General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What did you do to your civic today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: What did you do to your civic today?

I'm thinking about buying one of the knock off HFP front lips, hacking it up and installing brake vents....
Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paulymcd7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
Finally got my fogs installed after 3 months of sitting around!
And man.... the wiring in the kit is soooo wrong! Took a long time to figure out and I had to splice my own toggle switch.

Does anyone else have these and notice that they don't fit very well? It looks like they'd pop right in, but they stick out a little bit and don't sit very straight... does it look okay?
is it a snug fit though? like do they wobble and need zip tie support or are they pretty solid?
Old 05-14-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
dont expect oem fitment on ebay fogs
It doesn't seem like anybody even knows if these "OEM fogs" exist. I see plenty of EM2s with fog lights, but Honda part suppliers deny its existance and my dealerships refuse to answer. EM2 fog lights are like a closely guarded government conspiracy.

@Pauly - They are snug. They wobble a little bit, but they hold their place just fine.
Old 05-15-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

this is so cool. i just bought one on ebay. had made my own a while back but this is much nicer. planning to stick a voltmeter in there tied to the radio harness so i can monitor battery voltage better. using the multimeter thru the 12v socket plug is starting to get old lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170840091161...84.m1497.l2649
Old 05-15-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

^that's awesome. If only I had a reason for another gauge...

Sandblasted and painted my used Ingalls rear camber kit. Looks good as new except the bushings are beginning to crack
I don't think rubber bushings can be replaced in Ingalls kits... at least not very easily.
Old 05-15-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

finished the final coats of my lip painting last night.... waiting 48 hours for it to cure and for the rain to finally stop here in New England......

Also got a magnaflow exhaust installed on 5/11. sounds 1000000000 times better than any can. Super deep and zero rice rasp. best sounding exhaust I have heard. I have gotten many compliments in the past 4 days.
Old 05-15-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... Look what just showed up at my doorstep:

Name:  SAM_7622.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  146.8 KB

Not bad for 200 dollars shipped
Old 05-15-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It doesn't seem like anybody even knows if these "OEM fogs" exist. I see plenty of EM2s with fog lights, but Honda part suppliers deny its existance and my dealerships refuse to answer. EM2 fog lights are like a closely guarded government conspiracy.

@Pauly - They are snug. They wobble a little bit, but they hold their place just fine.
That would be because most dealership employees are incompetent.

Gear and Max both have OEM fogs.

^that's awesome. If only I had a reason for another gauge...

Sandblasted and painted my used Ingalls rear camber kit. Looks good as new except the bushings are beginning to crack
I don't think rubber bushings can be replaced in Ingalls kits... at least not very easily.
Email Dezod and ask if replacement bushings are available, they're absolutely amazing when it comes to customer service.
Old 05-15-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did the voltmeter wiring today, if anyone is curious the easiest way is tap the wires to the radio harness. black is ground, red/blk is dash light power, and yel/red is main power (ignition switched). voltmeters do not "use" any power, only measure it so the thin ignition trigger should work fine. the only downside is the voltmeter will not work when the engine is cranking, only in acc/on positions. not a big deal to me and i didnt feel like hacking up big ignition wires again. i can tell when a battery is dying by the starter sound anyway. now all i need is the voltmeter and pod. i ended up going with an old favorite i used in the past, isspro EV gauge. all white needle and numbers, with thru-dial lighting. will be putting an orange 5mm led to match the rest of the dash.
Old 05-16-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TFMEX
finished the final coats of my lip painting last night.... waiting 48 hours for it to cure and for the rain to finally stop here in New England......

Also got a magnaflow exhaust installed on 5/11. sounds 1000000000 times better than any can. Super deep and zero rice rasp. best sounding exhaust I have heard. I have gotten many compliments in the past 4 days.
hell ya bro! i'm also rock'in the megnaflow with a megnaflow high flow cat., vtec sounds sooooooo good =D
Old 05-16-2012
Premium Member

small cheap project today. i redid license plate leds but this time custom with warm white 5mm leds from ledsupply.com which are a perfect match to the stock bulb color. not as bright as i hoped, but maybe thats even better lol. used 3 leds per side with shaved tops, and a dyna-ohm resistor that outputs constant current. each side is about 0.15w power draw and a bit dimmer than stock 168 bulb.

Name:  warmwhiteledcustom-1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  warmwhiteledcustom-2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  14.1 KB

Name:  warmwhiteledcustom-3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  19.8 KB

Name:  warmwhiteledcustom-4.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  14.6 KB
Old 05-17-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

You never cease to amaze me with your lighting projects.
Old 05-17-2012

I'm installing my coilovers tomorrow and I'll have a brief overview during and after the installation.

