General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What did you do to your civic today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PowWow is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What did you do to your civic today?

I took my exhaust pipe to the autoshop and had them weld it but when I took it back home it didn't line up with the converter! so I re-cut it and matched it up to the converter and marked it and took it to a second autoshop down the street. Took that home hoping that it would fit and bam it did with a few minor alterations that I had to do in order to make it fit. After that, I rotated the wheels and took it off the stands finally! been sitting on those for bout 2-3 weeks.. I still have yet to put the new battery in and take it for a test drive tomorrow. but the exhaust pipe sits a little bit too high and is scraping against the clutch bar (I think that's whats it's called) so I loosened some bolts here and there to give a little space between the two... i hope that it won't be too big a deal.
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

'99 Civic upper grille block delete for MPG

Using 1/16" aluminum, pop rivets and phillips head screws. Should help about 0.25 of a MPG in the summer, more in the winter due to quicker engine heat-up so less time in fuel enrichment mode. Free functional and fun. FFF

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/a...e%20for%20MPG/

I know it's not pro, it's just something I whipped together and it's not ever coming off.
Old 11-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

2012 Civic LX 4 door
Installed an OE Ambient temp sensor and ran wiring, displaying the reading on the iMID screen...Just like an EX.

Next project will probably be adding a backup camera and using the iMID screen.
Old 11-03-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danwat12345
'99 Civic upper grille block delete for MPG

Using 1/16" aluminum, pop rivets and phillips head screws. Should help about 0.25 of a MPG in the summer, more in the winter due to quicker engine heat-up so less time in fuel enrichment mode. Free functional and fun. FFF

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/a...e%20for%20MPG/

I know it's not pro, it's just something I whipped together and it's not ever coming off.
bro that's so tight! i'm gunna do that to my car! hold on, let me just load this up real quick and

really?! you HAVE to be kidding... but with the pics it makes me think you're not; seriously?!

i hear if you remove your side mirrors, it makes your car more aerodynamic; faster an better mileage
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Yea but the side mirrors have function, the upper grille doesn't. It doesn't have AC, just the d16y7 and the auto tranny to cool.

I'm serious! I can always buy another top grille and swap it out from the bumper if I ever want to go back to stock, but why would I.

It's like part 5th gen part 6th gen in the front.
Old 11-03-2012
The Boss ;D

Originally Posted by danwat12345
Yea but the side mirrors have function, the upper grille doesn't. It doesn't have AC, just the d16y7 and the auto tranny to cool.

I'm serious! I can always buy another top grille and swap it out from the bumper if I ever want to go back to stock, but why would I.

It's like part 5th gen part 6th gen in the front.
alright i kinda get it i guess; 5th gens don't hace a grille and yours does, understood.

but your post says "'99 Civic upper grille block delete for MPG" and then you state that you should get about .25 MPG better in the summer. i mean really, do you think that this grill cover is going to help with gas mileage?

i could see putting some cardboard behind the grill for the winter, but screwing and riveting a piece of aluminum over the grill? do you really think the gain from doing this is worth having it look like that? sorry, it's your car just saying.

and about the side mirrors, that was definitely a joke
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Oh yeah no problem. It's a very small increase in MPG no doubt but I think of the upper grille as purely cosmetic unless you are towing a trailer in death valley so I blocked it. I probably wouldn't have done it if I couldn't undo it some way.
It's 1 of the easiest mods to reduce air drag and reduce engine cold time. Got the idea from the website ecomodder.

I tried to make the metal slope so the air flows across it somewhat smoothly. You can see on the edges where I was wacking it really hard with a hammer to bend it.
Old 11-04-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

coroplast (plastic cardboard) from home depot would have been easier, and you couldve painted it black and put it behind the grill for looks or in front for aero. i dont think it gets cold enough here for me to consider it.
Old 11-04-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Actually, front grills are among the least aerodynamic features of a car because they allow air to be trapped in the engine bay at low speeds. Unless absolutely needed for cooling, our cars could live without an upper grill. If you look at hybrid Civics, you'll notice they have a streamlined grill and aero kit specifically designed for increased MPG.

