's side fog light. A rock or other object must have damaged it on the road so I finally decided to replace it. I found the OEM Honda replacement fog light online and it's a perfect match for my ride so I'm really pleased with my purchase. This is my go to source for all the OEM Honda parts for my Civic. Here's a link to the fog light https://www.hondapartsprime.com/oem/honda-33950tbaa01-light~assy~l~fr~f.html
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Looks awesome!
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Been busy the past few weeks....

Name:	20171211_072152.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	111847   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_072109.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	111848   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_072120.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	111849   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_072028.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	111850  
Old 12-11-2017
Administrator
Administrator

DIY port polish? nice. Is it just me or does the second picture make it look like the head mating surface is kinda messed up?
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

DON'T BUST MY BUBBLE!!!!

I was playing around with the mating surface...don't worry, when i have the valve seats re cut with my new valves, i'll have them deck/mill the surface a red c. h.
Old 12-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Hahaha, I didnt know if it was lighting, angle, or you kinda polished where you weren't supposed to.

Gonna port match the exhaust ports while you're tinkering around with it?
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Purty much gonna match them ports!
I go to the dyno today then i'll start the tear down process.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your civic today?