I know how to safely disassemble the stock struts without a spring compressor, but will I need a compressor to put the coilovers together? (They use the stock top hats/mounts) I have someone helping me, so should that be enough, or do I dare rent a compressor? Quick and experienced reply would be appreciated!
Old 05-17-2012
Premium Member

its a good idea but on these cars can be done without it (we did mine without one). on old shocks, there is hardly any pop when removing. just follow Mex's spring diy.
Old 05-17-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
its a good idea but on these cars can be done without it (we did mine without one). on old shocks, there is hardly any pop when removing. just follow Mex's spring diy.
I've studied your DIY up and down several times and personally, I feel confident in taking them apart. I'm just wondering if I need to compress the springs on the coilover kit in order to put the hats on them. Your DIY is only about disassembling, not installing
Old 05-17-2012
Premium Member

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...info-pics.html

says you need one for reassembly
Old 05-17-2012

We'll see how it goes. I've heard from many people that depending on the new springs, sometimes you can get by without a compressor entirely. I'll get to the point of installation and see for sure. If need be, it's not to difficult to rent one from Autozone or O'Reily's
Old 05-17-2012
Premium Member

http://ortizcustompods.com/index.html

these guys have some great custom work. all hand made from the factory part. i got my ac vent pod insert today and it fits perfectly and even swivels up and down. gauge gets here saturday so i can put it all together.

look i also found another custom piece for our 7thgens. they have many other cars as well and do special orders.

Old 05-18-2012

Coilovers went in! No compressor needed!
Now to relax with some Dr. Pepper and gourmet Chinese food...
ow, my back...
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

ptsixsecondz is an unknown quantity at this point
What did you do to your civic today?

A solid wash and detail, inflated the tires, and checked the oil.
Old 05-19-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

OEM Fogs exists in the states, I wouldn't be too sure about the french colonies though.
The OEM fogs range from $250~$300 stock from dealership, compared to about $30~$50 ebay fogs
So you can see the reason for the popularity for ebay fogs
Old 05-19-2012
Premium Member

got my custom pod and voltmeter installed finally. i dont like the way the connectors work and wish they had spades instead of tiny nuts and studs, but it should be secure enough. i used plumbers goop to glue the pod to the vent (so it doesnt swivel up/down) and put a single layer of electrical tape around the gauge so it pressed snugly in without glue. and i stuck a couple of 5mm orange leds in to match the other dash lights. its wired up from the stereo harness and fed thru a couple holes in the rear dash. im very impressed with the quality of this hand made piece, and the gauge as well. fast response time of the needle. i can even see it tick back and forth when the signal is blinking lol. or see it drop way down when the hids are turned on. the pod itself is angled, more likely for better support of the pvc pipe they molded in. still plenty of room for the gauge to clear everything. the night pic is much brighter, but i wanted to get the colors right. it matches the rest of the led dash brightness and its a really noticable spot yet does not block windshield view

bad pic, i couldnt really get a clean shot because the gauge lens is highly reflective glass. it looks fine in person, but shiny in the pics. its all white numbers with thru dial lighting and the rest black.

Name:  01civiccustomhvacpod.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  01civiccustomhvacpod2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  12.8 KB
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

Hardcoresteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry

Last edited by Hardcoresteve; 05-19-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Y analog gauge?
Y not digital?

Steve is going ricer mode on us with all his pods :P
Old 05-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hardcoresteve
Was bored so I ran a 350z that was coming up on me quick. I pulled away so I slowed down to see what would happen head to head. I was assuming he would smoke me. But again I pulled away. I was shocked. I have full interior, two child carseats, and 200lbs worth of audio. I ran him from a light after to be sure. He didnt pull away until I hit ~ 70/75mph. Are the 350z that bad on bottom end?
No street racing discussion, please.
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Y analog gauge?
Y not digital?

Steve is going ricer mode on us with all his pods :P
i had a digital tach and volt gauge on my em2. i loved the fact that they were digital...for the first week or 2. then i hated them. their really bright (even with the dim wire hooked up) and have really slow response. maybe it was just my gauges but i think analog looks cleaner and more like their suposed to be there. digital might be cool on an 8th gen since they have digital speedos but youd have to have one that responds quick and isnt insanely bright. plus digital gauges get you a lot of unwanted attention.

btw 350

370 nismo
Old 05-19-2012
Premium Member

+1 on that. digital is terrible in every way for my needs. i wanted clean oem style lighting without being bright and annoying, and very fast response time. it looks like the gauge belongs there. the analog is still very accurate and i was able to make out voltages to 0.1v accuracy compared to using a multimeter. its not rice because i already make very good use of this thing. you can see when the alternator is being cut to 11.8v or charging at 13.8v depending on whether you are pressing the gas or not, you can see voltage drops when turning on accessories, it will let you know if the alt is charging lower than it should (way before the idiot light comes on), and whether it is overcharging which can ruin electronics, and you can see the resting battery voltage with the engine off in acc mode. its one of the most useful gauges in the car. esp since i have 15 lb braille battery. its good to know when you need to give it a charge.

oh and with my hids and led park lights, im able to go into alternator cut mode at night too. before with stock lighting, that would never happen and you always got 14v output no matter what. good for some better mpg at night. and with my brakes being led (half power compared to stock), i also found out that the voltage stays at 11.8v when i stop and keep it in D. but if you want the battery to charge like before, you can always shift to neutral.

Last edited by gearbox; 05-19-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2012
Kenny the Ricer

I have a digital voltmeter waiting to be installed...
If i ever decide to install it
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

HCMCVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoped, pushed, walked, towed and still problem solving. I hate when I forget my phone. Find out tm.
Premium Member

compare the reading to a multimeter first. many of those digital voltmeters (esp the cheap ones) are terribly inaccurate.

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I have a digital voltmeter waiting to be installed...
If i ever decide to install it

Quick Reply: What did you do to your civic today?