That said, your grill cover is the ugliest thing i have ever seen on a car. Sorry, it's just terrible looking... I'm sure you could do better.
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

BNC8108 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am still working on my rebuild. my 92 civic ran hot and blew a head gasket so everybody kept telling me to just call someone to pick it up i said screw that if im gonna scrap it i might as well just attempt to fix it. so i tore it down to the block. took the head to work and had it resurfaced. took me a week to get my damn crank pully bolt off. got if off last night now i have to get a torqe wrench so i can make sure all my parts are torqed to the right spec. i replaced the water pump and timing belt. once i start the actual rebuild i have a head gasket set with all the bells and whistles to have a new gasket on anything that connects to the head. bought new spark plugs and wires. when i hear it start i am gonna replace the raditor. i am gonna do everything i can to keep this engine cool.
Old 11-04-2012
Learning in progress

Funkcrusader is an unknown quantity at this point

Cleaned the inside a lil and enjoyed a drive after lubing my clutch pivot joint, can't say how happy i am to not hear that squeak anymore.
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

BNC8108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I'm posting on this thread cause I know someone will see it soon. So anyways as I said earlier I am rebuilding my 92 civic d15b7 I have the head gasket set. I found a bag in it that says premium valve stem seals. Now my question is do I have to pull my valve out to replace these I think I have to but I don't wanna go through the trouble of taking all of these out and doing this. If anybody has rebuilt a head please reply
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ Yes, you have to remove the valves.
--------------

Sold the Civic today. Was asking $2700, took $2100.
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=lazlong;4623545
Sold the Civic today. Was asking $2700, took $2100.[/QUOTE]

What did you replace it with?

Yesterday I replaced the ECU in the car, which blew up two weeks ago...the dealership programmed the key to the car rather than the other way around (programming the ecu to the VIN and key of the car), thus rendering my remote starter inoperable, so I have to go complain now...
Old 11-09-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

changed my oil... in the rain... well as it started raining

Name:  28ef17aa4bae7b8e2f509cfa46535eb9.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  1.51 MB
Old 11-09-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

^
Back to the future
Old 11-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aetoc
What did you replace it with?
Name:  newodyssey.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  179.7 KB
2005 LX with 70,000 miles
Old 11-12-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lazlong

2005 LX with 70,000 miles
Looks like someone has a family now!
Old 11-16-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

As hard as it may be to believe, some kind of godlike force sheared the connecting wire to my passenger headlight...

I was driving along and the light went out. Turns out the bulb is only a bit worn, but the wire is cut clean in half. No stretches, frays, or chew marks in the wire at all. It's almost like someone deliberately cut it, but that's not really a possibility when my car is always parked indoors at night and the hood hasn't been popped in weeks.
Needless to say, I am completely bewildered

But I don't wanna mess with that now...
So I said screw it and ordered some 6000k HIDs.
We'll see how that goes in a week or two.
Old 11-16-2012
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought a nice shiny new AC compressor after mine blew it's guts this week.

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
and the hood hasn't been popped in weeks.
Mine stays popped most the time just to remind me to put it down.
Old 11-17-2012
The Boss ;D

installed the power steering cooler line and a new radiator. gotta love rust...
Old 11-17-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Working on rims and suspension as I speak
Old 11-17-2012
Registered!!

Got a Magnaflow.

Old 11-19-2012
The Boss ;D

how do you like the sound of the magnaflow max91?

i have a flowmaster 60 series and its kinda loud. my friend who owns a muffler shop is trying to talk me into switching out the flowmaster for a magnaflow and says it will sound better.

i want a little tone, but not too loud. sucks when have to get on it i nbusy traffic and past 2.5 rpm its just like a full bore weed eater..
Old 11-19-2012

I have a similar Magnaflow on 2.5" piping. It sounds a little bit more quiet and more grumbly than the canister muffler I had before. I'm not sure how it would compare to the flowmaster, but I assume it would be less intense. Flowmasters have custom machined flutes whereas the Magnaflow is smooth inside.
Old 11-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 94civicd16z6
how do you like the sound of the magnaflow max91?

i have a flowmaster 60 series and its kinda loud. my friend who owns a muffler shop is trying to talk me into switching out the flowmaster for a magnaflow and says it will sound better.

i want a little tone, but not too loud. sucks when have to get on it i nbusy traffic and past 2.5 rpm its just like a full bore weed eater..
I like it so far. Although, I still have the resonator in line. I'm sure if I have it removed, it will be a little louder.

What I did notice was when I accelerate thru the gears, that harmonic sound seems to be more tuned. (Maybe i'm just hearing things..LOL)

As fas the sound it is lower toned. My neighbor has a can and it sounds like a swarm of bees going down the road. Plus no chance of getting pulled over.
Old 11-19-2012
Registered!!

Wrapped my exhaust. Guess we'll see how that works for me.

Old 11-19-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Done with rims, tires, drop, and alignment.
Feels good.
Feels real good.
Old 11-19-2012
Registered!!

^Pics? I'd like to se that one.
Old 11-19-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Build thread
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...-thread-3.html

Will update with finished product tomorrow. We lose light at like 4:30PM now =/

Quick Reply: What did you do to your civic today?